Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using it for, lets see, 3 years now and I dont sweat like I did when I used a tax preparer. For us, although its a simple return since we're both retired, it has been very nice to just sit down and getter done, straight forward and easy to do. Even know some folks with a more complicated return (rentals, dual incomes, investments etc.) and they use it also with the same results. Just a thought and pretty economical also!:D NSF

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I've been using Turbo Tax for many many years and love it. After a few hours, the info is sent. Fed is done, State is done and a couple of weeks I have a return nicely deposited into my account. I love the program.

·
I don't Member a thing
312 Posts
This will be my 4th year using it (self employed) and has been great. I got my Dad (retired) to use it last year after alot of convincing.....he loves it, but he really likes not writing a $450.00+ check to his old CPA. I have heard that this year there are some updates that won't be available till mid March which could/will prevent filling until after that date. I don't know how true this is as it is only something I had heard, I have not started mine yet so I can not say for sure.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I used to use that and it was easy and only took a few hours. Now my tax guy does them and I spend more time talking about boating with him that I do talking taxes. He literally takes about 10 minutes of my time and entering my info from my paperwork and then sends me my stuff in the mail. The time savings is worth it and I probably still end up ahead even after paying him what I do. The trick is to find someone who knows all the rules and laws and what can be deducted and how much and all that stuff. Just going to H&R block is a waste of money. You will probably get a better return doing it yourself.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to use that and it was easy and only took a few hours. Now my tax guy does them and I spend more time talking about boating with him that I do talking taxes. He literally takes about 10 minutes of my time and entering my info from my paperwork and then sends me my stuff in the mail. The time savings is worth it and I probably still end up ahead even after paying him what I do. The trick is to find someone who knows all the rules and laws and what can be deducted and how much and all that stuff. Just going to H&R block is a waste of money. You will probably get a better return doing it yourself.
I hear you on that, our old tax guy ( went to him for 20 years) used to talk for 35-40 minutes then actually do the figures for 15 and when we stopped going about 4 years ago the bill for a simple return was up to $150!! Thats when I tried Turbo and havent looked back yet. NSF

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
My gf been using it for a few years and hasnt had any issues. I still rely on my accountant to do my taxes.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Still use a CPA. If I get audited, I'd rather have him take care of it for me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks everyone. Since I work for Intuit (makers of TurboTax) this is great to hear.

If anyone has issues with the product let me know and I will see what I can do.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Thanks everyone. Since I work for Intuit (makers of TurboTax) this is great to hear.

If anyone has issues with the product let me know and I will see what I can do.
Oh No... Sorry to be the bad guy... I started using TurboTax in the late 80's and really got pissed a few years back when Intuit played their little game of restricting which computer you could print your tax on etc,,,,, so last year I decided to try TaxCut because of the rising price of TurboTax. This year the Fed + State TurboTax costs $45 vs $40 for TaxCut. Not a big diff but last year TaxCut was so much easier to use as compared to the previous years using TurboTax so I'll be using TaxCut again this year.:):)punch:)hand

·
Faster, Stronger, Bionic
626 Posts
You can go to the IRS website and pick from a list of free tax prep software if you made less than 30-50K last year like my broke ass. I used Tax cut the last two years and Turbo Tax this year. I thought Tax Cut was a little more user friendly, but the turbo tax seemed to ask a lot of extra questions that might have helped if I had a more complicated return or more deductions, but I found annoying. It still only took me maybe 1/2 hour to do the whole thing not including the 45minutes I spent looking all over for the missing 1099 that was laying right in front of me on the desk the whole time. I just e-filed this am and already came back accepted from both the state and feds. With my huge refund plus the additional $600 idiotic economy booster money in June, I may even be able to retire when I'm 93.:D

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
any body use

I have been using Turbo Tax for years. I tried them this year, and found we were getting ALOT less back than last year :mad: I went out and bought Tax Cut, and they are getting us back an extra $400 over the Turbo Tax:D

Paul

·
Apache Lake Monger
917 Posts
We do the Web Based TurboTax, puts all your info out on the web for everyone to see:D

Actually have had zero problems, pretty satisfied for over 6 years.:)

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Been using turbo tax since the 90's Always worked well for me. Came on a single diskette back then.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
like reading this thread. once again i walked away from the cpa feelin i got dup'd for 240 bucks:mad: me and the wife talked about turbo tax for next yrs filings and i think it'd be better. the cpa has the same program basically, why pay him anymore?? i keep all my returns and receipts here at home in a fire proof file cabinet:)bulb

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
like reading this thread. once again i walked away from the cpa feelin i got dup'd for 240 bucks:mad: me and the wife talked about turbo tax for next yrs filings and i think it'd be better. the cpa has the same program basically, why pay him anymore?? i keep all my returns and receipts here at home in a fire proof file cabinet:)bulb
Exactly what I said!! we use the simple form because we are, well, simple:D and we file by E-File, print out complete copies and they notify you if and when its accepted by the taxing agency and even gives me 4 vouchers for estimated state taxes with the recommended estimate. and the best part is both state and fed returns cost me under $50.
You can try it for free by just going to their website, complete the whole deal and your only charged when you hit the submit or file button so you can compare it with your old returns if you want, very pleased here:)hand NSF

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Having a CPA is like buying insurance. With my CPA, when I get audited.....I will do nothing and pay no more to him than my yearly fee.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use TaxCut. Even with rental property, stock sales, K-1 partnerships, etc., it takes me less than an hour to do my taxes.

Cool stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts