Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the Goodyear Marathon tires for over 9 years, and haven't had a single problem until the last trip. The tire went low, I think someone let a little air out and the heat damaged it. I changed it with the spare on an offramp. However, after a month of sitting, it still has the same amount of air.

I called a place asking for the Goodyear tire, and he asked why I was specifically asked for that tire. My only response was, because Carlisles are shit. He laughed, and found another brand in store, but didn't say what it was for $99 on a C rated radial.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've used the Goodyear Marathon tires for over 9 years, and haven't had a single problem until the last trip. The tire went low, I think someone let a little air out and the heat damaged it. I changed it with the spare on an offramp. However, after a month of sitting, it still has the same amount of air.

I called a place asking for the Goodyear tire, and he asked why I was specifically asked for that tire. My only response was, because Carlisles are shit. He laughed, and found another brand in store, but didn't say what it was for $99 on a C rated radial.
I just put a set of tow masters on, which are a C rated radial for $320.00 out the door (4 tires) every place I talked to didn't care for Carlisles

·
Registered
231 Posts
How heavy of a boat are you towing? If an 18' Jet boat like in your avatar, I wouldn't hesitate to run a BFG Radial TA. Ran those on my Daytona for 15 years without one problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How heavy of a boat are you towing? If an 18' Jet boat like in your avatar, I wouldn't hesitate to run a BFG Radial TA. Ran those on my Daytona for 15 years without one problem.
19' light to med. lay up, only got 6 years out of the carlisles, I'll check out the BFG's when these wear out, Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been running the tow masters since Discount stopped carrying the junk Carlises. The first one I bought lasted a year and a half and was dry rotted to hell. We will see how the rest hold up.

Next boat I am going a totally different route. I will put bigger wheels on the trailer so I can run a 10 ply truck tire. I am yet to find a true trailer tire that is worth a shit. I know a lot people have had good luck with a few different brands but my boat weighs around 8K pounds so its a different ball game.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Yes. They are crap! I just replaced all 4 on my Shockwave trailer when I got a flat on the 15 FWY in Hesparia. I limped it to Americas Tire Company on Main St. and got 4 new Tow Masters for $360.

I have had Tow Masters on Ultra Trailer for over 2 years and they still look brand new with over 25 river trips on them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just had to replace 6 Goodyear Marathons. They were four years old, had maybe 3000 miles on them never stored outside and every one of them was falling apart. bubbing trea coming apart etc. Went to discount tire and put on Greenball towmasters, we'll see how they hold up.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
i just had a goodyear marathon only two years old, always stored inside , balloon on me last weekend. Glad she didn't blow!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you are going radial greenball get the Towmaster V (5).
Over the years they are the only tire I have not lost due to a sidewall blow or belt slip.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I do own a set of carlsile tires, no problems whatsoever yet with them.... Oh, did i mention they're carslile "Links" tires on my golf cart? LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tires have an age limit...I wouldn't run a tire for much longer than that.
Just goin off a earlier qoute that someone got 15 years out of some BFG's, i put maybe 1800 miles a year with a light boat that is always garaged, should get at least 8 years, dont you think?

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Just goin off a earlier qoute that someone got 15 years out of some BFG's, i put maybe 1800 miles a year with a light boat that is always garaged, should get at least 8 years, dont you think?

Thats a long time for trailer tires. I'd say too long. Unless your boating (towing) all year round the tires will go bad from sitting half the year. I suppose on the flip side, if you were boating all year round they'd need replaced just as soon as your towing more miles more often.

I don't care what weight the load is or where the tire is stored; thinking your trailer tires will last almost a decade is a pretty big fantasy. Maybe someone else will throw in there two cents.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My boat came with a "competative" brand 2 axel trailer that has Carslile tires. I just noticed after my last trip, the rear tires have wear. The tread is starting to lift like a potato chip and curl. Does that description make sense to anyone? I will try to take a picture of it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My boat came with a "competative" brand 2 axel trailer that has Carslile tires. I just noticed after my last trip, the rear tires have wear. The tread is starting to lift like a potato chip and curl. Does that description make sense to anyone? I will try to take a picture of it.
Sounds like it is starting to separate. Thats what happened to my GY Marathons.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
I took mine to discount and they replaced all 7 of them....

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
There is not a trailer tire manufacture that has not had a problem with a tire or 2. In this case size does matter. To say that all tires from any manufacture suck is a false statement. So if you want to know if there are issues with a tire, let's say Carlisle or Goodyear you really have to specify the size and model to see if there are issues.

Tires that sit for long periods of time will have issues sooner than 1 that is used on a regular basis. Direct Sunlight, heat, poor roads, under inflation and age will also cause tires to have issues sooner. Trailer tires should be inflated to the max rating for that tire also. Lots of folks don't do this.

These are some of the reasons that the responses will be all over the board. Good luck in your quest to find that perfect tire. Let me know if you find it..:)hand:) I personally found mine with Maxus for my particular load and tire size.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is not a trailer tire manufacture that has not had a problem with a tire or 2. In this case size does matter. To say that all tires from any manufacture suck is a false statement. So if you want to know if there are issues with a tire, let's say Carlisle or Goodyear you really have to specify the size and model to see if there are issues.

Tires that sit for long periods of time will have issues sooner than 1 that is used on a regular basis. Direct Sunlight, heat, poor roads, under inflation and age will also cause tires to have issues sooner. Trailer tires should be inflated to the max rating for that tire also. Lots of folks don't do this.

These are some of the reasons that the responses will be all over the board. Good luck in your quest to find that perfect tire. Let me know if you find it..:)hand:) I personally found mine with Maxus for my particular load and tire size.

I think we can all understand having a problem with a "tire or 2", however; there have been more failures reported on different trailers, carrying different types of boats in different conditions that all seemed to have a common denominator going well into the early Hot Boat days.

Granted, there are a lot of people out there there that don't know how to properly inflate their tires to the proper load and it increases the risk for a blowout. But there are also tires built better to suit varying tolerances than Carlisle and I'm not one to risk sitting on the side of the road for a shitty tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts