Performance Boats Forum banner

arneson surface drives

22K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bjf66 
Arenson surface drives

please verify that these are ASD-17-20-001 units. I need one with the hull attachment. FLOYD BELL 636 448 9700

This is a new and never used arneson surface drive the unit can run up to 1000 hp gas motors and 700fp torque so good for gas or diesel... This unit is the same as the asd6 run inline for diesel as sold by arnerson to day... The only part that is needed to make the system work in direct drive is: a propeller, a velt or zf trany and a housing for the thrust ball so the drive can be bolted to the transom an $800 part new & the trim and steer ram both $400 each, I can give you a contact number so you can get parts to finish the systems at my quoted prices.... There are parts for the drives and they are still rebuildable thro twin disk and after market dealers.... I have one more new unit exactly the same for a twin engine set up if the winner need's two drives.. if you add it all up you end up with a new drive system for well below half or retail....

THE PROP WAS ONLY TO GIVE AN IDEA OF FITMENT AND TO SHOW THE EXTRA LONG SHAFT AND IS NOT INCLUDED WITH THE ITEM...

THIS IS FOR WHOLE DRIVE. SHAFT TO SHAFT NO PROP OR TRANSOM HOUSING.... INCLUDED IS THE: "thrust tube assy" WITH PROPELLER SHAFT, THRUST BALL, DRIVE SHAFT....

I WILL SHIP IN THE USA.... I CHARGE EXACT SHIPPING AND GET GOOD FREIGHT PRICES SO WILL BE LESS THEN 150 IN THE USA

Included is an old link where I chat with arneson about how the drives works.... !!!!!READ PAGE TWO!!!!! see how howard arneson ran a gas engine !:! with out a drop box and all his HP got to the water... This set up will not work for all boats in direct drive or with a zf drop gear,,, so do your home work. As far as twin disk go's direct drive will not work on any gas boat,,, no matter if Howard Arneson did run 78mph running 280hp 1:1 in an 18ft boat or not.. if you do have ample engine room, a single engine boat or low dead rise on you twin engine you may be able to run 1:1 or a ZF drop gear in any ratio... With a custom stand off box you can run the drive and gear of you choice on any boat you want... Do not expect to call and ask arneson how to save 20k on your set up, and expect them to tell you how build your boat with there parts that you bought off ebay, they will tell you to spend 23k.. Do some reading or get passed on the water it's up to you....

A side by side test of the 1:1 and 1.5:1

Howard Arneson's 18ft test boat
280hp
1:1 velt
no gear
78mph
16 x14% prop
came on plane 4000rpm
held plane 2400 to 4700rpm

twin disk 18ft test boat
450hp
1:1 velt
drop gear 1.5:1
16 3/4 x 21% prop
88mph
came on plane at 3800
held plane from 2000 to 4700 rpm

both boat had one guys in it..
both boats were 18's
twin disk went 10 mph faster with 200 more hp and a drop gear..
the data looks to me that the drop gear makes the drive lose as much power as a bravo 1.. but you be the judge it your money...

$2500 each

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.