Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing along this article. I thought this would have started to loosen up a bit by now but it isn't. Kind of scary that even the PD's are having a difficult time getting ammo. I have been able to pick up a few boxes of 40 occasionally at WalMart but other than that forget it. I am good for now but hope this does somehow resolve itself soon.

Out of ammo

Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:08 AM CDT

NO BULLETS: Popular handgun and rifle ammunition, such as these .45-caliber bullets, have been harder to come by in recent months. FILE
Bullets getting harder to come by for police and citizens alike

By Bridget Lewison/The Daily News

BULLHEAD CITY - In recent months, customers looking to buy ammunition for their handguns and rifles have been met with empty shelves at Walmart, Big 5 and other retailers in the Tri-state.

Reasons given for the shortage vary, but the law of supply and demand also means prices have spiked. The pinch is not only being felt by citizens but by law enforcement.

“There is a major issue within police agencies across the nation,” said Bullhead City Police Department Capt. Ted Appleby. “Right now, we're actually waiting on an order of ammo we put in six months ago. Some agencies are seeing 18-month delays.”

Appleby says the department has enough ammunition on hand and, although higher prices have impacted the agency, it has the support of the City Council on the issue.

“We're not using as much ammo as we used to,” he said. “We're being conservative, but we still are meeting training requirements.”

According to the Newtown, Conn.-based National Shooting Sports Foundation, April marked the sixth consecutive month of significant increases in gun sales. Data released by the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) reported 1,225,980 checks in April 2009. This figure is a 30.3 percent increase over April 2008.

In November, a record 1,529,635 background checks were performed, a 42 percent increase over November from the previous year.

“Everything has gone up so much in price,” says Wes Griffin, a gun and ammunition dealer who has lived in Bullhead City for 50 years. “Certain guns that are popular for home defense, such as the .38 automatic, I have one for sale but I have no ammo. I can't get it.”

Griffin says people are “panic buying” out of fear over what the new administration may do in respect to gun laws.

“A lot of people are concerned,” said Arizona District 3 Sen. Ron Gould, of Lake Havasu City. “When Walmart gets a shipment of ammunition, it goes out the door within a couple of hours.”

Gould, a Republican, says gun owners are stockpiling because they're afraid of losing their gun rights.

“People are afraid of what Obama and the Democratic Congress is going to do,” he said. “We've got an (U.S.) attorney general (Eric Holder) that's an anti-gun attorney.”

Gould, who saw gun and ammunition sales step up even before Obama was elected, says the stockpiling has created a bottleneck in ammunition supplies across the country.

“It's feeding on itself,” he said. “Because there's a shortage, that scares people. Then they hoard.”

Ammunition reloading supplies also have become scarce.

“I can't even get primers for reloading, and without that, you can't reload,” said Griffin. “Popular powders also are hard to get. Bullseye, the fastest burning and most economical, you just can't get it.”

Once-fired brass cartridges used in reloading also have become hard to come by, says Gould.

“Vendors used to buy them from the government but now rather than being sold for reloading, they're selling them for scrap metal,” he said. “Fiscally, that's not too bright. (The cartridges) are worth more as once-fired than scrap brass.”

While most retailers have boosted the cost of boxed bullets, Walmart has not followed suit.

“We're keeping it at the same price, but we have seen a shortage of handgun and rifle ammo,” says Chuck Cherry, who works in the Bullhead City retailer's sporting goods department. “Shotgun shells we have plenty of.”

Cherry said he believes manufacturers are one of the hang-ups in the lack of ammunition, citing retail's place in the supply chain.

“Speer (Bullets, out of Lewiston, Idaho) has a big contract through the government,” he said. “The military gets its share, then the police departments, then the Homeland Security Department, and then everyone else.”

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
I've been up in Idaho, 40 miles from Lewiston ( Speer Bullet MFG HQ ) for the past 6 weeks. I make 3 trips weekly to 4 different "sporting goods " stores looking for .30 cal carbine & .45 cal ammo. To date, I've managed to score 'ONE" box of 50 rounds, .45,......$17.95 One of the 4 stores is a huge "Cabella's" . As said in the article, when a shipment comes in , it's gone in hours.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I recently read an arcticle saying that the military, who has for a very long time sold empty brass to various ammunition manufactures, has now told these companies that they will not be permitted to purchase the empty cartridges with the intent of reloading. Instead any purchased brass must be sold overseas for scrap.
I guess it is a way of lessening the availibility of ammunition... gun control without having to run it by the public first.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I recently read an arcticle saying that the military, who has for a very long time sold empty brass to various ammunition manufactures, has now told these companies that they will not be permitted to purchase the empty cartridges with the intent of reloading. Instead any purchased brass must be sold overseas for scrap.
I guess it is a way of lessening the availibility of ammunition... gun control without having to run it by the public first.
After some political pressure, I believe this was done away with.

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Ive been going through the same deal. In the last 5 weeks Ive been to Turners in HB, and Chino Hills on their shipment days (mon and Fri) and both times came up empty. Went to Bass Pro and nothing there either. Ended up getting some at the Ontario gun show. Purchased abt 500 rds. Some new and some are reloads. I ended up buying a kit to do my own reloads. They seemed to have mostly 38's in stock, but I also got a few hundred 9mm and 40 SW500 rds.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've been up in Idaho, 40 miles from Lewiston ( Speer Bullet MFG HQ ) for the past 6 weeks. I make 3 trips weekly to 4 different "sporting goods " stores looking for .30 cal carbine & .45 cal ammo. To date, I've managed to score 'ONE" box of 50 rounds, .45,......$17.95 One of the 4 stores is a huge "Cabella's" . As said in the article, when a shipment comes in , it's gone in hours.
I just split 1k of .30 carbine
plus I bought 1k of .45

Again http://www.bvac-ammo.com/

set up an account and have it shipped.

Come out her to the gun show coming up. i think its a crossroads show. they got ammo. get here early hr or so before it opens and you'll get ammo.

·
639 Posts

this is really a great site - plenty of ammo at a good price. Very good if you like to buy 1000 rds+ at a time.

Ammo is easy to get. I was at a local gun show a couple weekends back and there was a lot there. Walmart, bass pro and Turners & etc. are constantly out. But lots of the little mom and pop gun stores/pawn shops have ammo, and even at a decent price.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have an order of 2k primers that is on backorder.Luckily for me i already have about 1500 left SR,LR,LP sizes,plus the loaded rounds i already have.So i can get thru the winter time for a couple of trips.
I was able to drive locally around here last month and find 500 bullets for .45,100 for 30-30,another 50 for 300 win mag,500 large pistol primers,bullseye powder,imr powders for 300 win mag and .223(normally use h335 and rl22 but hard to find then),Plus i received an order for 1000 .223 55fmj bullets.Brass i have plenty of .223,quite a bit for .45 with firend who has alot that doesnt reload so i ican have that too.

Shortage of primers look on gun broker.com alot for sale but way too much for me to spend for somethiing that cost 25 per 1000.Seems many have taken advantage of the situation and bought with intent to resell it to other gun owners.

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
I have a few online places I order from. I started ordering a couple months ago just to stock up since I was running low. Most of it was back ordered but a little bit shows up every week. Still waiting for the last of the .357 I ordered to show up. The UPS lady must think I'm crazy. I've had over 5000 rounds of ammo show up here within the last 2 months.

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
Makes me feel good to know that I have a whole bunch of components stocked up...

And to think, the wife thought I was crazy dragging it around with me whenever I moved

·
Registered
362 Posts
As of 1500 Hrs. today, Bass Pro in Rancho has about 7 boxes of .25 Auto, 4 of 454 Casull, about 10 of .500 S&W and 2 or 3 .41 Magnum on the handgun side, and about 30 boxes of .22 magnum left on the rimfire aisle. Luckily I was in need of .22 Mag, so I grabbed 4 boxes for the new revolver that's waiting for me at "Annies get your gun" in Corona.

I went out and bought 3 rimfire guns this last month, a Sig Mosquito, and two Taurus revolvers, a 941 .22 Mag and an older M94 9-shot .22 LR. Both were used, and both under $325.00. I'm getting tired of trying to feed my centerfires when there's no food for them on the gun store shelves... and .22 LR is at least affordable when I can get it. (The .22 Mag is mainly for backpacking, and for the wife to have at home. Better than nuthin')

This run on ammo is the same type of hoopla that got people speculating on oil last year. We all saw that gripped supply and sent gas and oil prices through the roof. It'll end soon, I'm a guessing. Holder was already chastised by several Western State Dems that told him to lay off the gun ban crap and enforce the thousands of gun laws already on the books because they're in districts that support the 2nd amendment. Let's hope they're on his arse about it until he's gone.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have a few online places I order from. I started ordering a couple months ago just to stock up since I was running low. Most of it was back ordered but a little bit shows up every week. Still waiting for the last of the .357 I ordered to show up. The UPS lady must think I'm crazy. I've had over 5000 rounds of ammo show up here within the last 2 months.
That is funny, I wonder how many of us are now on the DHS watch list due to online ammo purchases.......:D

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
It's out there....you just have to look for it. In the past two months, I've got thousands of rounds each of 7.62x39, 9mm, .40, 12 guage buck and slug and .22 LR. Just gotta look for it. I'm well stocked and no longer buying for the time being. :D

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
That is funny, I wonder how many of us are now on the DHS watch list due to online ammo purchases.......:D
That's funny cuz DJ was already on the watch-list, oh yeah, that was the Cal-DOJ pervert grammar-school watch-list, my boo-boo.:D

Just found an on-line supplier of Nosler jacketed HP in 40 that sold by the bulk
CHEAP! Ya just gotta look and actually read what is listed.
Rio

1 - 20 of 32 Posts