Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
how much HP will a Bravo1 handle?
they used to put a stock bravo 1 behind a 500 hp I feel the older drives had better metal in the gears now mercury puts a stock bravo 1 behind a 385 horse 496 mag (or now the 8.2 mag) if you step up to the 425 horse mag ho you get the bravo 1 x but it really depends how you drive

·
self proclaimed idiot
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I'm asking is a friend of mine just bought a 28' magic tunnel with a 496HO and is looking at having me install the marine pro charger kit set up for that engine but I'm not sure if the drive will be able to handle it. Anyone ever use one of these kits? What upgrades are out there for the Bravo? I don't want to install the unit if it's going to spit gears out of it first time out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
upgrade the bravo internals to an XR or buy an XR upper minimum for that. A standard bravo will not hold up long with that boat and engine combo. Imco SC and Max drives are a good option or if you want to really step it up go to the SCX from Imco with the SC lower. Depends on budget too. Upgrade now while the drive is still good, for resale or to build up cuz if you blow it it probably gonna be worthless at that point. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
upgrade the bravo internals to an XR or buy an XR upper minimum for that. A standard bravo will not hold up long with that boat and engine combo. Imco SC and Max drives are a good option or if you want to really step it up go to the SCX from Imco with the SC lower. Depends on budget too. Upgrade now while the drive is still good, for resale or to build up cuz if you blow it it probably gonna be worthless at that point. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
x2 with what hullshot said If that is a 496 ho your friend has it would have an bravo x drive on it witch has the larger u joint shaft and steel tower you could drop xr gears right in the case witch should be fine for the aplication

·
self proclaimed idiot
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if the boat is at his house or not but if it is I'll take pics of the engine and drive then post them tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to jack your thread but I'm kinda in the same boat. Im going to be building a 600-700 HP big block and want to know what I can upgrade on my bravo 1 so it can handle the power or do I have to change drives. It's a stock 1998 b1 in a advantage 27victory. I would lily to keep the b1 if possible to save money.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Sorry to jack your thread but I'm kinda in the same boat. Im going to be building a 600-700 HP big block and want to know what I can upgrade on my bravo 1 so it can handle the power or do I have to change drives. It's a stock 1998 b1 in a advantage 27victory. I would lily to keep the b1 if possible to save money.

It will all depends on how you drive it.. It will be hard on a stock Bravo1 drive but some have had them last a while. I would upgrade while you still have a good drive to sell or trade. Its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It will all depends on how you drive it.. It will be hard on a stock Bravo1 drive but some have had them last a while. I would upgrade while you still have a good drive to sell or trade. Its just a matter of time.
Well its not a race boat or anything like that. It will probably live around 1/2-3/4 throttle most of the time. Maybe a few speed rims when there is a couple of us so almost never. It's mostly used for tubing and hauling a lot of people. Are there upgrades for the bravo 1 to make it handle the power better. I'm gonna be bringing the boat home this winter to get the hole drive serviced anyways so I figured while I'm in it I could upgrade. But if its not worth it ill just leave it stock.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Well its not a race boat or anything like that. It will probably live around 1/2-3/4 throttle most of the time. Maybe a few speed rims when there is a couple of us so almost never. It's mostly used for tubing and hauling a lot of people. Are there upgrades for the bravo 1 to make it handle the power better. I'm gonna be bringing the boat home this winter to get the hole drive serviced anyways so I figured while I'm in it I could upgrade. But if its not worth it ill just leave it stock.

Its usually 90% of the time the gears them selves that fail, try to find a set of modified Bravos or get the X gears. I have a great used set with welded floors, which was the upgrade back before the X drives?

·
self proclaimed idiot
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the boat will be around for me to see in a few months so Ill find out what the drive is then. He is ready to upgrade the gears if he does the pro charger unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
good used upper 92 bravo 1

I am looking for a good used upper for a 92 bravo one that is on my 26' eliminator. If anyone knows of one for a good price let me know thanks. 928-941-382three or 928-920-137nine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts