Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need information on laveycraft v drive boats I have one with the removable rear panel looks like all the motorrails and v drive were installed at the factory and the motor was installed facing forward just looking for info to help with the restoration of the boat

·
Registered
435 Posts
circle boat

I have seen theis boats go very fast. thay can be a little twichie but guys that can drive them well hall. how about some pics might be able to help with history of your boat.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Mouzrr

M0vin up fast in my fan club are ya Mike?! boy Howdy!! THAT IS; My favorite picture: the only time I was ahead of SS70 for 3 laps. Could have been the NINE gear and rebuilt 427 replacing our tired 396. That red SK87-SS26 were one of the first Laveys and a heavy one at 800 LBs.

Here is another fast cut down version SS76 now rebuilt as K99. At Burley that orange boat set the 2nd fastest SS lap but was disqualified for an open plenum manifold. Heck, at its sheer old age and weight that manifold legal for capsule SS boats should have been ignored, in my opinion!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
And

Who could forget this one: Bud Murphys Go For Broke with sbc????

George recreated it and that one is also now gone, maybe the Rude boat might run these numbers once again, IF it runs well.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
And

In my opinion, Laveys were phased out of competition not because others were faster but due to the fact; other boats were easier to drive and the final blow came when Al Lavey quit building them and the mold was crushed. Maybe you think??? Al now plays lots of Golf I hear.

·
Upstanding Member
12,708 Posts
In my opinion, Laveys were phased out of competition not because others were faster but due to the fact; other boats were easier to drive and the final blow came when Al Lavey quit building them and the mold was crushed. Maybe you think??? Al now plays lots of Golf I hear.
The Biesemeyer was just better Boyd. That is why we have 10 copy cats of Biesemeyers and ZERO copy cats of Laveys. :lucky:

·
Registered
404 Posts
LAVEY vs BIESEMEYER????

Maybe we'll get to see this spring. Some buddies are trying to restore the NUTMEGGER (I believe Hank Wendt to Ronnie Cuellar). It was just under 500 lbs (probably the lightest Lavey) and could cook. The B boats were much lighter than the Laveys. Still, the Lavey could haul away from the B boat on the straight. The narrow transom made it trickier to set-up but when it was right and had a driver who knew the boat, watch out. ( the SS-26 of Grich and Ronnie didn't do too bad.)

Anyhow, we'll see how right the boat is, then maybe we can see which is better???

Dust

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Lavey's were fast only to the corner

In the first picture is DB 174 owned by Jim Rockwell. That was the boat that infected me with this disease. The boat in the backround is a Beiser. Sorry to jack this thread but that is the boat were it all started.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good times in Washington

Wow! That pic brings back memories....that's my Dad leaning against Sweet Caroline and the nose of the ugly Cabana which used to pull K-10 Dego Red.

·
Registered
435 Posts
1981 I think tim and gorge lost a motor that weekend. that boat still holds the record at green lake in pro comp. the lives in Idaho.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts