Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
A topic that will last forever, but I'll give you a short-cut: ;)

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=28821&highlight=filter

This is one of several threads on the subject.

Edit: And yes I use them and love them. I've had my share of "blow-ups" and broken parts and kept running the engine as long as the oil pressure was up. The filters worked well enough to keep things alive and bearings looking fine. The ease of cleaning them and inspection of the engine oil is great.

S CP :D

·
Just another Wannabe
1,204 Posts
I use them, swear by them, love them and risk all I have with them. They are awesome. Well put together. Easy to clean. Easy to inspect. They do last re-build after re-build. I have many with years and years on them. No leaks, no bad batches or recalls. They just keep working.
There is only one argument that I have heard that is actually reasonable and true. The dimmensions of the filters actually let a little larger particle through than some of the guys like to see. They want smaller mil's of filtration. I have yet to have a problem with this, and I have been running nothing but this on my stuff for about a decade or so. And even other peoples engines on the dyno, I spin theirs off and put on one of mine. Seen too many problems with standard spin on stuff. Just eliminate that by throwin on one of mine. I also use their inline stuff for dry sump and external stuff. (Sometimes even use the inline for incoming fuel.) Plus, I really like the owner. Cool guy!

·
B1 Racing
6,261 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Good thread.

Saw this and thought Id throw it in this thread.

System 1 screen type filters suck ass. Just my .02.. Im yet to see any bearings come out looking good. Ask cyclone what he thinks.:)
LOL...guess I don't need to add anything here...

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Good thread.

Saw this and thought Id throw it in this thread.

System 1 screen type filters suck ass. Just my .02.. Im yet to see any bearings come out looking good. Ask cyclone what he thinks.:)
just cut open my first Baldwin filter after a weekend at the river. bueno!

system1...never again! that thing wouldn't catch coffee grounds if they were in my oil. i've seen firsthand what a 45 micron screen system 1 filter does with .0025 bearing clearances and wouldn't recommend that filter if they were giving them away.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
What's the micron size of the Baldwin and what part number ? My engine is apart maybe I'll give one a shot.

I still can't remember a bad looking bearing with my System 1. I thought I had a picture of rod bearing but I couldn't find it.

S CP :D

·
Engine junkie
136 Posts
Running a system 1 filter is as effective as filtering your oil with a screen door.
Those who actually know the difference will never use one again.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hmmmmmm......I am about to light off my new twin turbo deal in the next week or so and have a system 1 set up here that I was going to plumb in to my set up. You guys have me thinking twice now......

Travis

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Baldwin filter # b279, the best you can get imo. I have 2 cases of them on standby.
That is for the BBC. Not sure what the ferds take.

System one? I was talked out of that years ago by a few engine guys. Junk IMO!!:)sphss

·
I don't feel tardy
837 Posts
Baldwin filter # b279, the best you can get imo. I have 2 cases of them on standby.

System one? I was talked out of that years ago by a few engine guys. Junk IMO!!:)sphss
Ford=B2 I think

Tim,
I have been using the B6-HPG. What is the difference other than the obvious.
I'll stop by the place where I buy my filters when I get off work & see if they can tell me.
Have a safe weekend:D

·
steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Hmmmmmm......I am about to light off my new twin turbo deal in the next week or so and have a system 1 set up here that I was going to plumb in to my set up. You guys have me thinking twice now......

Travis
Don't think twice Trav...get rid of it.:)hand

·
I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts

Filter has a built in 20 PSI bypass. I'm still curious about you guys with engines making good power and bypass's. I was told a long time ago to remove the bypass.

·
Premium Member
26,163 Posts
Shaun, there no problem removing the bypass so long as you remember a few things. Every drop of oil your motor needs has to pass through the filter media, and it better be up to the job. That means don't try to get away with a standard passenger car filter like ph8 fram extra gaurd, extended gaurd or any other filter trying to filter down to 20 microns. That means a K&N, Moroso Racing, Baldwin, or and I hate to say this, Fram HP series. All Fram filters now have a bypass in them, even the HP's. Probably to save the filter itself from idiots. If you can fit the long truck filter, do it. Absolutly do not try to get away with those stubbing ass short filters. AND DO NOT GET RACEY WHILE THE OIL IS COLD. The OIL Shaun, not the motor. I don't run a bypass, but then, I do run 2 K&Ns
http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=HP4

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.