Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (7-14-09) along the OC coastline had another horrible fatal accident involving a child. An 11 year old girl was participating in a Jr. Lifeguard class. They were learning high speed drop offs from the back swim step. Drop off was completed without incident, 32' Crystal-Liner returned to pick up the 3 juveniles, unknown how the victim got separated from the the group, but the young girl was accidentally ran over by the lifeguard vessel. Died in surgery from severe lacerations around 5 pm tonight.

Teach all on your vessel if they go in the water arms up and waving, swing clothing items, even remove your suit and swing it like a flag- BE SEEN! Whatever to make your self seen, dive deep only as a last resort to avoid an inevitable collision - teach safety and have a plan with every one on your vessel. All harbor offices will give you a free whistle to attach to your life jacket.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved, another horrific scene, very sad incident, Be safe out there!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Horrible news. May the family overcome this terrible tragedy.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Training....

Tragic...:( Don't understand this training though...esp. at such a young age...
Is it possible she was a mock "victim" as part of a rescue exercise? Still, putting an 11 year old in that type of position leaves a lot of un answered questions. My condolences to the family, and to the adults that allowed this awful tragedy to un fold. The Jr Lifeguard program is a terrific asset to the beaches of So Cal, and to future Lifeguards in general. These youngsters have to be devoted to the tasks and training at a level a lot of adults are not capable of. Very sad story for all involved.............Ray

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Sad story and thoughts for the family.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Very curious how an 11 year old would be invloved in what I'd consider a higher level of training.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow, my heart goes out to the little girl and her family as well as all the others involved. I can't imagine what the entire crew and other kids are going through!
This just goes to show it can happen to anybody! Be careful out there people!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
My thoughts and prayers to the family and the driver of the boat, he had about 30 yrs experience from what i heard.

My daughter is an instructor at Castaic Jr. gaurds and teaches the kids in this same age group. I just asked her if her kids do the speed drop at that age and she said "Hell no" kids 14 yrs and older. That doesn't mean the HB Jr. gaurds is the same. I do think 11 is a little young for that kind of exercise.

This is also the first fatality since 1964 when the program began. It is a great program and teaches them so much. My 3 kids have done it for anywhere from 4-7 yrs.

It also should show all of us no matter how much experience we have accidents can still happen and we need to always be aware of our surroundings.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Very sad news. RIP little girl.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
What a terrible, terrible tragedy. :(

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I can't believe a child that young would even be participating in something like this. WTF does she need to learn how to do a high speed rescue for? Are they manning the rescue boats with 11 year olds? It's an unnecessary risk IMO.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Is it possible she was a mock "victim" as part of a rescue exercise? Still, putting an 11 year old in that type of position leaves a lot of un answered questions. My condolences to the family, and to the adults that allowed this awful tragedy to un fold. The Jr Lifeguard program is a terrific asset to the beaches of So Cal, and to future Lifeguards in general. These youngsters have to be devoted to the tasks and training at a level a lot of adults are not capable of. Very sad story for all involved.............Ray
unfortunate the fats were not posted, this drill was a high speed drop off of lifeguards, this drill has been performed by kids of the same age for over twenty years without a problem, the real facts will be disclosed later after the investigations are over, its fricken tragic new none the less!!

They would not put kids of this age in position that would harm them (at least you wouldnt think)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jr. Lifeguard Program

As posted since 1964, no problems, I believe 30,000 plus children in the program, not to mention there are city, state and county programs all going along the coastline. I have never heard of this happening before. Without down playing the severity of it, I personal have assisted in these exercises. This program has definitely saved many lives!

Being involved in the Jr. Lifeguard program, I always thought it was a great program. The kids would swim out to my boat off salt creek and I would give them the 15 minute spiel on public safety, our jobs. You could see it sparked interest and enthusiasm in their faces. This day they were going to do their first drop and they were nervous and excited alike. I saw many of this children become full and part time lifeguards, not to mention it made them focus on goals, even at an early age. They all seemed to have plans, Lifeguard, firefighter, cop etc....

As far as this incident, I have no words to describe how sad I am for that little girls family, also the 32 year veteran who dedicated his entire life and existence to saving peoples lives.... he had saved so many people in his career, a true hero, and now has to live with this.... so sad....

I started this thread as to educate whoever will listen, get the word out. If you or your passengers go in the water, stay together, get as high in the water as possible, wave arms frantically, remove clothing item and swing high as possible, yell, scream, be seen, dive deep only to avoid an inevitable collision. Put a whistle or reflective tool on your vest. If your the operator or vessel owner, educate the occupants on your vessel, have a plan, discuss safety and the safety equipment on your boat.

As far as this incident I heard it was a routine 3 person drop, have know idea how it could of went so wrong, don't even want to speculate. The facts will come out soon.

Condolences to family and grieving public safety officer.....and all involved

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
facts posted?

unfortunate the fats were not posted, this drill was a high speed drop off of lifeguards, this drill has been performed by kids of the same age for over twenty years without a problem, the real facts will be disclosed later after the investigations are over, its fricken tragic new none the less!!

They would not put kids of this age in position that would harm them (at least you wouldnt think)
the first sentance of the post read:

Today (7-14-09) along the OC coastline had another horrible fatal accident involving a child. An 11 year old girl was participating in a Jr. Lifeguard class. They were learning high speed drop offs from the back swim step.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
I was a participant of HB JG when I was young.

I can honestly say that the speed drop is not that dangerous.

Obviously some of you commenting were not raised in Huntington Beach, nor participated in this program.

It is a freak accident, and a tragedy.

Condolences to the family of the girl and the boat driver.

I heard about this yesterday when I got home from work. I have neighbors with kids who are in this.

·
Senior Expert
252 Posts
Speed Drops

I was in Jr. Guards in HB when I was a kid, did it 3 years in a row. I don't think what they were doing was a training excercise, this was done for fun. They are called "Speed Drops" and yes you stand on the back of the boat and when the captain gets up to speed and says "go" you drop off the back into the wake. It was something we all looked forward to during Guards. I think it's pretty safe, her falling into the wake wasn't the cause of death. This is one of those rare but sad cases. I am 37 yo now and I don't recall hearing any accidents at all since coming out of the Jr. Guards program. Jr. Guards was a great experience for me. So sorry to hear about this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts