Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was down at the river running the boat still working on breaking in the motor in which is a 496 stroker w t-ram and after running for about 20 minutes at diffrent speeds it died but fired right back up but when you hit a certain rpm it would start to act like it was loading up or not loading up???? and would back fire a little or was missing so i just kept it where it would run and headed back to the ramp but then on the way back it just died and would not refire...sounded like it wasnt getting any fuel or fire....anyway thank god there were other people around to tow me in......so I get it back to the shop and the Bitch fired right up....so now Im reallllllly confused?????......​

Last time I had it out it did the same freaking thing but i had a busted diz cap on the vertex magneto so i thought that was the problem.....so my question is WTF could this problem be???........is my vertex magneto messed up??????????????​

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Could be a mag problem. Also coil could cause it. Maybe a fuel problem as well. Might be plugging up or sucking the tank into a vacuum. Need to run it till it quits and see if it has spark and fuel. Luck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Could be a mag problem. Also coil could cause it. Maybe a fuel problem as well. Might be plugging up or sucking the tank into a vacuum. Need to run it till it quits and see if it has spark and fuel. Luck.

Its has the internal coil on the vertex magneto, Ya I was going to check for spark and fuel once I got to the shop but I was suprised it fired right up and I did run around to look at the fuel gages while it was running and both carbs did have fuel pressure....the carbs did have fuel in them when it wouldnt start , well at least in the float level windows ....Im thinking that when the magneto internal coil gets warm its shorting it self out and then once it cools down it will fire ??????? I had thought about a vapor lock??..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
FWIW...my suggestion would be to pull the Mag & put a stock HEI dist in it & go run it & see what happens...if it runs ok, you will know its the Mag! :)...just sayin' my .02 cents :)

FastRat

·
Registered
162 Posts
flat tappet cam?
right where my head was at too. I fought an issue with cams going flat on a BBC in a 71 eliminator I built a several yrs ago. Would fire up and sound great, but as soon as I idled through the no wake zone and hit the throttle, it fell on its face. Would die, sometimes fire right back up, other times I had to let the f'r sit( or float downstream lol). This was a 588/592 lift cam, hydraulic flat tappet with tunnel ram (468 inch bbc). Back then I learned all the issues with breaking in a flat cam with todays modern oils (no bueno), Im sure most on this site know the deal by now, but if you think this sounds like your issue (cam going flat) I learned the hard way and can help if needed. let me know. best of luck....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW...my suggestion would be to pull the Mag & put a stock HEI dist in it & go run it & see what happens...if it runs ok, you will know its the Mag! :)...just sayin' my .02 cents :)

FastRat
The hei that used to be in it wont fit because of the t-ram but i do have a another 2 wire dizzy and plugs,wires and coil that i can throw in...and to refresh my memory its red wire off dizzy to pos+ on coil , black to neg- on coil and then a wire from ignition source to pos+ on coil.....right??

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Mag Repair

Here is the name and number of a guy who repairs mags in your area...never did any work for me but was recommended by another guy on the boards who lives in Oregon...541.990.2485 His name is Spud from Fuel Injection Enterprises Might be worth a call...I have a mag I'm going to send to him eventually.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts

FastRat
I say coil also. Thats what mine sounded like just before it let go. I carry a spare on my boat now. Which is prolly done since its sat sideways for the last 2 years.:mad:

OOps you running a mag. Yup rebuild time or pick up a HEi or though your back in

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
How do you check that?.......I filled both tanks yesterday and when I opened the shop door today the shop smelled like gas..???....chit only 5 days to figure it out and fix it....long weekend approaching quickly
Here's a little checklist for the fuel system so you can either fix something or rule it out-

1. Correct fuel pressure at all rpms. faulty regulator or fuel pump?
2. a plugged fuel filter - change filter
3. a plugged tank vent - open the filler caps and go for a ride
4. float levels set too low - reset
5. bad check valve on the tank
6. crimped fuel line
7. collapsed fuel line - hard to check with SS braided lines
8. Plugged pick ups in the tanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts