Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an orphan in the sense that my boat is neither a vintage v drive nor is it a modern XYZ with a jacked up v6 outboard. Can I draw on you v drive guys for some memories/experience with old Rayson, Stevens, etc. outboards. I know it's off topic, but " I got no place to go!"

Attachments

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
We sold em back in the day...both Rayson and Stevens...I personally think they are way cool....Cap the thing (take the rub rail off and give it to the Panic Mouse)...and paint the cap..would be even cooler...

Just having some fun with you...welcome..and prepare for an ass lashing from a big hairy dude named Maximus...he is our resident O/B king...and some other feller named Scarlata...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
160b

WELCOME TO THE ZOO! YOU & YOUR SHIP WOULD BE WELCOME TO MY SWIMIN HOLE ANY TIME! [CFW] ANDY :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
My first boat 40 yrs. ago was a Stevens with a 100hp Merc hangin' off the back! Welcome.

·
Raysoncrafter
92 Posts
That's a sweet little ride you've got there. I like seeing the v-drive's 'little brother' with the wacker motor on the back. It seems there weren't as many of them saved from oblivion as there are v-drive inboards- but it could be different on the west coast.

I've got a Raysoncraft LP barn find that I've been off-n-on with for several years; I got it running and haven't torn it down completely to do a proper resto on it. To complement it I ended up with a racer friend's 17' Raysoncraft outboard that needs restoration, and I'm just starting on it now. With the 200 Merc that's on it, it'll probably give some v-drives a run since it's so light by comparison.

Post some more pix of your boat- Love 'em.

Dave

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
You may want to also post up in the Outboards in the Tech Section and the Outboard Church in the Clubs & Groups section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We sold em back in the day...both Rayson and Stevens...I personally think they are way cool....Cap the thing (take the rub rail off and give it to the Panic Mouse)...and paint the cap..would be even cooler...

Just having some fun with you...welcome..and prepare for an ass lashing from a big hairy dude named Maximus...he is our resident O/B king...and some other feller named Scarlata...
I'd never! One of the most impressive things about these boats is the whole deck/hull seam can be covered by that tiny rub rail. These old California builders treated fiberglass work the same way the car customizers of the period treated metal work;all metal and lead,no bondo. When fiberglass came around most boat manufacturers saw it as a way to pop out more boats. If you stuck your hand under or behind anything on most old fiberglass boats it would be cut to ribbons. When you think about it, this whole current carbon fiber look craze when you see carbon fiber beautifully finished and displayed on car dashes, etc. is where these California fiberglass guys were 50 years ago! The woodwork and creativity with wood is a whole story in itself. Besides the occasional wood slats in a T bucket trunk, woods only application in the whole golden era of hot rodding was in boats. The clean look and purpose built image is gone forever though. These old hot rod boats are way under appreciated.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
the older Tower of Power with a racing 2 blade on it!! Hell its still a Flat with a prop and not a mud pump on it:))THumbsUp Looks clean and has more interior room than most of these flats..
Is that a private lake? I noticed the ramp is made from wood slats to match the dock?

·
6,576 Posts
I'd never! One of the most impressive things about these boats is the whole deck/hull seam can be covered by that tiny rub rail. These old California builders treated fiberglass work the same way the car customizers of the period treated metal work;all metal and lead,no bondo. When fiberglass came around most boat manufacturers saw it as a way to pop out more boats. If you stuck your hand under or behind anything on most old fiberglass boats it would be cut to ribbons. When you think about it, this whole current carbon fiber look craze when you see carbon fiber beautifully finished and displayed on car dashes, etc. is where these California fiberglass guys were 50 years ago! The woodwork and creativity with wood is a whole story in itself. Besides the occasional wood slats in a T bucket trunk, woods only application in the whole golden era of hot rodding was in boats. The clean look and purpose built image is gone forever though. These old hot rod boats are way under appreciated.

I don't disagree with you...but allot of boats were capped also back in the day...the only reason most of these little O/B's weren't is cost...I like the the slight, non obvious things that make people wonder what is different than what was normal..and on a boat like this...the cap would be one of those small little differences that make people stand and stare...trying to find it..JMO...either way is good...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't disagree with you...but allot of boats were capped also back in the day...the only reason most of these little O/B's weren't is cost...I like the the slight, non obvious things that make people wonder what is different than what was normal..and on a boat like this...the cap would be one of those small little differences that make people stand and stare...trying to find it..JMO...either way is good...
You're right, I seen some of the boats you speak of; taking skill/creativity to the next level. An entry level outboard pulled off the line and capped AND a monkey wood deck...how 'bout that?

P.S. How'd you get a 2,000 cc Alfa to drift like that?

·
6,576 Posts
On the Alfa Romeo...if you google my name you'll see I'm the 1967 Drifting World Champion...ya gotta google waaaaaaaaay back though...like before Al Gore invented the internet...

On the monkey pod deck...Dude...that would be the shizznit..!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys for letting me barge in on the inboard thread. The ramp is actually made up of concrete blocks. This Raysoncraft came over two thousand miles to my home. I have to find a proper v drive now. Hillborn or Weber IDs, through transom exhaust, wood deck, original, mint and gold bars hidden under the seats. The gold bars might be the easy part.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Nice piece! Is the dip in the dash (that creates the platform for the Morse engine controls) a factory done deal or is it a separate piece that somebody added for the controls to mount to? Really like the idea......its different!

CC

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
That's a sweet little ride you've got there. I like seeing the v-drive's 'little brother' with the wacker motor on the back. It seems there weren't as many of them saved from oblivion as there are v-drive inboards- but it could be different on the west coast.

I've got a Raysoncraft LP barn find that I've been off-n-on with for several years; I got it running and haven't torn it down completely to do a proper resto on it. To complement it I ended up with a racer friend's 17' Raysoncraft outboard that needs restoration, and I'm just starting on it now. With the 200 Merc that's on it, it'll probably give some v-drives a run since it's so light by comparison.

Post some more pix of your boat- Love 'em.

Dave
Nice Pitts Dave, in your avitar. Is it an S1 or S2? I built an S1S from plans back in the early 70's.
Dave K

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Nice piece! Is the dip in the dash (that creates the platform for the Morse engine controls) a factory done deal or is it a separate piece that somebody added for the controls to mount to? Really like the idea......its different!

CC
As far as the piece for the controls goes, my money is on the added by some one. I have seen lots of these little Rayson's and none of them ever had that piece on them. I could be wrong though. I was wrong once before...:rolleyes::happy:

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone did that. Nice job, though. Original "merControl" and no evidence of controls mounted anywhere else.

·
Raysoncrafter
92 Posts
Mine is mounted on the left side of the left hand stringer just in front of the driver's seat. Just a shifter with the keystart- throttle is a hotfoot. My aft deck with the engine well looks similar in design. I've got to replace the tilt tube and steering cable, and am thinking about hydraulic steering, but wow! $$$. May just go back original like yours. Mine has an extended steering wheel post to keep knees out in the open, too. Thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts