Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we tried to break a stock LS engine on the dyno and couldn't do it.

junyard 4.8L LS V8
opened top ring gap up to .028 from .015 using the factory rusty rings
reworked stock heads
comp hydraulic roller
FAST intake
76mm turbos

60 dyno pulls!
1,203hp at 26psi and it didn't break...

read all about it in the September issue of Hot Rod Mag.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
so what are we talking about here Finn? 60 1/4 mi runs? Give me that a POS, we'll break it for ya.

WTF, did you get fired, or they just didn't invite you to help on the "Whats going to break" articles? Is this the very same Hot Rod that wrote that article? Exactly where to we stop believing some of this BS. The second you pick it up? This month they break, next month, 26 lbs of boost, 1000 HP and still ticking:)sphss
Breaking things is an art form. Once you can break an avil in a sand lot using a PlaySkool plastic hammer, then you can move on to things like LS motors.:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Come on Bottom Feeder, don't be bringing that limp wristed 500hp stuff around here. Finn's talking 1000+. and ready to take on Indy for 500 miles, flat footed. I built 500 horse SBC and SBF when I had a paper route. Smokey Yunick was building 1000+HP 180 inch SBC's back in the 60's. The Mallicoat Bros were building 750 SBCs on gas back in the 60's. The power is nothing new.

If you want to know whats going to let go, give it to me in its present form and we will run it till it breaks something. Something tells me it will happen in less than 60 miles. Or one of our weekends. My guess would be we would tear the crank snout right of the thing inside of 50 miles. But then, thats a given. Right?

1200 hp, plus the weight reduction, yeah, we could get the job done with that:)devil
I figure its just a matter of time before we see these things in K's PS, and GN's The BBC can just go find a nice cozy spot to lay down and die. Its days in dominating boat racing are over.:)sphss

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on Bottom Feeder, don't be bringing that limp wristed 500hp stuff around here. Finn's talking 1000+. and ready to take on Indy for 500 miles, flat footed. I built 500 horse SBC and SBF when I had a paper route. Smokey Yunick was building 1000+HP 180 inch SBC's back in the 60's. The Mallicoat Bros were building 750 SBCs on gas back in the 60's. The power is nothing new.

If you want to know whats going to let go, give it to me in its present form and we will run it till it breaks something. Something tells me it will happen in less than 60 miles. Or one of our weekends. My guess would be we would tear the crank snout right of the thing inside of 50 miles. But then, thats a given. Right?

1200 hp, plus the weight reduction, yeah, we could get the job done with that:)devil
I figure its just a matter of time before we see these things in K's PS, and GN's The BBC can just go find a nice cozy spot to lay down and die. Its days in dominating boat racing are over.:)sphss

Actually Bob, you are the only one talking about taking on Indy and 500 miles.

Would everybody here that runs for WOT for more than half a mile please raise their hands?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
:)hand
Dang Gn7 I am heart broken even painted the thing red as a tribute:)devil
No disrespect, but really, even I would be hard pressed to break old style SBC at 500 HP. And I can break anything. Ask Steel. Now, if you really really want to impress me, get yourself a 500HP fogger, and a dozen 10lb bottles and get it going flat out, push the button and hold it there till the bottles run dry. Then repeat as neccesary.:)st

Feeder!, We are talking 1200+ from a slavaged junk yard refugee here. Just open the ring gaps till you no longer need a ring compresser, and shove 26 psi down its throat. Full tilt race motors are no standard equipment in each and every 1/2 ton pickup.:)devil
God Bless GM and the United States government for saving them.

Next week: 1500 HP from a 6.2 Ford pickup motor. Same place, same time

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Finn, you know as well as I do, that I have said more than once, it is a kick ass 1/4 piece. It is not, never will be a replacement for the BBC in large lake boats, which is where all this BS over the ls started a long time ago. I still say to this day, some one built a 1000 hp LS stuffed in a 25 ft Daytona and let me have it for a weekend. Maybe you can sell me, but I doubt it.

As for busting 1200+ out of a junk yard motor. Finn, thats hack and you know it. I have seen 150,000+ mile 5.0 Fords bang out 750 on pure spray and live to tell. For awhile.
the whole thing reminds me of buying vinyl wrap for your boat and calling it a custom paint job:)devil
Where is the gratification in taking a junk yard refugee and pound 26psi up its ass?
Finn, at least the leaf blower story was entertaining and funny. This is neither. Nor is it really very educational or earth shaking. Nor am I one bit surprised that the very mag that tested the leaf blowers, and ran the article "what breaks", also had a hand in this. But then, in the late 70's, they were really big into custom vans, so.....

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finn, you know as well as I do, that I have said more than once, it is a kick ass 1/4 piece. It is not, never will be a replacement for the BBC in large lake boats, which is where all this BS over the ls started a long time ago. I still say to this day, some one built a 1000 hp LS stuffed in a 25 ft Daytona and let me have it for a weekend. Maybe you can sell me, but I doubt it.

As for busting 1200+ out of a junk yard motor. Finn, thats hack and you know it. I have seen 150,000+ mile 5.0 Fords bang out 750 on pure spray and live to tell. For awhile.
the whole thing reminds me of buying vinyl wrap for your boat and calling it a custom paint job:)devil
Where is the gratification in taking a junk yard refugee and pound 26psi up its ass?
Finn, at least the leaf blower story was entertaining and funny. This is neither. Nor is it really very educational or earth shaking. Nor am I one bit surprised that the very mag that tested the leaf blowers, and ran the article "what breaks", also had a hand in this. But then, in the late 70's, they were really big into custom vans, so.....
Bob-there have been multiple articles on "what breaks" in HR and many of our readers dig the content.

As for being not being educational...that depends on who's reading the story, isn't it?

I know it must have occured to you that you represent a sliver of the market that this type of content is not geared towards.

But that's not the point. The point is for you guys to fight over another LS engine that won't/can't work in a boat over 20-feet long. Game on!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Never said the "what breaks" wasn't educational and informative. Quite the contrary. In fact I found it interesting, and even mentions the damper that broke, that EVEYONE on here thought was damaged prior to it breaking, and yet, no mention of the failure being related to damage, but more like design/material/RPM/STROKE. I believe I mentioned stroke in that thread. But yesterday it breaks, today, its ready to take on the Blue Water 300 at 1200HP trim.

Why would anybody in their right mind buy one of these, when can drop in a LS 4.8 turbo deal, and have gas for life, still put your kids thru college, and even a few bucks for beer. And only give up 100 HP

Over 20ft? No finn, one of each in a 27 ft Daytona, and game on! I'll need a relief driver, you'll be in the bar before noon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bob-there have been multiple articles on "what breaks" in HR and many of our readers dig the content.

As for being not being educational...that depends on who's reading the story, isn't it?

I know it must have occured to you that you represent a sliver of the market that this type of content is not geared towards.

But that's not the point. The point is for you guys to fight over another LS engine that won't/can't work in a boat over 20-feet long. Game on!
Ok I am bored here is some ammo. 21 foot welded aluminum hull, box stock ct 525 crate motor, and a ditch pump. 114 mph. NOPE cant work! race length 50 to 100 miles.

GN7 I am sure you are running close to twice the HP with less drive loss. What speeds are you seeing?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ok I am bored here is some ammo. 21 foot welded aluminum hull, box stock ct 525 crate motor, and a ditch pump. 114 mph. NOPE cant work! race length 50 to 100 miles.

GN7 I am sure you are running close to twice the HP with less drive loss. What speeds are you seeing?
I carry more gas than your boat weighs. No way in hell we could keep up with you. Thats why you should haul that thing up here and enter it in the 300. Seriously. You'd own em.

But see, your missing the point. See Finn pointed it out. Please don't throw some fly weight alumn beer can into the picture. This is about big power pushing big weight. OVER 20ft is a wide spectrum. I assume it includes 36 ft Formulas and 40 Outerlimits. Like I said in the previous post, here my choice, you two head off the the wrecking yard and grab yours.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Look. We can all agree that a stock motor - no matter mfg / size - can only take so much abuse. Some more than others. These are just the facts.

GN7, in the original call-out about LS motors, you said there absolutely WON'T be / CAN'T be ANY LS motors racing in boats. A few peeps have now shown you some. Now you are changing to rules to "GN racing only" or "27 foot boats". I guess the playing-field is getting narrowed down at least?

BTW, 24-hr LeMans is a DAMN-SIGHT more abuse than you are throwing at your motor. After watching the video, you are skipping across the water for a short distance - backing off slightly for the turn - back on it for short distance, etc, etc. Similar to any other roundy-round stuff.

LeMans, granted it's land-based, but they are standing on throttles, full-off (full vacuum / reverse load) and then full on again. Over and over for TWENTY FOUR HOURS. Your race is quite a bit less than 24 hrs. LS motors have been pulling this off for several years now. Most of them showroom stock! I get it that it's not 800hp or so (don't recall your hp numbers), but they aren't 300hp either! 500 and change being abused over and over without a rest.

With all due respect, I don't see your setup staying alive for 24 hours straight of full/off/full/off throttle applications. At the very least, the blower wouldn't like it - would it?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Beer, don't go throwing the LeMans GM deal in the same category as this junk POS. Please Beer, don't be that stupid. Whats next, you going to compare it to a RO7?
You cannot find one single post where I ever said it didn't make a great drag boat engine. Or that it wouldn't work in a small V-drive or jet. 2 guys at work have them in their weekend warrior wake barges, and they are bitchin. I never even said they won't work in a potatoe chip weight white water jet @ 550 hp, and run all day long! Although Bottom Feeder will love to tell you I did. But he can't find it.

I didn't change the rules. READ!!!!! Not my challenge! I would be fine with leaving it at it is the greatest drag motor ever!
I would love to take Finn up on this. His 1200+ hp against a Teague 1100 quad rotor, or hell, why not the Merc 1350.
By bitch with this engine is as a offshore, big HP, pushing alot of weight, (as in over 20 ft) Like say 30, it a major looser. Imagine 2 in a 40ft DCB. Look at the weight savings. I wonder if this LS 4.8 is the top of the line option at DCB?:)sphss

If Finn is right, and this thing can take down the 1350, then there are at least 6 engineers at Merc that should get their walking papers. Hell, doesn't Merc have the GM engine department's phone number. Are those guys living in a cave. Haven't they learned by now this THEE way to 1000+ hp. Imagine 2 in a 40ft DCB. Look at the weight savings. I wonder if this LS 4.8 is the top of the line option at DCB?:)sphss

Why didn't Merc just call GM, get some LS truck motos, a hand full of turbos from the Duramax, and bam, screw that OHC, 4 cam, 4 valve, twin turbo'd deal that requires a #8 drive. Think of the money you would save on the drive alone!
I only bring in the big guns, because there way too many people who are still insisting this thing will bury the BBC with this thing, because they winged 1200+ out of one.
BFD

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Kewl thread....it may not be a GN MOTOR. But for the average joe boater that just wants to stab it every now and then...man what could be cooler. I want a pair of hair dryers so bad its killin me.lol:)devil:)grn

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
GN this, and GN that. Its closer to being a HALF decent GN motor, it miles from being a big lake boat or offshore motor. And that the point. Ask Finn. Is this the replacement for the 40 Outerlimits trying for 200MPH at LOTO? Is this the next bigger poker run engine. Did Merc waste their time creating the 1350? I am of the opinion, not hardly. Not even close. Its a great motor for the smaller pleasure run about at a reasonable HP. Not 1200 of UNBREAKABLE HP, straight from the wrecking yard. :)sphss

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Beer, don't go throwing the LeMans GM deal in the same category as this junk POS. Please Beer, don't be that stupid. Whats next, you going to compare it to a RO7?
You cannot find one single post where I ever said it didn't make a great drag boat engine. Or that it wouldn't work in a small V-drive or jet. 2 guys at work have them in their weekend warrior wake barges, and they are bitchin. I never even said they won't work in a potato chip weight white water jet @ 550 hp, and run all day long! Although Bottom Feeder will love to tell you I did. But he can't find it.

I didn't change the rules. READ!!!!! Not my challenge! I would be fine with leaving it at it is the greatest drag motor ever!

I would love to take Finn up on this. His 1200+ hp against a Teague 1100 quad rotor, or hell, why not the Merc 1350.
By bitch with this engine is as a offshore, big HP, pushing alot of weight, (as in over 20 ft) Like say 30, it a major looser. Imagine 2 in a 40ft DCB. Look at the weight savings. I wonder if this LS 4.8 is the top of the line option at DCB?:)sphss

If Finn is right, and this thing can take down the 1350, then there are at least 6 engineers at Merc that should get their walking papers. Hell, doesn't Merc have the GM engine department's phone number. Are those guys living in a cave. Haven't they learned by now this THEE way to 1000+ hp. Imagine 2 in a 40ft DCB. Look at the weight savings. I wonder if this LS 4.8 is the top of the line option at DCB?:)sphss

Why didn't Merc just call GM, get some LS truck motos, a hand full of turbos from the Duramax, and bam, screw that OHC, 4 cam, 4 valve, twin turbo'd deal that requires a #8 drive. Think of the money you would save on the drive alone!
I only bring in the big guns, because there way too many people who are still insisting this thing will bury the BBC with this thing, because they winged 1200+ out of one.
BFD
We ran a pair of Teaque motors at desert storm and were over shadowed by the Merc 1350's

The engines and drives were put to the test at desert storm. Ran flawless.

I can't think of any other sport that stresses a engine and drive more than power boating

If it can last in a endurance boat chances are you will never break it on the street

And I think 1200 out of a junk yard special is great :)devil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
And I think 1200 out of a junk yard special is great :)devil
So do I Steve, so do I. But, lets be realistic. It is not a replacement for the 1350, or a Teague 1100 Quad.

Teague will be back with his stock off the shelf quad* in a 21 ft boat running the 300 this year. Some LS proponent should haul one out and put him in his place. I'm thinking BottomFeeder is the perfect candidate.:)devil
And Finn should lone him the 1200 HP beast.

EDIT: *PUMP GAS 1100 QUAD

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GN this, and GN that. Its closer to being a HALF decent GN motor, it miles from being a big lake boat or offshore motor. And that the point. Ask Finn. Is this the replacement for the 40 Outerlimits trying for 200MPH at LOTO? Is this the next bigger poker run engine. Did Merc waste their time creating the 1350? I am of the opinion, not hardly. Not even close. Its a great motor for the smaller pleasure run about at a reasonable HP. Not 1200 of UNBREAKABLE HP, straight from the wrecking yard. :)sphss
first off, i'm not arguing either way for the LS.

will it make big power? definitely. Can it last? i think so. Is it right a GN boat or a 40 foot Outerlimits? I have no clue. Never done that test.

But I do recall you Bob saying the crank would break in half....in the case of the 60 dyno pulls on a stock bottom end 4.8, that didn't happen. that's all I'm saying.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts