Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5149 1/2
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told I have Squamous Cell Carcinoma and need to have it removed asap. Anybody have this procedure done? What should I expect? It's about the size of a dime on the side of my calf.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thats very minor, but don't fool around, get it done. And from now on, keep your eyes open for any changes in skin color or spots. In my case, slightly more serious, it ended my boating and now I put on SPF 50, wear T-shirts with sleeves and stay in the closet during the day. It may get to the point where you're getting a check up every 6 months and a chest x-ray every year...

·
Registered
19,885 Posts
my father every time i seeem he has lil stitches on his face and back and shoulders they keep removeing skin cancer from him always the size of a dime. dr said its from all them summers of parker and sailing r boat over to catalina. they checkem every 6 months

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Get it removed, don't fool around with this. Watch for any changes around that area. All the years of hearing our mom's and wife's telling us to put on sunscreen and ignoring them, can have a dramatic effect on our lives. Should be a "wake up call". Your post just reminded me to be more careful!! Thanks and be healthy.:)hand

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was just told I have Squamous Cell Carcinoma and need to have it removed asap. Anybody have this procedure done? What should I expect? It's about the size of a dime on the side of my calf.
Its not even as bad as geting a cavity filled. First a numbing shot, some bedadine, some tugging (the cutting) and then some stitches. take some tylenol for a day or two. Keep it clean, and dont do anything that will pull out the stitches.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Would you mind posting of pic of the area? It might help some people that are wondering about spots that they have.

Thank you and good luck!

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I have had so much stuff removed, and have so much more that I look like a calico cat. :D

Still rarely use sunscreen and get burned almost every day. I figure cancer will eventually end my back pain.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
removal, uhhhh, errrr...

so is not knowing that i had it the same as having it removed? almost like i never had it to begin with...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
And what color would you look for??? I've heard odd shapes are a clue too??
Realize it's not the only possible type or that all melanoma looks the same, but it might look similar enough to what somebody else has, that they go get it checked out. Perhaps something good can come from something that is mostly bad..

·
Banned
742 Posts
It's no joke! At least every 6 months! Usually that size requires the doctor to do a 'local' and then scoop it out with a rounded scalpel. It's all good on the first day, but the third day is when you realize "you don't want to EVER have that done to you again". Then 6 months later it happens all over again, somewhere else. Do it, don't wait!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep, every six months for the past 15 years or so. It's really not that bad. I get about six cut out each time and probably 15 or so hit with the nitrogen. About once a year I do the whole Efudex treatment, that's a real joy in itself. Just made my appointment today for my next treatment.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Very Scary When

the nurse asks what do you do for a living.The Doctors words are still fresh after some years = you had better be getting a change or I`ll be cutting out hamburger sized chunks out of you,and that is the GOOD prognosis as it can get very grim:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts