Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to try a loaner impeller to see if the cut is right for my boat. The handhole is mid transom and I do not want to have to reseal the plates. The flywheel cover on the engine blocks the loader bolts from easy access. Anybody have a good method for checking wear ring / impeller skirt clearance using clay? I'm not looking for anything super tight .025-.035 will do fine. Thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I need to try a loaner impeller to see if the cut is right for my boat. The handhole is mid transom and I do not want to have to reseal the plates. The flywheel cover on the engine blocks the loader bolts from easy access. Anybody have a good method for checking wear ring / impeller skirt clearance using clay? I'm not looking for anything super tight .025-.035 will do fine. Thanks
Joshua , you could try a small ball of clay at the backside of the WR lip , spray some Pam or WD , temporarily install the impeller no woodruff key (with nut) and then remove to measure the "crush" on the sample dont see why this wouldnt be effective , you could also pull your intake grate out and reach thru to check that direction Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
would be hard to get an accurate measurement with the clay, I use a piece of solder to get my final clearance

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas. Easier to measure than clay. Should I put it in 2 or 3 positions? Or will one do?

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
If you have the proper wear ring for the impeller, the wear ring step should bottom out on the front of the impeller wear ring skirt at the same time it bottoms out on the rear step of the skirt. Using the pic above from DJG you can insert a wire spark plug feeler gauge in between the case and the impeller to reach the clearance on the rear corner of the impeller skirt. I use the kind of plug feeler gauge that has a 90 degree bend on the end.. This measurement should be the same as the front axial clearance between the shoulder of the ring and the front of the impeller skirt. I use this method often, but you have to have a 1.063 ring on a 1.063 impeller skirt or things will not match up right... Clear as Mud? Looks like DJG's method works good as well.. Jim :)bulb

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Measuring

You should measure with the bowl on, it centers the shaft and impeller to the wear ring. The shaft will sag down, giving a tighter tolerance at the bottom, and not be an accurate reading.
Measure from the bottom up, threw the intake opening. It is a pain, but if you can't get threw the hand hole.
Be safe, schick

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
would be hard to get an accurate measurement with the clay, I use a piece of solder to get my final clearance
That what I used to set-up my rear axle bearing on my Corvette > works great!

ALSO > remove the loader grate and go in from the underside > it'll be blind and all by feel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts