Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 2000 toyota tundra 4x4 v8 with 290,000 miles. My question is are the K&N intakes worth it or just their air-filters as far as gaining mpg. If I were to do that would I need to put in a flowmaster or gibson as well? just wondering if its worth it.

Thanks in advance

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
An engine is only a glorified air pump. The more air you can get in and out, the better it will perform. The whole intake plumbing is usually restrictive and has baffles to reduce interior noise, not to promote the best airflow. It's best to do the whole intake and filter, and a good cat-back exhaust or even just the muffler will help. Then you could go to synthetic fluids all around, and a set of headers and a programmer to finish up the basic bolt-ons if you ever wanted to.

But for what it's worth, the mileage you'll gain with all of those could probably be equaled by using the best driving habits you can...lots of fuel mileage tricks and tips that will add up and not cost you anything.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I spent the money and put a K&N on my 08 Tundra, seems like it's got a bit more grunt to it, maybe that's just in my mind, but I did pick up about 2MPG with it. In the long run it'll pay for itself by never having to buy another filter.

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
I wouldn't put a dime more than I had to into a truck with nearly 300K miles on it. Just keep doing what you're doing and run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts