Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kitchen Aid supurba 42 built in refrigerator. It's a 1999 model that came with my house. Alder wood paneling. It runs all the time since I bought the house so I vacuumed all the dust off of the coil unit that sits up above the fridge. That made it run better but It was nasty...

The cover for the coil unit is an alder wood panel that is not vented very well. When I take it off it sure seems to run more efficiently. Other wise when it's installed it doesn't get as cold. I have ice but ice cream ends up real soft and not frozen. So it's not getting cold enough.

Do these things need a refrigerant recharge? Or is it time for a new fridge?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a Kitchen Aid supurba 42 built in refrigerator. It's a 1999 model that came with my house. Alder wood paneling. It runs all the time since I bought the house so I vacuumed all the dust off of the coil unit that sits up above the fridge. That made it run better but It was nasty...

The cover for the coil unit is an alder wood panel that is not vented very well. When I take it off it sure seems to run more efficiently. Other wise when it's installed it doesn't get as cold. I have ice but ice cream ends up real soft and not frozen. So it's not getting cold enough.

Do these things need a refrigerant recharge? Or is it time for a new fridge?

Thanks for your help!
Good luck with anything dealing with the refrigeration cycle on there...

A couple things to check, does the air go in on the right and out on the left?

Or does it go in the front and out the rear somewhere?...I have seen some pretty bad installs on these.

Throw a thermometer down by the condenser area and see where the temp. settles out, it is probably short cycling the air, it may need to have a small fan added to get enough air accross the coil. I have uses the small computer cabinet style fans in the past and they really seem to improve performance...

Also, check to make sure it's not iceing up and that the freezer fan runs costantly, if it ever stops it should be in defrost....

GT :)hand

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Close the door... :)sphss

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck with anything dealing with the refrigeration cycle on there...

A couple things to check, does the air go in on the right and out on the left?

Or does it go in the front and out the rear somewhere?...I have seen some pretty bad installs on these.

Throw a thermometer down by the condenser area and see where the temp. settles out, it is probably short cycling the air, it may need to have a small fan added to get enough air accross the coil. I have uses the small computer cabinet style fans in the past and they really seem to improve performance...

Also, check to make sure it's not iceing up and that the freezer fan runs costantly, if it ever stops it should be in defrost....

GT :)hand

Yes in on right and out on the left. When I take off the wood panel the warm air exits the unit better and seems to run more efficiently.

So they don't get recharged?

The only problem is with the freezer side. The fridge side works fine.

It's been in this house for a while but looks brand new. I can't imagine it's always been this way.

I was pissed when I discovered it ruined my drumsticks!:|err

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts