Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told recently to start arrow shaping (slant cuttin, whatever) the biting edge of the loading ramps so that it bites from keel down to 1/8 above at the back. i've always just found where i wanted it to be, cut it back, sharpen the edge a tad and called it good. any advantage to the arrow shape'n? thinkin bout tryin it on a loader i just got in.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Think about the thickness of the loader an 1/8th - 3/16th's or so....now lay that down as it is on the loader. Take a look at the side view, imagine the water flow as it would go by. There would be about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch of material, on the bottom, that would deprive the shoe of water. Taper the back side, or bottom of the ramps, this gives you an undisturbed clean cut ramp, on the front side. This also helps smooth the water coming up behind the loader, that the shoe will catch.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think about the thickness of the loader an 1/8th - 3/16th's or so....now lay that down as it is on the loader. Take a look at the side view, imagine the water flow as it would go by. There would be about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch of material, on the bottom, that would deprive the shoe of water. Taper the back side, or bottom of the ramps, this gives you an undisturbed clean cut ramp, on the front side. This also helps smooth the water coming up behind the loader, that the shoe will catch.
been tapering the backsides for the past 5yrs with good luck myself, but recently 2 different knowledgeable jet guys have been telling me to arrow shape them so that the outter edges of the ramp aren't actually diggin more than the inside would. it makes sense as the outter parts of the ramps do see more actual water flow than the inside ever would.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I have three that are tapered, one is straight. Now that my hull is straight, I might see some benifit from my loader collection :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thats the only way I do it. Think about it, otherwise the outer part of your loader will hang down farther than the center, because your Keel is round not flat. Lay under your boat with a straight edge and you will see what I mean.
Good Luck Jay:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the only way I do it. Think about it, otherwise the outer part of your loader will hang down farther than the center, because your Keel is round not flat. Lay under your boat with a straight edge and you will see what I mean.
Good Luck Jay:)bulb
i've spent an hr today lookin under it, thinkin on it. it sure makes sense , you could run the frt alil deeper , while the outsides wouldn't cause ill shutdowns from diggin. i'm on my 3rd loader design for the season, and don't wanna take too much of this 1, its a nice piece.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i've spent an hr today lookin under it, thinkin on it. it sure makes sense , you could run the frt alil deeper , while the outsides wouldn't cause ill shutdowns from diggin. i'm on my 3rd loader design for the season, and don't wanna take too much of this 1, its a nice piece.
I started doing it over 20 years ago on my TX-19 and never looked back.
just cut a little at a time and you will be ok. I found Level or just a hair above the keel is the sweet spot.

P.S. Who built your boat Youngblood or Dominick:)hand or Jimmy Johnson

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
...or run it stock and see if it's in the hunt, and go further from that point???? not a fan of over working myself!:D

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
My gullwing pulled the nose down because the loader was hanging 2.5 inches. I cut it and now everything is perfect;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started doing it over 20 years ago on my TX-19 and never looked back.
just cut a little at a time and you will be ok. I found Level or just a hair above the keel is the sweet spot.

P.S. Who built your boat Youngblood or Dominick:)hand or Jimmy Johnson
someone i finally met recently and talk to alot now, ervin capps. my boat's a okla built condor:)devil ervin even worked/lived in my town(hugo) for almost a yr while dominator jet was here in hugo. it'll be goin back to ervin this winter for a bottom he's wanting to do to it, plus the gel needs touching up, maybe clear gel the hull boat to make it really shine again, if there is such a thing.
he was waiting on me at the boat ramp at dusk and said he was proud to see 1 of his old condors tearing ass, and then he went to telling me everything about my hull, how the customer brought the gel scheme in on a mcdonalds napkin, and that he still had the napkin framed on his wall:D would bring me a copy on labor day if he could make it. if you look on the yb site much, look at the red/white condor tx-19 at the top of the page in the condor boat section. that's my boat when it was brand new, wish it still looked as good:)st hass828 has known my boat since it was new, he ran with the original owner back in the day.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My gullwing pulled the nose down because the loader was hanging 2.5 inches. I cut it and now everything is perfect;)
where'd you end up compared to keel mike?

·
Registered
243 Posts
someone i finally met recently and talk to alot now, ervin capps. my boat's a okla built condor:)devil ervin even worked/lived in my town(hugo) for almost a yr while dominator jet was here in hugo. it'll be goin back to ervin this winter for a bottom he's wanting to do to it, plus the gel needs touching up, maybe clear gel the hull boat to make it really shine again, if there is such a thing.
he was waiting on me at the boat ramp at dusk and said he was proud to see 1 of his old condors tearing ass, and then he went to telling me everything about my hull, how the customer brought the gel scheme in on a mcdonalds napkin, and that he still had the napkin framed on his wall:D would bring me a copy on labor day if he could make it. if you look on the yb site much, look at the red/white condor tx-19 at the top of the page in the condor boat section. that's my boat when it was brand new, wish it still looked as good:)st hass828 has known my boat since it was new, he ran with the original owner back in the day.
Good hull I own the Molds your boat came out of. They are for sale in Boat Spam.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good hull I own the Molds your boat came out of. They are for sale in Boat Spam.
how much for a fresh hull, no holes in it, solid white?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wish i knew how to lay up a boat, i'd like to have that 19 and 20 mold, have them both modified with race entry bottoms:)devil

·
2,925 Posts

·
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Do you think this would work better on a simi-v hull than stright cut? WT:)devil

1 - 20 of 37 Posts