Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just picked up a flatbottom.....The previous owner said it was a 1967 holden. I cant seem to find out much on these boats.Does any one know the story??? this is the first flatbottom ive had,what do you guys think the stringers are solid and no signs of delam, he said it will do 103,im going to use motor to power my 24xs spectra and put a stock 460 jet pack motor i have if i keep it as i have never owned one before and probably dont have any business going that fast at this time.... all opions or information is greatly apreated!!!:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp We all happy happy happy

Attachments

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
jerry u ever heard of a holden..i havent
dont think it would do 103

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input.I'm realy not looking to run anywhere near 100 mph honestly....But what determines a 100 mph hull,were boats of the 60s in general not designed for this speed or is it somyhing about this hull in particular????I honestly like the boat more and more but was hoping to determine the history of what boat hull it is more than how fast...... Im actually more interesred in nostalgia than speed and in the future may want to find an era specific engine package for the old skool feel as apossed to the max H.P. :)eh:)

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
what determines a 100 mph hull,
That's a good question. I would say things like keel shape, rocker, air traps (drop chines, runners and strakes) combined with balance, rigging, power, set up (plate settings etc) and prop choice all play a part. Some boats rigged for skiing with the deeper shaft angles and less or no rocker may be capable of achieving 100 plus but not necessarily in a safe manner.

were boats of the 60s in general not designed for this speed or is it somyhing about this hull in particular????
In general, 60's flatbottom technology WAS good enough for 100 plus performance. Most of the boats running the big numbers were "fine tuned" with shallower shaft angles than the average 3 blade propped ski boats . In the 70's the boats were generally lighter. Many boats of the 70's had some kind of air release in the hull (runners or gull shape) and "most" had a shaft angle of 9 degrees or less. A typical 60's ski flat will porpoise wildly after about 65 making them slower, more dangerous and obviously more inefficient than they could be.

For skiing, cruising and overall nostalogia "cool factor" 60's flattys can't be beat. :))THumbsUp

I honestly like the boat more and more but was hoping to determine the history of what boat hull it is more than how fast...... Im actually more interesred in nostalgia than speed and in the future may want to find an era specific engine package for the old skool feel as apossed to the max H.P. :)eh:)
You have a perfect candidate for meeting your goal. The only Holden name I've heard of is the Holden car company of GM that builds cars down under.:)

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Fast forward to 35 seconds.

My dad who like many of the older guys in here (RCL, Harlan and Graeff:)) went to all the old boat drags in our area and said the first boat he ever saw that didn't porpoise (at all) was Panic Mouse around 66 or so.

This footage was shot by my dad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's a good question. I would say things like keel shape, rocker, air traps (drop chines, runners and strakes) combined with balance, rigging, power, set up (plate settings etc) and prop choice all play a part. Some boats rigged for skiing with the deeper shaft angles and less or no rocker may be capable of achieving 100 plus but not necessarily in a safe manner.

In general, 60's flatbottom technology WAS good enough for 100 plus performance. Most of the boats running the big numbers were "fine tuned" with shallower shaft angles than the average 3 blade propped ski boats . In the 70's the boats were generally lighter. Many boats of the 70's had some kind of air release in the hull (runners or gull shape) and "most" had a shaft angle of 9 degrees or less. A typical 60's ski flat will porpoise wildly after about 65 making them slower, more dangerous and obviously more inefficient than they could be.

For skiing, cruising and overall nostalogia "cool factor" 60's flattys can't be beat. :))THumbsUp

You have a perfect candidate for meeting your goal. The only Holden name I've heard of is the Holden car company of GM that builds cars down under.:)
thank you for all the info,Ive definatly have a lot to learn... to say the least! since no one has heard of holden boats, is there any list or archive that could tell me who was manifacturing this style boat in that era???? or old registry documents from races?? I guess it doesnt matter really.... Im sure someone out there will recognize it one day....... also the boat is running a 2 blade prop, but not sure of shaft angel

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
thank you for all the info,Ive definatly have a lot to learn... to say the least! since no one has heard of holden boats, is there any list or archive that could tell me who was manifacturing this style boat in that era???? or old registry documents from races?? I guess it doesnt matter really.... Im sure someone out there will recognize it one day....... also the boat is running a 2 blade prop, but not sure of shaft angel
Along with over a 100 companies building these types of boats, many people made their own putting their last names on them. Maybe there's a guy named Holden that built one 2 or a dozen of these...?

When I was a kid my dad bought a Dominator flat from their shop nearby. The hull was said to be a splash from 2 different well know flats of the day. They used the top from one and the bottom from another. The Hull id is a bunch of zeros ending in 17. :D

Here's a list, but by no means is it "every single manufacturer" or "home builder" that ever existed.

It's possible that I need to add Holden to this list. :)Unsure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The very first thing I noticed on that boat was the fore front/entry. Not a lot of hulls carried that much V that far forward.
It might help if you had a good accurate measurement from the nose to the transom.
Measurement is 17'3" nose to transom and 9'9" nose to dash???? If its not called a dash feel free to correct me:)eh:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Rayson front Patterson back. :hmmm:
first thing that shot thru my mind was RAYSON CRAFT, then the shot of the back and it was uh oh.
I would even say a later 60s non center deck Howard, except the way the gunnels die off at the rear deck is wrong. Same with a Patterson. The gunnels die off more abruptly than that. Those flow off to nothing at the rear deck.

Measurement is 17'3" nose to transom and 9'9" nose to dash???? If its not called a dash feel free to correct me:)eh:)
"dash" is fine.

I'm stumped. I figure RCL should be along at soon to point out the obvious, that its not a Aqua Craft or Wickens.:no:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
I know nothing
82 Posts
Avenger Fiberglass

Not trying to be a sh!t, but you could potentially add Avenger Fiberglass MFG/ Avenger Boats to your list.... Ed Brown owned the company out of Lakeport, CA and built (vdrive) flatties under the Avenger name from 67-72 or so.... I know of one in Idaho and another one here in Ukiah, CA... Other than myself, I've only seen one other guy inquire about these boats on this site (the dude in Idaho that found and bought one), so adding them to your list probably isn't off the utmost importance...

Along with over a 100 companies building these types of boats, many people made their own putting their last names on them. Maybe there's a guy named Holden that built one 2 or a dozen of these...?

When I was a kid my dad bought a Dominator flat from their shop nearby. The hull was said to be a splash from 2 different well know flats of the day. They used the top from one and the bottom from another. The Hull id is a bunch of zeros ending in 17. :D

Here's a list, but by no means is it "every single manufacturer" or "home builder" that ever existed.

It's possible that I need to add Holden to this list. :)Unsure

·
Registered
309 Posts
numbers/letters

Wouldn't there be some ID / VIN numbers on the right ass end? That might be a thing to look for to better ID the hull manuf. Just my .02

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
Here I am to save the day...in my best "Mighty Mouse" voice...problem is...I have no idea. The rounded transom is unique to the early Howard but GN$ is correct..gunnel is not similar..does look like Rudymobile in the early nose and bow configuration...but not so...

For some strange reason when I read Holden it rang a bell...very distant bell...but a bell. I am of no use to anybody with this info...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Looks like a mid 60s Howard to me but without a better shot of the aft deck? go to " Hey Bill duke "thread here and check out the aft deck pics of his Howard that will be the key.If not put up a better pic of the aft deck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts