Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume it's around a late 60's early 70's model. Made by crusader marine, Serial # V4589, 20% ratio, LH rotation (left hand?)

Haven't found out much about it. Picked up a 1965 custom flatbottom with a built 455 olds and trailer for free. The boat does need restoration, but the engine is in tip top shape. Apparently theis v-drive is the only thing wrong with it, and I have to get a short shaft made for the output to the propeller shaft coupling. Anyway,

·
Registered
435 Posts
crusader v-drive by thermo-electron corp. 12 % box to my knowledge only gear sets were 1.15 over 1.29 over and 1.77 over or under drive.
i have one of these in a 1973 flat the tag says rotation right or left on mine.

top plug left of pic oil dipstick
top plug right simple breather
plug on side by mount is a water cooling port/ there is one on opposite side also
I have had great service out of this, box gears are 2.6 wide and tuff as nails

send me a pm for some pics and i have some names and numbers to a guy hording parts for these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm a newb when it comes to boats. Cars and trucks I'm good, boats, not so knowledgable. pretty simple as I look at it, just get lost on the terminology sometimes.

I double checked the tag on the v drive and it def. says ratio 20% and Rotation LH. I remember the owner told me there was no reverse, so that makes sense. I also noticed that the cooling plug on the left side you mentioned wasn't even there, just a hole where a plug went. Where would these plugs route to for cooling?

The 455 has Edelbrock everything on it, including Edelbrock M3 water "log" exhaust, routed straight through the hull. No snails, just straight pipes. I noticed these have inlet/outlets for cooling lines but would you happen to know which is which? I assume the upper fitting is cooler inflow and lower is warmer outflow to the engine? I have the Holley 4 barrell taped up until I get a breather for it. Here is a shot of the engine, it's ugly but it turns over nice and smooth. Shouldn't be hard to get it started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said, ugly now, but I think it'll be fine once I get that horrible baby blue and gold paint off of it and get it back to white.
The hull is actually in great shape, all fiberglass of course. Floor should be easy to fix, and a bench seat up front. So far I've taken off the exterior stripping, all the hinges, doors, seats and pulled the windsheild off. The blue only goes half way down, the bottom half of the boat is white thankfully.

·
Registered
435 Posts
my guess is the dog on the lower section of the v-drive box is a neutral. as for the gear set you can ck how there in by marking the upper and lower shaft and turn them and see if it was set up under drive or over drive...but my bet it is under driven
as 20 overgear the engine and weight combo of the boat would not pull very well without a lot more hp.

wow she needs a little work... but i like your vision and i have never seen anything like it so you got my support! i like anything different.

you might ck out classic v-drive club online this will be a great source for parts also post on this site in the parts spam for anything wtb or sell have found these guys to be very helpful.

as for the v-drive box in 30 years i have only found one guy that has parts for them so if you need anything i shoot you a name and number he is in California area

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great boat, but your 455 Olds is really a Pontiac engine. Better off like that I think. Lots more parts out there for Pontiacs than for Olds any more.

Fast

·
The Maverick
538 Posts
Like I said, ugly now, but I think it'll be fine once I get that horrible baby blue and gold paint off of it and get it back to white.
The hull is actually in great shape, all fiberglass of course. Floor should be easy to fix, and a bench seat up front. So far I've taken off the exterior stripping, all the hinges, doors, seats and pulled the windsheild off. The blue only goes half way down, the bottom half of the boat is white thankfully.
"What V-Drive is it?"

What kind of hull is it???????? :confused:

What is up with the X-boat windsheild??? it looks like weak scrap.....

Oh and is that realllllly a step lader off of the cav-Plate!?? :))eek:))

Hold on here I think I know the name of this boat! RED NECK! hil:) LMAO!

Well I guess you can not beat free.... :)eh:)*

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'd lose the windshield now. All white with two blue deck stripes a-la ford gt-40.. The tail on the back looks right..

Oh -- ladder's gotta go too..

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
looks like a 1960 beisemeyer with a added on transom splash guard,tri hull walk thru windsheild,custom ladder and other added on gold wood lookin acc. damn.:p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
well its different i agree. when those were made i guess meth was cheap . yes thats a Pontiac. want another on i have a 389. they make great boat anchors. as far as the hull don't get discouraged but remember dont plan on selling it. do it because you want to . there is a cool video posted here of a guy dragging the hull down the street. a youtube video. lets try it with that. or hell call the bandit and put the blown hemi and lets see what it will do in a qtr

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
"What V-Drive is it?"

What kind of hull is it???????? :confused:

What is up with the X-boat windsheild??? it looks like weak scrap.....

Oh and is that realllllly a step lader off of the cav-Plate!?? :))eek:))

Hold on here I think I know the name of this boat! RED NECK! hil:) LMAO!

Well I guess you can not beat free.... :)eh:)*
Easy there young gun! It wouldn't be to hard to throw stones your way, instead we praise you, tell you you've done well, and do our best to make you feel good. Now humble yourself a little and extend a fellow boater the same courtesy we extend you. F1~:)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
your right. i apologize. as we all give chit we all will help in any way. its definitely different. a boat like this should be made 100% orig. i have never seen a v drive like that . maybe do a resto rod with it and put updated v drive and engine for reliability and make outside look orig.

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
...Biesemier???...

...At about 50 seconds into this video is an early Beismier...I forget the model name...It belongs to Brian Lynch of the V-Drive Club...Even with a fixed plate it doesn't porpouise and drives like a dream.....I'm sure he would be happy to share info with you...

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Great boat, but your 455 Olds is really a Pontiac engine. Better off like that I think. Lots more parts out there for Pontiacs than for Olds any more.

Fast
And check the #'s out. If I'm not mistaken, most of the big/small block Pontiacs have the same outside dimensions/appearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with the windshield, it was horrendous (well technically so is the rest of the boat) but I have a healthy imagination on what I'd LIKE it to look, so I took off the windhsheild as soon as I got it home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still don't know the make for sure, haven't gotten the original title paperwork back yet from TPWD (and the guy I got it from was indeed the original owner of 44 years, since 1965 according to them). He was unsure of the make, but knew it was a 1965 something "Craft". I looked through iboats dot com for "Crafts" made in 1965, but was unsuccessful in my search of anything other than a sailboat. of course I did not find any info stamped on the boat. Once I start sanding I'll look closer.
Yes, the transom splash gaurd was a custom job by him in the late 70's, as was the middle "divider" with the storage bins. I'm not sure about the two doors on the front of the boat, the gas tank is under there, but I'm not sure if that was original or if it was solid.
Apparently he did have trouble with water coming over the back when decelerating, so he solved it with this design when he worked at a boat repair place in Oklahoma City (I guess that statement answered some questions). I also have the original transom of the boat with another cavitation plate still mounted on it as well, it looks nothing like this one for sure. Yes I agree the ladder is stupid, but a 60 year old skier might need a little help getting in a boat. I don't...
How could you tell it was a Pontiac engine? I have some casting numbers from the heads, but couldn't find anything on the block. i'm not sure if blue and gold was in in the early 70's, but it is not now for sure.

After sanding this week I hope to be sitting here:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did look at that Beismeyer boat in the you-tube video that was posted on this thread (turquios and white with flames). It does resemble that one quite alot. I guess I'll just have to wait until the papers to figure it out.

Anyone give me more info on the identification of the Pontiac engine over Olds?

Thanks for all your other help and info.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts