Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the pro's about locking out the timing, aside from being harder to crank sometimes, are there any disadvantages from doing that on a jet boat? I'm not running WFO all the time, I'm pulling skiers, cruising, etc. It runs better with it set at 36 all the time (SBC 383), I can keep the idle cleaner, but for those that have it locked do you have to keep an eye out for part throttle detonation, like at an RPM that I'd be pulling someone, or are these mainly race boats that you do this to? Because I don't think I'd ever hear it knocking, the Bassetts would cover up that noise. Thanks.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
I've read all the pro's about locking out the timing, aside from being harder to crank sometimes, are there any disadvantages from doing that on a jet boat? I'm not running WFO all the time, I'm pulling skiers, cruising, etc. It runs better with it set at 36 all the time (SBC 383), I can keep the idle cleaner, but for those that have it locked do you have to keep an eye out for part throttle detonation, like at an RPM that I'd be pulling someone, or are these mainly race boats that you do this to? Because I don't think I'd ever hear it knocking, the Bassetts would cover up that noise. Thanks.
I don't see any problem with locking out your timing.
In a jet boat, you're not going to load the engine at those lower rpm's like you might with a prop or set of tires. You'll most likely be at well over 3000rpm pulling a skiier where you'll want full advance, and if you're only pulling a tube, then you'll barely have your foot in it at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You should be okay depending on where you cruise at. In my 21 I m on plane at 2800-3000 and when pulling an inner-tube I'm in the 3000-3500 range-all your timing should be in by then...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought the same as you "if it pingged I couldnt hear it over the pipes" Well I was wrong . You'll hear it. Its just a question of will you recognize it?

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Most modern aftermarket ignitions have some type of crank retard built in and the cranking issue is solved. We ran a SBC in our drag car with a locked out mag and killed more than a few starters before we converted to a MSD.
To your point, if your fuel curve is anywhere close, you shouldn't have any problems. 36 degrees lead is pretty soft if you're running 23 degree heads. Our 383's typically liked 40-42 degrees lead with around 14:1 CR, Brodix Track 1's/Dart Pro 1 heads. Those engines saw a lot of part throttle use with the throttle stop and had no issues at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm locked this season for the 1st time, I think the bucking the starter deal is worse at 17* than 37*. Edit: But I'm not pushing a 14 to 1 cr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts