Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pros vs cons...

what changes (if any) did you make to your motor to accomidate the extra power?

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
pros vs cons...

what changes (if any) did you make to your motor to accomidate the extra power?
Placecraft20 just did a sweet 7 month Whipple project on his 496HO - its in the cats and tunnels section.

I've thought seriously about this...maybe we can get a bulk discount if enough people want to buy them :)

Roln 20s

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I do. Only changes I made was to add CMI Headers and a Sea Strainer and external pickup for the chiller.

I love the additional power.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't you need to upgrade the internals to really make it safe and have longevity? I would think so......Might just be easier to buy the power you can afford and leave the 496 hoe in the garage for resale.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts

·
6,873 Posts
Don't you need to upgrade the internals to really make it safe and have longevity? I would think so......Might just be easier to buy the power you can afford and leave the 496 hoe in the garage for resale.

What kinda crazy thinking is that....:D

I will say this again, BUY IT UP FRONT, Go BIG OR GO HOME

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have one and will run one of those 525s for the money anytime :D. I upgraded internals, added a little boost and made 655hp @5500 and 748ft @4800. If I would have bought the aluminum heads I could have made 700hp, and will do that this winter. She runs 99 now and I am out of prop with a labbed 32 bravo. I could not insure the 525, nor did I want to spend the 30 grand for the upgrade.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have one and will run one of those 525s for the money anytime :D. I upgraded internals, added a little boost and made 655hp @5500 and 748ft @4800. If I would have bought the aluminum heads I could have made 700hp, and will do that this winter. She runs 99 now and I am out of prop with a labbed 32 bravo. I could not insure the 525, nor did I want to spend the 30 grand for the upgrade.

Congrats, looks nice..

Did you happen to notify your insurer when you made the modifications? If not, you probably don't have any insurance..

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The boat came with a XR drive and a sportmaster lower. The full hydraulic steering was also on the boat. As for the insurance, I am 43 and have never made a insurance claim on anything but, the 525 and a 22ft boat made it hard to find anyone to talk to you. I had already owned a 22 Daytona and that did not help. The 496ho was no problem, and my agent has the pics of the new motor to make sure it is covered.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
I did read a while back that the pistons are the weak link in these motors. The top ring groove is to close to the top of the piston. And I have a friend that put the full Raylar kit on a 496 with about 60hrs on it. He got about 3 hours before some little pieces broke off the the top of the piston. The shop that pulled the motor out of the boat put a scope in the spark plug hole and thry could see the top compression ring in the places were the piston broke.

The motor is on the floor of his garage right now waiting to be shipped down to Raylar.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
90 Posts
Whipples & 496 HO's

Cameron, prior to my 36, I had a 2007 28 Daytona w/twin 496 ho's. It ran around 100mph. I looked at adding whipples to these motors. I found guys here in the east that would do the work...but I also spoke to 2 of our more reputable rebuild guys here, and both advised me not to do the upgrade. I was told that the current setup of the 496 ho is finely tuned and engine longevity would be severely compromised adding a whipple to these motors.

Both guys had the same opinion....and I spoke to them separately. The 496's are extremely reliable power plants, but should not be whippled. I believe they told me that the 502's were much more compatible w/the whipples than the 496's (but my aged memory may be getting the best of me there).

If you do go this route don't forget about the drive either. Min you'll want is an XR and even with that I'd avoid the 5 blade props - not enough slip and too much stress on the drive with the additional hp.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I looked into it too.

The 496 has cheap cast internals. pistons, rings, crank and junk rods, cheap valves are cheap, block is not siamesed. NOT conducive to forced induction which requires forged internals..

The 496 is a total different deal than the 502 which has forged everything. (GM cheaped out on the 496 IMHO) :p

You have to do what placecraft did (swap out internals) or do the Raylar or leave it alone.

I gave up on mine :)sphss

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
did you change push rods, rockers, lifters? what about drive?
No change on the internals. Two years and still turnkey. I already have a XR drive so that was not a issue.

As for why a HO, because I have a deckboat and the insurance would have quadrupled with the 525. Also after 70 MPH in a deck, nobody is having fun except the driver. :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
I could not insure the 525, nor did I want to spend the 30 grand for the upgrade.
If you don't inform your insurance company of the upgrade, you just might find yourself in a bad situation should you ever make a claim.

I had a major accident years ago, the very first thing the adjuster took a look at was the motors/HP that was stated on the policy was in fact what was in the boat. He said they would deny the claim if it wasn't.

Had a buddy that insured his cat with a stock 496, flipped it, and when the adjuster saw something else under the motor hatch, they denied the claim and even sent him his premium back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts