Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the approximate amperage draw for a msd or equivalent
ignition system ? buddy of mine is building an airplane engine and wants to know if his alternator will be strong enough to handle all the demands ... thanks

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
I'd go straight to the source for that info...........but I wouldn't talk to a salesman!

Might even try Steve Brule over here......... http://www.westechperformance.com/contact.htm

He will likely know who to talk to if he does not know.:D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
ignition system ? buddy of mine is building an airplane engine and wants to know if his alternator will be strong enough to handle all the demands ... thanks
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... Do I dare assume there is a variance in the aircraft's certification that permits this instalation, or in the engines mfr's certification, or that your buddy is getting an experimental certificate from the FAA for his about-to-be illegally-modified airplane?

FAA only plays nice when you follow their rules.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Whole different ball game with home builders, they can run what they desire as far as power plants go. The only restrictions they have, is equipment required to fly in controlled airspace, and IFR flight

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Like I said, he'll be flying on an "Experimental" type certificate then.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Good question, I have not a guess on that one. I would suspect probably so tho, if it is designed with seating for such.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
So you can experiment on buzzing people,cars,boats.

Its fun coming up from behind them;)
Well, that would be "practicing" actually. LOL. :D

Good luck to the guy MSD'ing his bird. I work in aviation and would never wish a bad landing on anyone.

(A "good" landing is one you walk away from). :D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Had a customer put a Lasar brand electronic ignition / mag, in his Piper Cherokee six. Almost bought the farm twice, from mag failure. Both times were on practice approaches, went to pour on the coals, but nothing was there. He declared an emergency landing for the first incident, and made it. The second time he was gonna be short, but the mag came back to life. The system had a fail safe, it failed twice on him, they checked it out both times by the MFR, but never got re installed after the second time.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Well, while not a 100% guarantee, this looks pretty convincing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts