Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this beautiful boat from a friend for 800 bucks. It?s complete with a 455 with a spun bearing. Well I just picked up a 427 that?s been sitting 20 years and will be building it. It is surprisingly fairly rust free other than the camshaft and some surface rust on the crank and main caps. Anyway, can someone tell me about my new boat? It?s a syndicate gullwing 18 foot jet boat. I believe year is 1978. Any info on this boat would be appreciated. Is it a good Hull? Are they quick? Good handling? Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't think its any sort of gullwing, and it dosent look like a tunnel. If its a tunnel, it looks like a Rogers Drag star, or Syndicate tunnel. Either way, that is a SCREAMER deal. Especially if it really is a tunnel..
I am no expert though..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey what?s up mouzer!!!! I haven?t been on here in a long time!!! We have talked a bunch about flatties and I end up with a jet..... lol! Oh well! As long as I get on the water I?m good!!! Anyway I?ll get more pics this weekend. Took it to my property in penn valley to store it. Here?s a couple pics of the motor going in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple more of casting stamps and of the really cool old school cast deep rock tunnel ram. Some Holley 4224?s that I?m going to rebuild and powder coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think its any sort of gullwing, and it dosent look like a tunnel. If its a tunnel, it looks like a Rogers Drag star, or Syndicate tunnel. Either way, that is a SCREAMER deal. Especially if it really is a tunnel..
I am no expert though..
hey. I?ll. I?m sure it?s a syndicate because of title, but I really just want to know if these are good boats and are they pretty good on the get up and go! I know I won?t beat the guys out there at cfw but I want to be respectable. Haha!!! ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You'll want to ditch those 4224's. They are designed for WOT throttle operation and aren't much good for anything else. They are notorious for sucking fuel and having terrible idling characteristics. A guy named Paul Blevins wrote an article for Hot Rod mag several years back giving step by step instructions(modify secondary cams, change Venturi angle, modify air bleeds) to make them at least somewhat streetable. But even then, they are not very efficient. I had 4223's(850 cfm) on my blower deal. I was lucky to get 1/2 mpg. I did the mods and was able to stretch it to 3/4 mpg. I switched them out for quickfuels and more than doubled my range to 2 mpg.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Anyone know what cam I have? It?s a CMC D1091
before you dump the center squirters (l6224 ) have them worked by someone that knows how to make them work. I have done alot of work on those carbs and ran a few pairs on various boats and like them. also on the cam, take it to a grinder and get a profile on it! Last that engine needs to be cleaned big time, all that rust needs to go FAR FAR away. Don't do it twice do it right. MLAO M

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know what cam I have? It?s a CMC D1091
before you dump the center squirters (l6224 ) have them worked by someone that knows how to make them work. I have done alot of work on those carbs and ran a few pairs on various boats and like them. also on the cam, take it to a grinder and get a profile on it! Last that engine needs to be cleaned big time, all that rust needs to go FAR FAR away. Don't do it twice do it right. MLAO M
Man I already got two quick fuel rebuild kits and started tearing into them!! I want to do what my dad didn?t finish on this motor. I have some more pics too.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some reason I can’t post pictures on this site anymore. I have a ton more pictures and was gonna sell the boat but I think now I’ll keep it so awaken this thread!!!! Someone please help me with my picture upload problem!!! Hint hint: admin please help me!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks skidder!!!! I appreciate the help!!! I just got called off the board at the union hall!! Back to work = I’m keeping it and just dropped of the block at the machine shop!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts