Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see whipple has finally rolled out their kit for 06-09 GM trucks. Now that my '07 Sierra Denali is out of warranty I was thinking about this kit; anyone have any experience with the upgrade? I have the 6.2L Vortec.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I had a 5.3L Tahoe with a Whipple and loved it. Made the thing super fun to drive. I did make the mistake of putting on a cold air and headers and had lots of problems keeping the aftermarket cold air hoses connected. The headers always leaked and had to be tightened all the time. I would just add the Whipple and stay away from all the other stuff. The Whipple alone will make enough power.

I towed my twin engine 28 Daytona with it and had no problems even towing on really hot days. They now offer a Intercooler kit which would make it even better.

My wife rolled it so I don't have it anymore and looking to buy a older Denali and Whipple it. I really miss that Tahoe.
MP

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Call Kevin, he really knows his shit. He was head designer at Magnuson before he went out on his own and the Eaton four lobe high helix puts out big numbers. He did one on my friends caddy P/U and it hauls ass.:D

Kevin McMillan
McMillan Speed & Fab
170 N. Lambert St., Unit 1
Oxnard, CA 93036
805-732-8293
Hours: M-F 9AM - 5PM (PST)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i put a magnuson(sp?) supercharger kit on a new 5.3 liter 4months ago for a pharmasist. it ran like a bat outta hell!!!! feels like it has about 500ish at the crank now. the kit was veryyyyy nice, had everything! i didn't have to fab ntohing,it all bolted up the way it was meant too. kit was around 5500.00:)sphss

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
Put a magnacharger on it and call it a day.

The whipple vortech and payton wouldn't make good daily drivers imho.

The maggie on my vette was trouble free and you could drive it from here to ny and back no prob.:)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Call Kevin, he really knows his shit. He was head designer at Magnuson before he went out on his own and the Eaton four lobe high helix puts out big numbers. He did one on my friends caddy P/U and it hauls ass.:D

Kevin McMillan
McMillan Speed & Fab
170 N. Lambert St., Unit 1
Oxnard, CA 93036
805-732-8293
Hours: M-F 9AM - 5PM (PST)
posted before i got to it:D magnuson all the way! :)devil

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Kevin designed and mapped all the packages from Magnuson for years and they refer all the one off deals to him now. I always look forward to his phone calls from Duttweilers Dyno room screaming numbers out.:D

Take your junk in to him and pick it up dialed or he'll hook you up with the package iof you want to install yourself.:)devil

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Put a magnacharger on it and call it a day.

The whipple vortech and payton wouldn't make good daily drivers imho.

The maggie on my vette was trouble free and you could drive it from here to ny and back no prob.:)

Sorry but I disagree:(:( my 5.3L with Whipple drove like stock except more power. It even got better fuel mileage if you kept your foot out of it then it did stock. I put about 30k miles on it and it was my wife's daily driver. She loved it!

I am sure the magnacharger is good although I have never owned one but I know for a fact the Whipple is awesome.

Why are you guys trying to switch him over to Magna after he asked about Whipple? especially if you have no personal experience with Whipple?:|err

Must be because everyone uses magnachargers on there boats, they make so much more power then Whipples,, NOT!!

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
Sorry but I disagree:(:( my 5.3L with Whipple drove like stock except more power. It even got better fuel mileage if you kept your foot out of it then it did stock. I put about 30k miles on it and it was my wife's daily driver. She loved it!

I am sure the magnacharger is good although I have never owned one but I know for a fact the Whipple is awesome.

Why are you guys trying to switch him over to Magna after he asked about Whipple? especially if you have no personal experience with Whipple?:|err

Must be because everyone uses magnachargers on there boats, they make so much more power then Whipples,, NOT!!

I didn't say anything about max hp.....The Whipple and KB make a ton of hp

If I was building a race car I would go KB or whipple before magnacharger. Shoot I would go turbo or nitrous before KB or whipple.

I have been around quite a few cars with every kit under the sun;):) To say that Whipple builds a kit that is as nice in the fit and finish department and 100% ready to rock/reliable out of the box like magnacharger is a fabrication of reality.....

I see that they now have a "new" kit for the 07-09 trucks so maybe they steped up there game in the complete kit department. Everyone I know that has a whipple had to peice alot of it together themselves.(intercooler,injectors,tuning,programming..etc..)

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I didn't say anything about max hp.....The Whipple and KB make a ton of hp

If I was building a race car I would go KB or whipple before magnacharger. Shoot I would go turbo or nitrous before KB or whipple.

I have been around quite a few cars with every kit under the sun;):) To say that Whipple builds a kit that is as nice in the fit and finish department and 100% ready to rock/reliable out of the box like magnacharger is a fabrication of reality.....

I see that they now have a "new" kit for the 07-09 trucks so maybe they steped up there game in the complete kit department. Everyone I know that has a whipple had to peice alot of it together themselves.(intercooler,injectors,tuning,programming..etc..)

Not sure about the new kits but when I bought mine it came with everything I needed to complete the install myself in my garage. No tuning extra parts, or injectors. I put it on in one day with no prior experience with superchargers.

They have had kits for 5.3 and 6.0L for ever and come out with new intake manifolds for all the variations.

I was just talking to Dustin about a kit for a 6.0L Denali and they even have a intake manifold for some better heads. Seems like they had all the parts and a complete kit with intercooler to me.

Maybe your fiends were doing some custom application but for the stock GM stuff Whipple has a "kit" for all the main engines.

The latest kit with Intercooler looks pretty cool. I would be confident enough to bu it and install myself based on my past experience with there kits.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts

Magnuson never pursued the boating market, instead they targeted the Factory Warranted car market selling to a much much larger market share.
The new four lobe Eaton approaches the screw charger in efficiency, check the research.

I recommended Kevin as he knows his shit, worked for Vortech and Magnuson, will install turnkey, and will give you the facts on all the kits out there.

He's also freeway close to Millhouse.

BTW do want to buy the recently rolled out Whipple kit or the tried and true Magnuson kit that has been factory warranted?;)

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Magnuson never pursued the boating market, instead they targeted the Factory Warranted car market selling to a much much larger market share.
The new four lobe Eaton approaches the screw charger in efficiency, check the research.

I recommended Kevin as he knows his shit, worked for Vortech and Magnuson, will install turnkey, and will give you the facts on all the kits out there.

He's also freeway close to Millhouse.

BTW do want to buy the recently rolled out Whipple kit or the tried and true Magnuson kit that has been factory warranted?;)

I know Magnusen never went for the boat market, that was my point, Why was everyone here on a boat site pushing Magnuson when the guy asked about Whipple??

I am now realizing why I only have 65 post, it is just not worth it. Why can't everyone be positive and supoprtive and not put down products they know nothing about.

And yes I would rather have the new Whipple kit, I would also rather have EFI instead of "tried and proven" Carbs on my boat but there are still guys that think they can tune with jets better then a computer can tune with Injectors.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I know Magnusen never went for the boat market, that was my point, Why was everyone here on a boat site pushing Magnuson when the guy asked about Whipple??

I am now realizing why I only have 65 post, it is just not worth it. Why can't everyone be positive and supoprtive and not put down products they know nothing about.

And yes I would rather have the new Whipple kit, I would also rather have EFI instead of "tried and proven" Carbs on my boat but there are still guys that think they can tune with jets better then a computer can tune with Injectors.

I'd rather tune my birdcatcher.:p:D

As I said Kevin knows supercharging, sells the kits, installs the kits and his shop is close to Millhouse.

If I was Millhouse I'd do the research on both setups then decide, but that's just me.:D

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I'd rather tune my birdcatcher.:p:D

As I said Kevin knows supercharging, sells the kits, installs the kits and his shop is close to Millhouse.

If I was Millhouse I'd do the research on both setups then decide, but that's just me.:D

I agree on the fact that he should check out someone in his backyard. I know I would, So you have a point there.

I guess I just get bent when someone puts down products with no personal experience. I know you didn't do that.

Not sure why I let myself get bent over anything on here:D

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I agree on the fact that he should check out someone in his backyard. I know I would, So you have a point there.

I guess I just get bent when someone puts down products with no personal experience. I know you didn't do that.

Not sure why I let myself get bent over anything on here:D

Hey it's not the internet if you're not arguing or giving someone chit!:|err:|err:)hand

Sometines good advice.:D

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, wasn't trying to start a war here :D

I am looking at the whipple because I have one on my boat, love it and know many many other people that have great experiences with them. I also have talked to many vette guys that have equally good stories about Magnussen. Main thing i was wondering about is the power and reliability and it sounds like both have it covered. I guess I will look into both.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Wow, wasn't trying to start a war here :D

I am looking at the whipple because I have one on my boat, love it and know many many other people that have great experiences with them. I also have talked to many vette guys that have equally good stories about Magnussen. Main thing i was wondering about is the power and reliability and it sounds like both have it covered. I guess I will look into both.
LOL Ya its amazing how things can got sideways.

In case you didn't notice my vote was for Whipple :D

MP

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a little more research on both and it looks like the whipple actually makes more power. Still waiting on a response from them though on some of my questions...to be continued.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I see whipple has finally rolled out their kit for 06-09 GM trucks. Now that my '07 Sierra Denali is out of warranty I was thinking about this kit; anyone have any experience with the upgrade? I have the 6.2L Vortec.
you drive a lot I take it?? you know the powertrain warranty on that 07 is 5-year 100k right? if she is up past 100 clicks I might be a little shy about bolting a compressor on...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts