Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a daycruiser that I need to put some music into. There are currently 4 6x9's and a pair of old ADS amps. There was also an ancient Sony Cassette player too! Anyway I want to use my iPod as the source and have a head unit that can be run from a wireless remote to control it all. There are two large seat boxes on each side with a speaker in each facing front and a set facing each other in the aisle back to the sunpad. I was thinking of adding another pair of co-ax's facing the rear.

I will do the install myself, but I need help selecting components. 1st, Can I get away with just the 6 co-ax's without a sub? We are in our 50's and don't need more than competent clean sound while we cruise, we don't plan on entering any contests! There is a bench seat facing forwards in front of the engine/sunpad that could be used as a sub-box if it was needed.

My budget is only $1500 so I know there will be a lot of compromises, but most of the money is going into my new motor. Maybe Redneckcharlie has some ideas? I saw some JL audio stuff on eBay, is that any good?

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Which ADS amps do you have? Have a model? They made some killer product back in the day. You may be able to reuse the ADS amps(depending on power) for your highs, and then just add an amp for a single sub. Seeing as you already have holes cut for the 6x9's, I wouldn't change the size of speaker you use. It would probably just create more work for you without much gain. I'm running these in my doors in my superduty, with there 130kp components in the kick panels. The clarity and detail is really nice. The efficiency on the speakers is in the low 90's which is really good as well. I've always been a fan of JL Audios sub, but not so much for there highs. Being at your age(I'm 41 next week), your probably going to like a speaker thats a little brighter. When we(guys especially), get over thirty we loose some of the ability in our hearing to hear the higher frequencies, thus the reason for little brighter speaker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOCAL-690-CA1-A...s?hash=item20ac3709be&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

These are really nice as well. They just werent't available when I was setting up my truck last time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Morel-Tempo-Coa...66:2|39:1|72:1234|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which ADS amps do you have? Have a model? They made some killer product back in the day. You may be able to reuse the ADS amps(depending on power) for your highs, and then just add an amp for a single sub.

Being at your age(I'm 41 next week), your probably going to like a speaker thats a little brighter. When we(guys especially), get over thirty we loose some of the ability in our hearing to hear the higher frequencies, thus the reason for little brighter speaker.
I will check on the model of the amps and get back to you tomorrow night, it would be nice to be able to reuse them, the money I save can go towards a sub. Is it possible to use them as mono amps, one per channel, and have 4 outputs per amp? That would allow me to use up to 8 speakers. How would I hook in the sub amp? Directly off the head unit or is there a crossover in between? Do you know of any online sources for building sub enclosures? I could put it into the center bench seat as long as I don't use up all the space under the seat.

I know what you mean about needing a brighter speaker. I began to use hearing aids about a year ago to compensate for a loss in the upper register. When I take them off everything sounds dead and colorless for a while until I get used to things. BTW I probably won't be wearing them on the lake: the wind noise is just too annoying. These devices are amazing bits of technology, but they can't cope with a 50 mph wind!

· Registered
5,323 Posts
I will check on the model of the amps and get back to you tomorrow night, it would be nice to be able to reuse them, the money I save can go towards a sub. Is it possible to use them as mono amps, one per channel, and have 4 outputs per amp? That would allow me to use up to 8 speakers. How would I hook in the sub amp? Directly off the head unit or is there a crossover in between? Do you know of any online sources for building sub enclosures? I could put it into the center bench seat as long as I don't use up all the space under the seat.

I know what you mean about needing a brighter speaker. I began to use hearing aids about a year ago to compensate for a loss in the upper register. When I take them off everything sounds dead and colorless for a while until I get used to things. BTW I probably won't be wearing them on the lake: the wind noise is just too annoying. These devices are amazing bits of technology, but they can't cope with a 50 mph wind!
Once you get the model numbers on the amps, I can steer you in a better direction. If your amps don't have a built in xover, you can simply buy a stand alone unit to split the sub and highs. Your head unit may have a sub out on it as well.

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What can you suggest as an iPod interface/head unit? A wireless remote unit would be great due to where it will be mounted. The PO had a wired remote, I suppose I could do one of those if wireless isn't available. BTW I like the speakers you linked to, thanks.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
What can you suggest as an iPod interface/head unit? A wireless remote unit would be great due to where it will be mounted. The PO had a wired remote, I suppose I could do one of those if wireless isn't available. BTW I like the speakers you linked to, thanks.
The last few years I've been using Eclipse. Previously I always used Nakamichi and Alpine. If you can find a retailer around you that has the Focals or the Morels, you should go listen to them. They really do sound nice. The really cool thing about quality audio(car or home) is it really makes you enjoy the music that much more. Atleast for me.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/cd/index.html
I really think its hard to go wrong with any of the top names, there all fairly decent quality for a boat application. You should be able to get a pretty decent unit in the 250-300 range with all the features your wanting. Some of the units require a special cable to hook the ipods up. Just make sure when you order a unit, that you ask for anything needed to hook up the ipod.
This one can be had for about 250 with the ipod adaptor.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-CD5100-...66:2|39:1|72:1234|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
This is a decent unit as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALPINE-CDA-...66:2|39:1|72:1234|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Charlie, the amps are ADS Powerplate 100's have you ever heard of them before? They seem to be in good shape. Thanks Michael

· tintingsandiego
1,060 Posts
I would get at least one sub. 6x9s tend to throw sound farther but seperates will give ya better sound over all. You dont need to get a head unit if you ipod has a volume control. It can be plugged into the amp. If you already have a nice cut in your dash, then get a good used head unit. Check craigs list and make sure u have an aux out to plug the ipod/sat/mp3 into.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Hi Charlie, the amps are ADS Powerplate 100's have you ever heard of them before? They seem to be in good shape. Thanks Michael
Those are very good amps. There two ohm stable, and very clean. I would NOT replace those, just add a sub amp. Are yours the straight amp, or do they have the built in x over. On a side note, ADS's 320i component set is still one of the best speakers ever produced. Is there by chance a model number still on your amps? Usually on the back. If not can you email me a pic of the end of it?

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Hey Mike, if you use two sets of 6x9's on one amp, and a set of components mounted higher up on the other by the driver and passenger seats, you'll get a better "stage" so to speak. You could also go with a 6 1/2 coax instead of components as well. You'll pretty much have the same output to each set of speakers. The one thing most people over look in speaker selection is the efficiency of the speaker. The ones I referenced were in the 92-93db range which effectively gets you the same output out of 50 watts a channel as a 88-89db efficient speaker at 75-80 watts. If you added a dual voice coil 10(8ohm, wired in parallel, equals 4ohm load), coupled to a 100-150 watt mono amp in the bench area somewhere you'd really have a pretty nice sounding stereo.

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are very good amps. There two ohm stable, and very clean. I would NOT replace those, just add a sub amp. Are yours the straight amp, or do they have the built in x over. On a side note, ADS's 320i component set is still one of the best speakers ever produced. Is there by chance a model number still on your amps? Usually on the back. If not can you email me a pic of the end of it?
There is no model number, just Powerplate 100. There is a built in EQ circuot with "low Level input" but only left and right outputs with 2 + terminals and a common ground for each.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
There is no model number, just Powerplate 100. There is a built in EQ circuot with "low Level input" but only left and right outputs with 2 + terminals and a common ground for each.
You'd be better off just purchasing a 2-channel stereo amp that can be run in mono for your sub, then using the high level out on that amplifier to feed your 2 ads's. I'm sure you know this but you could just bypass the whole head unit and use your ipod if you wanted to save a few bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARC-AUDIO-FD210...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1234|293:1|294:50

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What sort of device would I need to just use the iPod and it's volume control? I don't want to just take the headphone out and just boost it up when there is the ability to take a pre-amp out and keep the iPod charged when I plug into the bottom of the iPod. Do any amps use a USB input as a selectable input? If so then I could do just as you suggest and use a new amp to drive the sub as a mono and take the higher frequencies out of it in stereo to send to my two ADS amps. They can drive a total of 8 speakers and that is more than enough since I plan on running 4 or 6 6x9's.

Any links to a good sub speaker along with a suitable amp? That way I can get all the stuff at once.

· tintingsandiego
1,060 Posts
some head units have usb. u can get a stereo 1/8 male to rca's and plug directly into amp.....no stereo needed for the ipod. the only down fall on no head unit is u loose control over speakers, like bass/fader and such. or you could just get a good pre amp to adjust. u would plug ur ipod into the pre then the pre into the amp/amps. i have jl audio amps in all my toys. got 300/4 for mids n highs and 500/1 for subs with a bass control knob. have two fans per amp and two size 29 batts. i go all day on one batt with system and then switch two all to fire up boat. has been doin it for years. i do get new batts every two years just because....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.