Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm so far over my budget for the new set-up in the tx, i'm gonna just paint my ole dry shorties up till aug when i can afford new headers. anybody know of a good hi-temp paint that will stay and not cook off the 1st time i hit the nitrous? tried black stove paint when i ran the blown 475 and it lasted all of 1hr:mad: should last longer on the na stroker but i'm thinking the nitrous will blister em like the boost temps did. the blown 475 wasn't lean at all, had nice a/f ratios!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
i'm so far over my budget for the new set-up in the tx, i'm gonna just paint my ole dry shorties up till aug when i can afford new headers. anybody know of a good hi-temp paint that will stay and not cook off the 1st time i hit the nitrous? tried black stove paint when i ran the blown 475 and it lasted all of 1hr:mad: should last longer on the na stroker but i'm thinking the nitrous will blister em like the boost temps did. the blown 475 wasn't lean at all, had nice a/f ratios!

Send them to Tiki, on the boards. I think its like $250 to have them coated. I have his number if you need it.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Send them to Tiki, on the boards. I think its like $250 to have them coated. I have his number if you need it.
appreciate the offer bro, but they're not worth the effort ;) i want some edelbrock upswept stainless headers(@450) but it's gonna be a few mths before i can swing it. we're payin for a new roof and doin landscap'n soon, gotta take care of the homefront 1st, then toys.

·
ICETOM
62 Posts
I"ve had some good luck with BBQ black Krylon on Harley Pipes.I'm sure the boat pipes get alot hotter but it hasn't burned off yet.The key is to rough em up alot first.

·
655 Posts
POR 15. They have black or aluminum colors in hi temp. I used it on my old Bassetts & it held up real well.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POR 15. They have black or aluminum colors in hi temp. I used it on my old Bassetts & it held up real well.
por makes some awesome stuff :)devil do you know any place to get it?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked out their site(por) . they claim the 1200 degree black paint won't burn off, but don't mention that in this descript for the alum 1400 degree paint??? wonder if it burns off?

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=P2&dept=8

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
i've used several cans of "dupli-color high heat with ceramic" over the years on mine. it didn't burn off, but after awhile just starts looking crappy, so i would take 'em off and spray some more on. paid 100 bucks for those headers as they're over 30 years old, but after running them 3 years, decided they were keepers and they're getting jet hotted right now.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Trick I learned with any high temp paint is not to put too much on. Just enough to cover.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
If you can find a large oven to put them in it will help.

Sleeper CP:D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i've used several cans of "dupli-color high heat with ceramic" over the years on mine. it didn't burn off, but after awhile just starts looking crappy, so i would take 'em off and spray some more on. paid 100 bucks for those headers as they're over 30 years old, but after running them 3 years, decided they were keepers and they're getting jet hotted right now.
Who is doing yours?
what cost
I need a set done for the stang

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Eastwood has some different coatings that handle heat real well! I used the Stainless steel gray and it holds up! They also offer black,silver and factory gray. And even have Techline ceramic exhaust coating kits too! Good products!:)bulb

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I haven't tried that product. I have used the cast coat on some shorties for a small block and that was 13 years ago and it is still on! Also used it on Pontaic manifolds and it didn't burn off. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts