Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at their kit for the 496HO; $5300 and claims to make as much power as the whipple kit. Plus it looks a lot easier to install....what are the downsides to this?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Dude you get what you pay for!!!!! Frist the they trick the pcm to run the way it does, and the map sensor is a stock 2 bar, 3 is better. Different presser fuel injectors. Dont get me wrong, the prochargers can work very well. After looking into it I went with the Whipple. Good Luck man!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
1 bar=14.7 psi..... Normal everyday atmospheric pressure is 1 bar or 14.7 so even just a 2 bar map will let you run up to 14 psi safley. I assume you are planing on going with just a 3.5 or 5 psi tune? Wich kit are you looking to buy? I personally have rode with "I DIG IT" in his whipple charged boat and it runs great.(as long as the injector wires dont break.....;) )

If you decide to order a Procharger kit pm me, I can probly pull off a much better deal on pricing. Anything boosted rocks in my book!!! :)devil:)devil

Take care,

Travis

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe their 496HO kit is to run 5psi. I really like the whipple kit and talked to I DIG IT about his, but it's a lot of money, so the procharger might be more feasible (and easier to talk my wife into). Plus I'm going to have to upgrade the drive, so any money I save will be more I can put towards that. I'm not going to be doing anything until next year at the earliest, but I will hit you up when I do.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
overdude, what kit? a pully change and a twe:)devilak on the computer will get you a 5 psi tune up......

Travis

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bigger motor = $40k+. If you take care of your 496 it will last a long time with the blower. I've heard many success stories from people who drive them right.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Taking care of it ? Who hots up a motor to take care of it ,You are right if go easy it will last a long time .But once you start thrashing it :|err Is when the tears will soon follow.Its not about cost it is about value.:) I am a big Whipple fan ,just not on a standard 496

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
olmo40,I dont know much about the 496ho, why are they such a bad engine to boost? Cranks suck?

Travis

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just dont think they have the internals to be reved hard,Once you start modifying standard motors you put pressure on the rest of the engine and drastically reduce its life,Your once reliable social boat,will now need a refresh depending on how hard you drive it ,Who honestly takes their social boat with a stock motor in to a shop and say just whip the heads off and have a look or throw some new bearings and pistons in ,most of us only go to the shop when we have a problem.Its not like mercury built the motor understressed and said we will design it and leave some margin for someone to modify it .I am an inboard rookie who has just had 4 years of pain end with my BBC SOLD yahoo.When thing settle down a bit im off to TPI for a motor.:)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bigger motor = $40k+. If you take care of your 496 it will last a long time with the blower. I've heard many success stories from people who drive them right.

I don't agree. The 496HO even being easy is not going to like 5 psi in Havi heat. The pistons are a joke in that motor.

And trust me a nice motor can be built for way less than 40K. I have a Dart headed, bowtie block 572, with a 10:71 littlefield that can easily make 800hp on pump gas and it cost me NOTHING close to 40K. Price out all the parts, buy them, then take them to a machine shop for assembly. Do the install and rigging in your boat yourself. This motor can be built for under 20K.........

Attachments

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are all really good points, but I have to deal with what I have to work with. Building a motor like mentioned would be cool, but I don't have the facility nor the experience to install and rig a motor myself. I'm not an automotive dummy, but I would hesitate to tackle a project like the myself, and again I have no where to do it (I do have the tools though! :)devil). As far as the 496HO goes, I am aware that it doesn't have the best internals in the world but I do trust the opinions of friends that do this stuff for a living that feel confident you can run that motor for a long time as long as you are gentle with it (I am). I am not looking to build a race boat, I just want a little more out of my social boat and this looks to be a fairly economical way to do it. Trust me, I would LOVE to buy a TPI motor, but there is no way my wife would agree to dropping that kind of cash and neither one of us is willing to take on debt just to go faster in an already great boat. Oh, and I don't run in the havasu heat (note my location)

·
Registered
388 Posts
These are all really good points, but I have to deal with what I have to work with. Building a motor like mentioned would be cool, but I don't have the facility nor the experience to install and rig a motor myself. I'm not an automotive dummy, but I would hesitate to tackle a project like the myself, and again I have no where to do it (I do have the tools though! :)devil). As far as the 496HO goes, I am aware that it doesn't have the best internals in the world but I do trust the opinions of friends that do this stuff for a living that feel confident you can run that motor for a long time as long as you are gentle with it (I am). I am not looking to build a race boat, I just want a little more out of my social boat and this looks to be a fairly economical way to do it. Trust me, I would LOVE to buy a TPI motor, but there is no way my wife would agree to dropping that kind of cash and neither one of us is willing to take on debt just to go faster in an already great boat. Oh, and I don't run in the havasu heat (note my location)
No havi heat is really going to help IMO. I understand on the rigging part, even though its not that hard and can be done in a weekend.

If I was you I would do the procharger and a forged short block. Leave everything else (heads, cam, etc.) Just do nice pistons/rings and the blower. I bet it would live a long time and you would not be worried.

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No havi heat is really going to help IMO. I understand on the rigging part, even though its not that hard and can be done in a weekend.

If I was you I would do the procharger and a forged short block. Leave everything else (heads, cam, etc.) Just do nice pistons/rings and the blower. I bet it would live a long time and you would not be worried.
How much do you think that would cost? (not counting the blower)

·
Registered
388 Posts
How much do you think that would cost? (not counting the blower)

Depends on who does the work and what brand of pistons you use. You need to figure on an engine removal/install and a tear down of your 496 plus parts. 4K probably if you pay to have everything done.

A few tips. Do the tear down at the end of the season. Then try to have it running one month before season starts. Last try and have all the bugs and tunning worked out before the wife and kiddos are ready to hit the lake.

If you go this route you could safely run 6-8lbs reliably and it will pick up a ton of power.

What is your current GPS speed and prop pitch?

·
STARTING OVER
315 Posts
there is a 496ho procharger 3.5psi at lakeland marine in havasu, came out of a 26 lavey.with a 28p did 75,prob sell cheep

1 - 20 of 28 Posts