Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you sick of highly paid teachers?
Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300
per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!
The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jon Stewart Calls Out Fox News' Hypocrisy Comparing Teachers, Wall Street (VIDEO)

Jon Stewart Calls Out Fox News' Hypocrisy Comparing Teachers, Wall Street

Thursday night's "Daily Show" featured Jon Stewart doing what he does best: calling out hypocrisy in the media. After a segment on the intensified battle between Gov. Scott Walker and Wisconsin unions, Stewart took a look at how Fox News was reporting on the story, specifically compared to how they covered similar threats to the Bush tax cuts and bailed-out bank CEOs' salaries.

Stewart showed plenty of pundits saying that when it comes to taxing those who make $250,000 a year, you're taxing people who are "not rich" and even "close to poverty" if they have a family of four with kids in college. But when it comes to teachers in Wisconsin, the same pundits say they, as government employees, should expect to see cuts in their ample $50,000 a year salary plus benefits.
In other discussions on Fox News, cuts in teachers' salaries were compared to those of Wall Street executives. Megyn Kelly argued teachers don't deserve as much money because they "don't work as much." Stewart totally understood:
"See the difference? Regardless of the greed-based, almost slightly sociopathic job bankers did wrecking our economy, those people were there every single day, 12 months a year. Not that nine month bullsh*t!"
Stewart took it even further by showing another level of hypocrisy. Clips showed the same people on the network who agreed with the government limiting teachers' benefits also said that limiting the salaries of government bailed-out CEOs would be detrimental to the industry and "isn't a good way of attracting talent in the future."
"Absolutely, we have got to pay those bailed-out firm CEOs top dollar! Otherwise, those companies could wind up being run by a couple of jacka**es who f**k things up so royally, it torpedoes the entire global economy!"

·
6,873 Posts
I like your style..
They just had a special on CHARTER SCHOOLS, and PARENT TRIGGER

WHAT A F0CKIN SCAM...

if you really knew the truth about this joke ass schools...

I am sick and tired of hearing about how these focked up ass GREEN DOT and the like are so great

NO THEY ARE NOT.... THEY ARE A FRICKEN SCAM

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Education starts at home. Wisconsin Teachers around 65k with benies around 90k. I just read some where that oc. Teachers 75-80k and laguna beach teachers 90-95k with out putting benefits in the equation. Good teachers should be rewarded, not all teachers are good, but receive the same pay. Flame on.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I work with teachers every day...some are amazing, some need to find another line of work (and they know it). Our District is pretty much an Inner-City environment...the teachers earn EVERY NICKEL they get just dealing with classroom/student discipline, let alone trying to teach them the basic Cali Standards...:|err

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
What if we returned discipline to the classroom and paid every teacher based upon his/her performance as well as his/her student's performance.

Oh, that's right. Unions are involved. Back to the problem.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What if we returned discipline to the classroom and paid every teacher based upon his/her performance as well as his/her student's performance.

Because you will get teachers telling and giving their kids the answers instead of having them study and earn it so they can get paid and still earn nothing for teaching and baby sitting our future!:mad:

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Because you will get teachers telling and giving their kids the answers instead of having them study and earn it so they can get paid and still earn nothing for teaching and baby sitting our future!:mad:
Wow! I have family who are teachers - two in California and I'm not sure how I could ever bring myself to say such a thing. Testing could be done independent of the teacher's care without much difficulty. Conversely, I guarantee you the classroom teaching would vastly improve across the board if these teachers were paid on a performance based system rather than what some union negotiated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow! I have family who are teachers - two in California and I'm not sure how I could ever bring myself to say such a thing. Testing could be done independent of the teacher's care without much difficulty. Conversely, I guarantee you the classroom teaching would vastly improve across the board if these teachers were paid on a performance based system rather than what some union negotiated.
My girlfriend is a teacher and I understand what you are saying. BUT think of a couple of things, teachers don't get to pick their students so if a teacher gets students who don't care about school and there parents either both work, aren't around the house or don't care about their kids then now there salary is based off of these students? Also what about low income areas where again kids only care about gang bangin or trying to figure out how to get out of class and not do any homework then trying to learn and make sure they get high test scores so there teacher gets a better pay check. Just don't see how this could work fairly across the board. My girl is so dedicated and wants nothing more for her kids to learn but if an 8th grader doesn't want to they don't want to. I could go on and on!

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
Because you will get teachers telling and giving their kids the answers instead of having them study and earn it
I know LAUSD teachers that do this:))ThumbsDwn

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
My girlfriend is a teacher and I understand what you are saying. BUT think of a couple of things, teachers don't get to pick their students so if a teacher gets students who don't care about school and there parents either both work, aren't around the house or don't care about their kids then now there salary is based off of these students? Also what about low income areas where again kids only care about gang bangin or trying to figure out how to get out of class and not do any homework then trying to learn and make sure they get high test scores so there teacher gets a better pay check. Just don't see how this could work fairly across the board. My girl is so dedicated and wants nothing more for her kids to learn but if an 8th grader doesn't want to they don't want to. I could go on and on!

I agree, you can not teach those who do not want to learn :)bulb

It's not the teachers fault

·
"I'm just SPRAYIN' man!!"
618 Posts
Pay for Performance....not seniority.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
I'm far better with paying a teacher $80-$90K per year then I am paying administrators and Superintendents $100-$500K.......Schools today have far too many principles, vice-principles, etc. What in the hell is that about? Put the money in the classroom where it belongs. Far too many of the bad teachers end up as useless administrators.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
I know LAUSD teachers that do this:))ThumbsDwn

Times were a lot different when I went to school as far as kids and attitudes but one thing we did have were some good teachers who back then did it their own way and got the message across.

We had an old guy who had been teaching for 30 years. He taught sceince and agriculture classes for FFA. In his science classes we had a pop quiz daily and a weekly test on Friday. All his tests were open book. You got the test, and then you looked up the answers. Only way you could fail is if you didn't take the test or if you were caught looking at your neighbor's answers.

The way this worked is you had to basically go over the book to find the answer with worded questions that took you to the key parts of the lesson. Lots of kids made fun of the old guy as being so easy, but his method made them read the material that other teachers couldn't get them to do by requiring the student to read the book and then take a test on what they remembered. He basically fooled students into paying attention by thinking they were getting at advantage.

Old "Pop" knew what he was doing and related better to students and got more to learn than most teachers today ever do. Other than the tests, his classes were pretty much a discussion session where he always got the science topic involved. It was amazing in many ways as rowdy/poor students in other classes actively and positively participated in the discussions and enjoyed it.

·
1,512 Posts
Just don't see how this could work fairly across the board. My girl is so dedicated and wants nothing more for her kids to learn but if an 8th grader doesn't want to they don't want to. I could go on and on!
Nice to hear your girl is dedicated. I'm sure she will be successful in her career and with her students.

Life is not fair so trying to interject it simply keeps things from moving forward. There will be teachers working in magnet schools making $100K +and those working in distressed schools making $30K. Its a choice the teacher makes.

·
Just Me
4,066 Posts
We've already covered the flawed math in another thread but some mistakes are made over and over. A teacher teaches approx 30 students per hour for 8 hours a day. That's 240 student hours. When you divide that by the $277.77 a day you proposed, they would make just over a 1.15 per student per hour. You can't find a baby sitter for that rate. Let alone day care where you can drop your kids off and they provide everything for them and they don't tear up your house.

The problem is everyone wants someone else to be the one to give something up. I firmly believe that teachers and gov't employees should not be unionized. Pay raises should be earned not mandated. But it's people that make absurd comments like pay a college educated professional that is responsible for taking care of kids, whom may or may not be a discipline problem, minimum wage that causes the teachers to want to belong to a union. If teachers know anything, they know you can't fix stupid. And sooner or later someone will throw a stupid suggestion and some other stupid fool will like it and try to run with it. If you think it's that easy, run down to the school board and tell them you'll work for minimum wage. Even the janitors that have to clean up after these spoiled brats deserves more than minimum wage. Heck some should be paid combat pay just for putting up with them.

But the same people that complain teachers are over paid are the ones that if the teacher sends home a note or calls and says little Johny isn't doing his homework and is falling behind, tell the teacher that teaching Johny is her job and that's not their problem.

The problem is figuring out a fair wage and from there giving raises based on what has been done to earn a raise. And if someone thinks teachers should be paid minimum wage, post up your job and what you make and we can dissect that and run you down. And while you're posting it all, post what is required of your personal time for your job such as follow on mandatory education, child endangerment/ intervention training, coaching, tutoring and all the other free things teachers do because it is expected and required in many cases.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm far better with paying a teacher $80-$90K per year then I am paying administrators and Superintendents $100-$500K.......Schools today have far too many principles, vice-principles, etc. What in the hell is that about? Put the money in the classroom where it belongs. Far too many of the bad teachers end up as useless administrators.
X2

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts

What about the teachers who are given (illegal) kids to teach that don't speak English? Happens all the time...not just from Mexico.

So now you are a teacher who is going to get paid less because the state mandates teaching kids that have trouble learning?

Oh that's right...closed-minded internet warrors are involved. Back to the problem.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts

AND the merit system don't work either-NOT ON THE CENTRAL COAST ANYWAY-when you
teach in an area where MIGRANT FARM WORKERS(I could use a far better descriptive term)
are thrown into your class for a couple of weeks, and mind you right at the time of standardized testing-and then taken out and moved(because parents work has moved)
really screws up this "merit system" the migrants score very poorly, bring the point average
way down for that certain district-and then they are gone- really screws the poor teachers
and as far as these quotes of 60-90grand a year, my wife is a teacher, and she sure as hell
don't make those numbers(wish she did) because the stress involved is worth way more than she is making-- don't go after the teachers- go after the polititians:|err

1 - 20 of 88 Posts