Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Although not an expert, it appears to me the boat was in a left turn, started to steepin up the turn and hit a wave pattern that caused the boat to rock back and forth and as the bow lowered it shift the center of gravity of the boat forward causing the pad to break loose and bingo a spinout. It will be interesting to see what the experts say. Tres where are you?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Although not an expert, it appears to me the boat was in a left turn, started to steepin up the turn and hit an wave pattern that caused the boat to rock back and forth and as the bow lowered it shift the center of gravity of the boat forward causing the pad to break loose and bingo a spinout. It will be interesting to see what the experts say. Tres where are you?
x2 IMO

·
Offshore Freak!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You ever skip a rock across the water? Looks like the same thing here. Making a left turn, leaning inside, hit the swell and started to skip until the nose grabbed in.

Looks like a fun ride. :p
I spun out the whaler once while doing a turn at full speed once this summer!! I was running at top speed with the boat "skimming" on top of the water!!! I like drifted the boat to the side... but it didn't completely spin out. Pulled the kill switch and the engine shut off! And also i once almost stuffed the boat when I took my girlfriend out!!!

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
I spun out the whaler once while doing a turn at full speed once this summer!! I was running at top speed with the boat "skimming" on top of the water!!! I like drifted the boat to the side... but it didn't completely spin out. Pulled the kill switch and the engine shut off! And also i once almost stuffed the boat when I took my girlfriend out!!!

I would think spinning out a Whaler would take some talent!

We use to spin out my friends Mastercraft on purpose when I was younger. :)

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Luckily I've never spun out my 13, have almost flipped it more times than I care to think about :)Unsure I did spin out a 17' Whaler when I worked as a wakeboard/water ski instructor :))eek:)) had to check my shorts once I got back to the beach:)grn

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Pretty cut and dry from the video. Boat was in a turn going over swell. Left steering input was there while the boat was catching a slite air. Rear of the boat was still in the air and "loose" when the V grabbed. You can pretty much see it coming a few moments before it happened.

Even though stepped boats are trickier to run in turns, that could happen to a straight hull just as easily.

·
Offshore Freak!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty cut and dry from the video. Boat was in a turn going over swell. Left steering input was there while the boat was catching a slite air. Rear of the boat was still in the air and "loose" when the V grabbed. You can pretty much see it coming a few moments before it happened.

Even though stepped boats are trickier to run in turns, that could happen to a straight hull just as easily.
Ahh, now I undertstand, but whats with the smoke at the end? Turbines overheated after?

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Ahh, now I undertstand, but whats with the smoke at the end? Turbines overheated after?
Smoke is dark. Chances are they were running in cold weather and that is just the steamy exhaust but you don't notice it until the boat is not moving as it all congregates.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Although not an expert, it appears to me the boat was in a left turn, started to steepin up the turn and hit a wave pattern that caused the boat to rock back and forth and as the bow lowered it shift the center of gravity of the boat forward causing the pad to break loose and bingo a spinout. It will be interesting to see what the experts say. Tres where are you?

I think you called it. Crazy with the white exhaust smoke after. Just heat on cold water?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Step bottoms require balance, there are certain events in physics that take place in a turn and with the introduction of steps,the footpint under the boat is totally changed.Propriety info I am unwilling to release, but in a nut shell the the outdrive is being attacked in the turn and new driving skills need to be used to navigate the turn, a 5 step one to be correct. The things we teach in the class stop these type of mishaps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts