Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question on King bearings ?

We did two blown Alky 540 BBC engines about 3 years ago.
Fired the first one up on the dyno, using Brad Penn 50wt.
Did a little warm up, ran the valves, check things out, checked the oil filter, things were good !

After the 3rd real pull, checked the filter again, found "shavings" in the filter. They were soft , aluminum colored.

Took the engine back to the shop, pulled the pan, looked things over. The rod bearings were coming apart in flakes ?
Like flaking apart in layers ?

Called King, they said there shouldn't be any problems , must have been a bad batch ????
We took everything apart, washed everything up, used Clevite this time this time, did the dyno, and it ran for the 3 years now ?

You guys got any ideas or had any trouble like this ?

( the 2nd engine we just started with the Clevite bearings after the first experience )

·
Registered
6,287 Posts

Did a little warm up, ran the valves, check things out, checked the oil filter, things were good !

After the 3rd real pull, checked the filter again, found "shavings" in the filter. They were soft , aluminum colored.

Took the engine back to the shop, pulled the pan, looked things over. The rod bearings were coming apart in flakes ?

Called King, they said there shouldn't be any problems , must have been a bad batch ????
We took everything apart, washed everything up, used Clevite this time this time, did the dyno, and it ran for the 3 years now ?

( the 2nd engine we just started with the Clevite bearings after the first experience )
I've always used the Clevite . I just stick with the what has worked.
Seems all the parts today have QC problems. The price never goes down, just the quality.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GN, I don't remember which model they were, but, the engine owner had called King and got the right model. Not really sure what the deal was. I've seen lots of guys talk really good about them ?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
GN, I don't remember which model they were, but, the engine owner had called King and got the right model. Not really sure what the deal was. I've seen lots of guys talk really good about them ?
King lists their bi metal bearing as a racing-performance bearing, as opposed to the OEM line, like Clevite "P" or Federal Mogul AP.

The King HP bearing is roughly the equivalent of using a Vandervil or Clevite "V" bearing. Not a bad nearing, but not something I would use in a blown alky deal.

King XP bearing is similar to Clevite "H" tri metal bearing. Much harder, with less embedability, but withstands much higher loads.

When a bi metal HP bearing fails, you see aluminum in the oil, when a XP fails, you see copper.
Performance | King Engine Bearings

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
In my quest for being learn-ed...

How does one adjust clearances on the bearing? It seems to me (obviously incorrectly) that if you want a little more clearance for a marine engine you would want a bearing with more clearance, If the rod is fixed, and the bearing is fixed, how do you adjust the clearance?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

Yes, how use ACL, We use to use Vandervil Cann't find them anymore

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yes, how use ACL, We use to use Vandervil Cann't find them anymore
The only issue with ACL right now is the availability. I haven't had a problem yet, but I haven't bought any in a few months either. I have heard that supplies were slow and limited with some bearings on indefinite backorder. Those things are shipped world wide, and I don't think that the U.S. has any special priorities with them.
Hopefully, who ever ends up buying the company will maintain the QC and improve the supply. I have come to really like the bearing. By far the best consistency of any bearing I have used in the past 10 years.

Recievers, managers and sale of ACL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The only issue with ACL right now is the availability. I haven't had a problem yet, but I haven't bought any in a few months either. I have heard that supplies were slow and limited with some bearings on indefinite backorder. Those things are shipped world wide, and I don't think that the U.S. has any special priorities with them.
Hopefully, who ever ends up buying the company will maintain the QC and improve the supply. I have come to really like the bearing. By far the best consistency of any bearing I have used in the past 10 years.

Recievers, managers and sale of ACL
Man I miss the old days when you could by a bearing in 001 002 010 and so on. Seems now you need to have the crank turned to journal size required!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Man I miss the old days when you could by a bearing in 001 002 010 and so on. Seems now you need to have the crank turned to journal size required!
You can still buy +,001 and -.001, in "H" series bearings, as well as -.002 for some applications, but only in the the POS bearings you could buy "good ole days" like TRW/Clevite/Speed Pro, "P" bearings.

You can buy .009 .010, .011, .019. 020. and .021for most applications in "H" series bearings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts