Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my boat trailer like this and im not sure where to splice them...
any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
Matt

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Brown ---- Tail and markers
White ---- Ground
Yellow---- left turn
Green---- right turn

and since the trailer is not code you'll have to trace them out

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
As Outlaw said, since the existing wires aren't standard, you're going to have to trace each one to figure out where they go. You'd probably save time and effort by ripping all that out and starting over with standard trailer wiring.
You will thank yourself later.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Just run new wires. Mine was all jacked up like that. I counted no less than 5 different cuts and several changes of colors... I ran new, it took me 2 hours but at least i know whats what and it works great.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My trailer is due also. Its not hard to do. Just use good lights if your replacing them. I used three dollar wal-mart lights and they didnt last long. I plan on getting led's for my new trailer.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
pop them out with a flat screw driver..
stick it between the rubber and lens..presto..
wallmart or super k sells them.. and the wiring..

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
New wires, solder and heat shrink. Then you don't have to worry about it again.
You can buy a good standard light wiring kit at Wal Mart, and you can also buy NOW (not just a few years ago) a heat-shrinkable crimp splice somewhat similar to the ones we use in aircraft "Environmental Splices". Forget soldering.
Crimp it, shrink it, good for a looooong time.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Demo, As Smokin said there are crimps that you can buy at NAPA and I am sure other parts stores carry them! It is a crimp with a heat shrink cover slickest thing since white bread! Work great and seal out water check them out! WT:)devil

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I suggest replacing the wire. But, if your not you can trace em down easy.

Take a new wire from ground on a battery and touch it to the trialer. Take one of the others and touch it to pos. Look what comes on. That will tell you what it what. I am sure the white on the trialer is ground, so do that last. If all the others are figured out, dont do the white one. .

I have done this before and was a lot easier than tracing the wires by hand.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I suggest replacing the wire. But, if your not you can trace em down easy.

Take a new wire from ground on a battery and touch it to the trialer. Take one of the others and touch it to pos. Look what comes on. That will tell you what it what. I am sure the white on the trialer is ground, so do that last. If all the others are figured out, dont do the white one. .

I have done this before and was a lot easier than tracing the wires by hand.

Too hard. I say just rewire. Judging by the trailer around the lights the wiring may have a little corrosion.

Cy

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Too hard. I say just rewire. Judging by the trailer around the lights the wiring may have a little corrosion.

Cy
I agree, but in the first post he wanted to splice em, so I was helping him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts