Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call that the 4 palm trees in front of the Shack are gone. Problem is, I didn't remove them. I guess palm trees bring more than copper wire now.....:)sphss

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
Where did this happen? I have heard of people taking palm trees in the past. I just hope nobody takes my trio, cause it was expensive. :)

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. Very expensive.....I have 17 Palm trees at my house. Had 18 but I had the gardner take one out. If I had to replace them today...well, I would not spend the money to do it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I had to replace them today...well, I would not spend the money to do it.
Well, if you did have to replace them today, I have 4 palms, pretty good size that I just pulled out. They need to be planted ASAP as they are sitting on a trailer out back.

:)hand

·
Dazed and confused!
512 Posts
With the way the economy is right now. I would not be surprised to hear they stole your shirt off of your back while you were wearing it.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not breaking my heart as they would have to be removed to demo the Shack later this month, but it would've been nice to know first......
This was 5 years ago. They got a LOT bigger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Well, if you did have to replace them today, I have 4 palms, pretty good size that I just pulled out. They need to be planted ASAP as they are sitting on a trailer out back.

Where are you?

Joe

That happened to my parents neighbors about 5 years ago in Seal Beach, Ca. What they usually do is stop by your home one night and turn on the hose a little bit to soak the ground around the tree. You wake up and dont think anything about it and just turn off the hose in the morning. A couple of nights later depending on the size of the tree they either pull the tree by hand, winch or crane. I heard of a 25 footer getting yanked in Westminster about 6 or 7 years ago.

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts

where are they?

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
It is funny to see this thread, cause I am super paranoid about this and my Dad was making fun of me. I just spent my Saturday digging a 2.5' deep x 2' wide hole in my brand new sod and spend about $40 in good soil to plant my trio of foxtails, the damn things cost me $300 and are only 10'. They are SUPER heavy and it takes at least 2 people to sort of spin the ball around, 3 could probably do it, but getting it out of the hole is a pain...I would have to kill someone for the money and work I put in.

I am going to start sleeping by the window.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not blocking much of a view, that's why we're demo'ing and rebuilding. I suspect it was a neighbor helping out. Some time ago, I mentioned to one that if he knew anyone with a backhoe, could they accidentally knock them over. :))eek:)) The Bronco and the Circus boat are OK, and there's no signs anyone screwed with the Shack, so maybe they DID get knocked over.... and removed.... and filled... and graded.... :)hand

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
not sure what kind of palm they were but the date palms go for a huge chunk of change and thats for the young ones the ones that are about 5 years old WOW like way too much money for those

we have the same problem with the young date palms down here

·
Registered
373 Posts
The beach cities in OC had problem with Sago's back in the mid 90's i think, my parents still have an elephant chain on one of there's.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
This is an epidemic in the ie, especially for sago palms. I know of a business owner who got sick of it, and locks them up with bicycle chains at night!!

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here's a pic I received of the now palmless Shack. You can see why it wasn't an issue over blocking a view :)sphss and why we're dragging it off and building.:)devil Of course NOW I have weeding to do this weekend before the city has a fit.

Attachments

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, we headed out there yesterday and got the lowdown. It WAS the neighbor on the corner that had them pulled. I don't much care about that, bit I DID find out why it was graded real nice. They called bluestake (I guess the "call before you dig" deal) before a contractor pulled them out. Problem was, the water company never responded to stake the 4" water main. Of course the first tree they pulled out broke it. The neighborhood was all abuzz about not having water for a few hours because MY palm trees broke the main. The water company did a nice job grading it smooth after they dug up the front of my property. Also had some scumbag claiming to be from the contractor tried to pull the aluminum siding off the trailer. The neighbor across the street asked to see his work order and he got all pissed and told him to get out of his face. Now my neighbor isn't big and muscular, or even remotely a badass, but he has a .357 and cancer. He doesn't really have a lot to lose screwing around with lowlife. Great guy, great neighbor, and a damn shame he's going through this.
All is good now .... we picked out colors and materials yesterday. It's gonna be kinda sad moving everything out of the Shack in a few weeks for demo..... there's something nice about an old river place you can't hurt. You just hang out and party. The upsided is the new place will have a bar room and pool table. :)devil And yes guys, the NEW Shack will have a LOT more boat and truck parking. Expect the party around Memorial Day. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts