Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what is titled as a 68 Stevens.... could be older. I was told it was a race boat (aren't they all) that was retired and the guy I bought if from had it and never finished putting it back together for 30+ yrs. Now that I have a shop, I finally started working on the rebuild and am curious if the boat was a race boat. I'm not done removing the ugly green they put on it, but it appears to have been blue trim and white? The owner might have been from the Davenport/Bettendorf, IA or Moline/Rock Island, IL area. I feel pretty confident that the boat was a circle boat as I doubt anyone would eliminate the back seats and run off the balancer if it wasn't to race. The motor plates and parts are set up to run that way and only fit in the boat one way. Between that and the fact that the engine was moved forward as was the old top loader tells me it was intentionally re-rigged way back when for a specific purpose. Also if you remember how the boats were rigged back then, I'd like to know if this one was rigged for SS or SK or if it even mattered back then.

·
My Peace
670 Posts
I'm definitely not old enough to help you, but you've given us precious little to go by. I think you would have better luck if you posted up some pictures of the boat as it stands (even with the bad paint) and maybe the name of the guy you bought it from. I think even Harlan would have a hard time identifying a boat based on just the make and the area it was from 30+ years ago, but then again some of the guys here are that good...

·
Registered
20,026 Posts
post a pic..i can tell if its pre 66 67

my 65 and my 68 was a big diff in the freeboard

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How she looked the day I bought her. Did I mention the ugly green it was painted now?

Veiw from the rear:

The guy I bought it from didn't race nor Know the name of the guy he bought it from 30 yrs ago. He bought it when he was 20 somthing as his dad worked at a boat shop near Davenport. His dad knew the guy that raced it, but his dad has since passed so that leaves me with how many Stevens could have been running circles in the midwest? I really didn't believe the guy when I bought it until last night when I put all the mounts and v-drive in the holes where they went and it only fit one way. Driving off the balancer with the back of the block 28" from the transom, the rear face of the top loader 79" from the transom, and the rear of the 9* strut 11" from the transom.

Edit: When it raced it had the cockpit divider that separated the driver/passenger from the rear. The tank fills were on that divider and the new holes in the side he added for the two new IMCO tanks that came with it.

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Guru's new K Ride
I have a feeling if I were to put one of those K boat motors in her, she'd definitely fly. The problem is she wouldn't steer, wouldn't stay in the water, nor would the driver survive most likely. I think I'll stick to late 60s race trim and power and even that will be dangerous enough. I remember watching the flats as a kid when they came to race with us and my dad telling me that SK stood for SicK and SS meant Super Squirley. When I turned 19 I bought one and had it most of the summer before I blew it over and destroyed it on Mullet Lake in Michigan. Hopefully this one will fare better.

Come to think of it, if you'll loan me one of your engines, Tony wants to shoe it, and with 20" cav plates so it can make length, lets go K boat racing. :D

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Come over and you can see what a Mandella looks like.
HARLAN ORRIN
I'm old school and agree not a Stevens too much freeboard and too short, could have had a paper change somewhere along the line, probably best to clean it up and make a lake boat out of it, any case done right could be a nice nostalgia piece. Mandella!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'm old school and agree not a Stevens too much freeboard and too short, could have had a paper change somewhere along the line, probably best to clean it up and make a lake boat out of it, any case done right could be a nice nostalgia piece. Mandella!!!!!!!!!!!
Come over and you can see what a Mandella looks like.
HARLAN ORRIN
Harlan, sometimes they just don't get it:)sphss A beat up Mandella is better looking than thing was when it was new.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just brought a 1962 guasti today...looks identical to that one...

has california numbers and titles...im in virginia...

was signed over in 94 and never titled...

mine has a sbc with 2 speed powerglide tranny and a hallcraft v drive...is this period correct or has someone adapted the transmission into it...

i have a sleekcraft jet also and i always have seen them with a driveshaft off the crank...never with a transmission...mine has reverse also..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats the same year of ours.We had sbc with velvet drive and Hallcraft v drive.We pretty much fab everything ourselves.I have been looking for our old boat.Got ant pictures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
ill have some pics of it tomorrow...i just brought it home today...ill take a ton of pics and start a pic/restore thread of this jewel...

i wish i could find out more info...how many of these were made??any ideas

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The freeboard and over length of 17' 2" match the measurements of the Stevens 17 SK- skier. Even has the center divider (not in the boat in the pictures)

It could be a Guasti.Has the same coping on the rear deck.Ray Casseli ran TFF with one back in the day.A real site to see!
The rear coping is bother-sum, as is the straight bottom to the dash. The 62 Guasti posted in the other thread is similar in the back but has a different front line. Spike Morelli is also helping me determine if it is indeed a Stevens. I think he is pretty close to a Stevens expert if there is one other than Mr. Stevens who seems to be not involved in boats anymore. In any case the boat was definitely set up to run circles so how many boats from the eastern Iowa area could there have been back then?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Yesterday I looked at my cousin's stevens that looked just like that boat. This one had a 427 ford with a velvet drive

I think he said it was a 63

1 - 20 of 21 Posts