Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that roller cams are machined from billet steel. Doe's the manufacturing process end with heat treating?
I once heard that GM BB rollers don't require using a bronze distributor gear. Is this true?
Thanks for the feed back!

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is my understanding that roller cams are machined from billet steel. Doe's the manufacturing process end with heat treating?
I once heard that GM BB rollers don't require using a bronze distributor gear. Is this true?
Thanks for the feed back!
Yes u don't have to use a bronze gear but u cant use a non roller dist gear on a roller cam. yes the roller cams are harder heat treaded steel that eats ur non roller dist gear i learned the hard way. i didn't go bronze i went with a gm roller melonized steel gear. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-10456413/

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
IF it's a cast iron roller like most inexpensive cam kits they run a standard OEM steel distributor gear, if it's a steel billet roller you need to run the bronze. In some cases when the old gear has gone bad on a billet cam they are machined and re-geared with a cast iron gear, but that a exception and not real common.................................Yes, cams are heat treated.
IF your not sure, have someone with knowledge of the different type cams, pull the distributor to verify.

Also, some crafty cam grinders will machine between the lobes to try and disguise the grind as a billet!!

My Two Bits..................... :airplane:

OK, Bob you can jump in anytime....................................

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought a Lunati Voodoo roller, and I was ready to order the bronze gear to go with it. The Lunati salesman told me the stock gear was fine. I hope he was right.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
The 8620 billet steel cams do go though a hardening process. To some extent they may be lightly reqround but beyond a very slight regrind rehardeneing becomes necessary.

Not all billet steel cam cores have billet steel distributor drive gears (see posts above).

LO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guy's! I should have mentioned that I'm running with a Mallory magnetic dist.
The small caps really get crowded with the wire boots, wish I'd gone with a big cap MSD!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts