Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
700 hp, 21 daytona, split bowl berk. I have a alum. AB cut in the pump now, I was thinking of seeing how the new motor does with that.....but I don't want to blow shit up and waste $. I dunno, I'd like to look into a HH impeller. but I'm confused enougph trying to figure out what cut to order for a regular impeller. Any thoughts?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
700 hp, 21 daytona, split bowl berk. I have a alum. AB cut in the pump now, I was thinking of seeing how the new motor does with that.....but I don't want to blow shit up and waste $. I dunno, I'd like to look into a HH impeller. but I'm confused enougph trying to figure out what cut to order for a regular impeller. Any thoughts?
HP? RPM?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
if i were looking for an impellor, i'd be all over that aa stainless berk for 350.00
look in parts spam;) have it cleaned up to a detailed a-cut:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I know, I got it
sweeeet:)devil there's never that nice a ss impellor around when i'm lookin for 1, i just bought a new 1 couple months back, did get a smokin deal though.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
No HH fans in the crowd?
The question is, do you have the HP to justify a HH? Give Duane a call on Monday or something.:)bulb I'm sure he could set ya straight on them, and whether or not you would see a difference.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Just to be different (and to stir a perfectly good thread) ;-) :

5-blade billet

Now, in reality, not nearly enough info here to make a legitimate piece of advice. :)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could give cam specs ect. I have no idea where my peak hp is ect. I thought I may try the ab just to get an idea of where I'm at. Motor is a NA 557 BBC. I think the hp would be closer to 800 at sea level but more like 675-700 up where I am. How accurate are those desktop dynos's.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I could give cam specs ect. I have no idea where my peak hp is ect. I thought I may try the ab just to get an idea of where I'm at. Motor is a NA 557 BBC. I think the hp would be closer to 800 at sea level but more like 675-700 up where I am. How accurate are those desktop dynos's.
Might as well start the usual urinating contest on this thread............

They are as good (or as poor) as the info you feed them. I have offered dozens of people to compare the electronic build figures to real dyno reports, for informational and learning purposes.
Not a single follow-through (although one guy wanted to play "guess my cam").

Some say they are at least 10% off, others will claim 1-2% error in their experience.

Even at 10% error, IMO there is a great deal of value in "having one eye open", as opposed to being completely blind, so, even aproximate figures (when you are not at the point of tuning a racing setup for absolute hair-split max performance) are plenty usefull.

Also, it allows you to make changes, to the virtual engine, for $0 spent, to figure out trends and direction to go, so as to be more likely to avoid a bad choice when you spend $$$$.

If you want to PM me (or post, I don't care), every spec. you have (cam specs, head flow is most important if you have it, otherwise head casting # and I will try to find some data, bore/stroke, intake and exhaust, carb size, etc.) Need valve sizes in the heads preferably. Like in my case, '049 heads normally came with small stock valves, but, SOME had the bigger ones, some people had them installed.

Maybe we can at least get you enough information to be able to work with.

You have to start somewhere and some people forget that not everyone has the money laying arround to go live at a dyno shop in their neighborhood, if they even have one in their neighborhood.
And not everyone is trying to be, or able to be, a cutting-edge racer.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks SmokinSS, I may take you up on the dd, as far as the basics, it's a 4.5 bore by 4.375 stroke. I ended up keeping my brodix bb2plus heads 800 dp carb for now, tt's,single plane manif. And it's only 9 to 1 because down the road I want to add some kind of boost. Cam is a custom solid roller with .715 and .705 lift. I think I've talked myself into running the ab and noteing the #'s. And then start with a "aa" and see what happens. Thanks for the input all.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Good luck with it MOFO, basic setup your motor is done, all needs is exact cam valve moment specs to finish it.

As far as it is, looking like a really flat power peak from 5-6-grand, ballpark 600HP so far.

I would personally stat with at least an "A", but better a "AA", much easier to cut it smaller than to add material. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts