Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
New shots

I stopped working on the Belmont for a bit because of many other boat projects.
Got back going on it.
Built a new deck over top of the existing one -Mahogany
My brother and I (mostly him) rebuilt the top end of the Caddy 390. Talk about a pain in the ass it is finding parts for this engine. Spent over $400 just rebuilding the starter and prctically bought a whole cadillac just for the engine parts.
The upholstery is pretty close to being done. Fabbed up all new seats and seat bases.
Stained the deck today

Here are some pics of the progress

Belmont Stained 2.jpg Belmont Stained.jpg Belmont Caddy.jpg

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Very cool Gerk, I will not be progressing nearly as fast as you are but it will still be fun, it is fun looking at your pictures, everything seems so familiar. Check the position of your exhaust outlets, they may be upside down. On our Belmont and other early ones that I've seen, the point on the flange of the outlet faces down. I don't think it makes a functional difference, it is just the way I've seen most of them mounted. Looking good, it is great to see another one out there. Greg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Gerk

We have talked the past ? Your project looks bitchen & thanks for sharin! I am going threw cad hell as i type! Took the motor out of the bristol just to freshin it wrong! 2 blocks & 4 sets of cyl heads later i think "we" have something to work with? Shit it would have been easyer & cheeper to put one of my bbc,s in her but this onray old man is hell bent to keep her as oringal as posable! Again thanks for the up dates! Andy;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm Really pumped... for your project!!!

Thx for the new photo's. Now I really want to jump in.... does anyone know of some other Belmont's out there needing some lovin' care.... I love mine and would enjoy a project!
Please keep those pic's coming!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My Dad has a 1969 Belmont Flatbottom sitting in the yard waiting for me to get my hands on it to restore. He bought it in 1978 after he threw a rod out of the motor in his 59 Belmont in essence sinking it...i literally shot through the bottom of the boat! This one used to be raced up to the month before my dad got it. It has the original thorobred v-drive with straight cut gears, original trailer, and the original license plate on the trailer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Belmont varnish.jpg

A new shot of my progress.
The boat is now down in SanJose area getting upholstery done. Engine is in-Not wired but in.
Fixing the windshield now. Anyone know how to hide a verticle crack right down the center of my plexyglass windshield?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Hey VISALIA KID - been to Kaweah lately? I am curious as to the water level right now. I grew up in Tulare and skiied on that lake two or three days a week during summer when Dad got off of work. I was probably 11 or 12 and would have our 16' Tahiti hooked up to the PU and we would head up there at 3 or so, ski until dark, and come home in time for dinner.

I took my Sleek there two years ago and it was STUFFED fuller than I had ever seen it. There was no visible water line from previous years and very little beach areas. SlickRock was completely covered and you could take a boat clear back into the area to the far east that is usually just picnic area. Not much of the dam showing, either. Just packed full. If it's still that full, I might try to make a trip there before it gets TOO cold. I would imagine it's pretty far down by now, since the cotton is done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Holy SH%$.
Thats it. THE SHARK. Thats the boat I worked on. (unless there were more made)
Post up some more pics if you have any.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
One of these days I'll get around to the Belmont, an early 1970's flat bottom, set up for left turn only, Pontiac 428 driven off the snout, was raced locally. My hands are just too full with other projects...but I am finally putting a dent in all my personal projects as of late. The Belmont is currently 3rd in line, right behind the hydro.

LO

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Restore

WE HAVE TALKED IN THE PAST & PROJET LOOKS BICHEN! CANT WAIT TA MEET YA & SEE THIS PIECE OF HISTORY! RE THE CAD MOTOR I,M GOING THREW THE SAME HELL RIGHT NOW & NEED A SET OF 390 RODS BADLY ANY CONTACTS? I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF PARTS LEFT OVER IF THEY WILL HELP YA? ANDY 530 633 9055 :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I,M GOING THREW THE SAME HELL RIGHT NOW & NEED A SET OF 390 RODS BADLY ANY CONTACTS? I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF PARTS LEFT OVER IF THEY WILL HELP YA? ANDY 530 633 9055 :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp
I have a rebuilt (last year) 390 Cad installed in my 1959 Sedan DeVille. Original engine in that car. I am sure I can dig up the original receipt for the rebuild, but it's just a stock street motor that was freshened up. Rods were resized and are good, so you can buy the whole engine, if you wish. Going to part the car out, as it is real rusty and the body is not worth fixing. Still in the car and running/driving. If you are interested, I'll get a price together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bandit

I still have the leftover stuff out of the original 390. I had to buy a new block, but the rods should still be good.
Let me know if you want them

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I still have the leftover stuff out of the original 390. I had to buy a new block, but the rods should still be good.
Let me know if you want them
That's probably gonna be better than my deal. As I mentioned, mine is a complete motor, pulleys, AC, generator, carb to pan, fan to flexplate. I have $4,000 in receipts for the rebuild, balance, and assembly. That's what I would need for it. It has maybe 10 miles on it since break-in.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Beer

Thanks for the quick response! Sorry i,m in so deep in my rebuild that cant go back? Tryin to work with greg right now. Andy:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shark memory

My family spent time at shaver lake every summer. The shark was always there through the mid 60's. Even at 4000' in the sierras it would scoot... Later I was partner in a 21' day cruiser belmont... Great boat but semi-deep "v" hull made 55the limit with 351 in-out
Jack @ [email protected]

21 - 40 of 46 Posts