Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage is deep but narrow. I will have 5 inches of room on either side. I have not backed the boat into the garage yet, but some tell me it should be easy. I was thinking of mounting a hitch to the front of my truck. It would seem to be a simple solution and give me more control.

Am I looking at this right? Anyone else use this method? It is cheaper then a dolly.

Regards, SSC

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
My garage is deep but narrow. I will have 5 inches of room on either side. I have not backed the boat into the garage yet, but some tell me it should be easy. I was thinking of mounting a hitch to the front of my truck. It would seem to be a simple solution and give me more control.

Am I looking at this right? Anyone else use this method? It is cheaper then a dolly.

Regards, SSC
it's a good idea and would make it easier. i looked into it but realized that the time it would take me to stop in front of the house, unhitch, turn around, re-hitch, and then park, I would have backed it in already. My parking spot it tight but with a little practice i can now get it in there in the dark by myself:

Attachments

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Definitely a tight squeeze.

it's a good idea and would make it easier. i looked into it but realized that the time it would take me to stop in front of the house, unhitch, turn around, re-hitch, and then park, I would have backed it in already. My parking spot it tight but with a little practice i can now get it in there in the dark by myself:

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
it works very well. Ever drive a fork lift? Same thing. Takes time to learn how fast it will react. The down side is if you have a large boat you will not be able to see the sides at all because you have no mirrors to look out at:)bulb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a front hitch on my 04 f150 to park the boat in the garage. The area where the boat is kept is a 110" wide and the trailer from wheel to wheel is 100". If it was a straight shot back I would have no problem with a rear hitch. The garage door is not 110" wide so it makes for a fun time after a 5 hour trip hauling the boat home and trying to park it. It is possible to do it without the front hitch but It is much easier and I get a faster input response in a tight area with the front hitch.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts

Regards, SSC
Nope ..mirror extentions is all. If truck drivers can put a 60 foot trailer between 2 others without room to walk ..A Rig pig like me can park a boat :D

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
i say just man up:)sphss and keep honing your skills, soon you will be able to do it with your eyes closed with you trailer on the back where it belongs. a front mounted hitch is going to look goddi. but obviously you do what you need to do to make you life as easy as possible. you can also line you garage with cusions to rub up against just in case you get to close

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I built a front hitch to go into the horns of my tow bar on the Grand Cherokee. Worked great for putting the boats away on a steep driveway with limited power and speed. Now that we have the Ram 3500, it has enough low-speed power that we no longer need the speed to get up the driveway and can put the boat almost exactly where I want every time. Te front hitch made life much easier, though.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
I back a 28' V into a garage door opening with only an inch on each side, up hill with a 1/2 ton... I wish I had 5"... just back it in.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
It's the way to go.

Some even mount the hitch on the right or left side of the front of their rig for even more tight control in the angles.

I have all the power trailer dollies and they should be a last resort, or for operations where you're moving stuff all day.

Start with the hitch on front first, then consider the dollies.

Remember ya need the 7 point elect plug installed too to for the break release on some newer trailers. Cheap.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My side yard of my old house was REALLY tight. Not that tight but still tight.

I backed it in with no problems. The mirrors are excellent for spotting the sides simultaneously if you can pull the boat straight.

I usually backed by turning to get lined up then pulled forward to straighten it out. Did this a couple times and got truck and trailer in a straight line then backed it in.

the key is the room in front of the garage. If you have plenty of room in front you should have no problem backing it in, especially if you have room to pull forward and straighten the truck out. In my case I had my drive way and both sides of the street, roughly 35 feet.

Just take your time.

The front mount hitch would be good if you need to turn quickly into your garage for whatever reason (i.e. not alot of room in front to straighten out.) or a hard turn into your garage.

Regards, SSC

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
it works very well. Ever drive a fork lift? Same thing. Takes time to learn how fast it will react. The down side is if you have a large boat you will not be able to see the sides at all because you have no mirrors to look out at:)bulb.

Yea if you put the hitch in the middle. There's a guy here in Phoenix that makes them, and others i guess. They put the hitch to one side, like where the tow hooks go. I bought a yard tracktor to move mine. One thing to watch out, DO not hit any part that will pop the air bag.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Side benefit....

Don't know if it was mentioned but, being in D1 wrangling the boat in is easier on the trans than reverse.

I have a tight uphill squeeze too but I'm too lazy to unhook and rehook to the front.

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts

Regards, SSC
yes I use a front hitch:)devil, best thing I ever did to my truck. you can pivot a trailer right on the axles, perfect for those tight spots or sharp corners and no need for help as you can actually see what you are doing

I have a picture somewhere of OG's 27' Dana on the front and LHC30's 24' toon on the back at the same time:)sphss

WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can pick up a under the bumper receiver for about $50 and bolt it in.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just ordered one for my 2500 hd.Its mainly to use so i can add a rack to carry portable generator when i haul my camper.or a dirtbike carrier when toyhauloer is too full.

It was 160 something shipped.

I have moved trailers with forklifts and like said they are touchy when turning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts