Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/flat-tax.html

Could the flat tax come to California?

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said today that he would like to see such “radical” proposals come out of a commission now studying an overhaul of the state’s tax system. The governor told the editorial board of the Sacramento Bee that he hoped the commission would not be afraid to propose something like “a 15% straight tax.”

“That’s the kind of radical, daring kind of a proposal that I want to see on the table so we can look at it and say, ‘Oh, let’s study this, maybe that is the way to go,’ ” Schwarzenegger said during the discussion, which was webcast.

The current system, based on highly unstable income tax revenue that fluctuates with the economy, “doesn’t work,” Schwarzenegger said.

Advocates of a flat tax, which applies a single tax rate to all income, say it increases compliance with the tax codes because it is so simple and easy to understand. But opponents dislike that it taxes the wealthy at the same rates as the poor.

Steve Forbes and Jerry Brown both pushed for it during their presidential campaigns.

Schwarzenegger said he was concerned that the commission might be too timid in what it suggests and rule things out in advance thinking that either Democrats or Republicans would object.

“I hope and I pray that they don’t think they have to make a political decision,” he said.

–– Michael Rothfeld in Sacramento

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Ca Fun!

http://cbs2.com/local/CHEATERS.CHP.Vehicle.2.1033947.html

Jun 5, 2009 10:13 pm US/Pacific Out-Of-State License Plate Could Be A CHEATERLOS ANGELES (CBS) ― Click to
Out-of-state drivers are bilking the state of California of millions of dollars a year, but honest Californians can change that.

The California Highway Patrol is encouraging resident drivers to report out-of-state plates. The new program, CHEATERS, stands for Californians Help Eliminate All the Evasive Registration Scofflaws.

Vehicle owners have 20 days to register their vehicle in California after establishing residency. But thousands of drivers skip the whole process because registering a car in California can cost up to $280, compared to $250 for Nevada residents, for a 4- or 5-year-old car.

To report a CHEATER, the state and license plate number must be included, as well as the make, model and color of the vehicle, plus the date, time and location where the vehicle was observed.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
15%? RIGHT!

How about getting rid of some government workers & renegotiating a few union contracts. That will free up plenty of cash for them to give away to the illegals and welfare cases.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Jun 5, 2009 10:13 pm US/Pacific Out-Of-State License Plate Could Be A CHEATERLOS ANGELES (CBS) ― Click to
Out-of-state drivers are bilking the state of California of millions of dollars a year, but honest Californians can change that.

The California Highway Patrol is encouraging resident drivers to report out-of-state plates. The new program, CHEATERS, stands for Californians Help Eliminate All the Evasive Registration Scofflaws.

Vehicle owners have 20 days to register their vehicle in California after establishing residency. But thousands of drivers skip the whole process because registering a car in California can cost up to $280, compared to $250 for Nevada residents, for a 4- or 5-year-old car.

To report a CHEATER, the state and license plate number must be included, as well as the make, model and color of the vehicle, plus the date, time and location where the vehicle was observed.
Now that is something I can get behind. If I have to pay, so should everyone else.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Didnt he promise many years ago that he would NOT raise taxes. Another focking POS lying politician.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
There was a recent interview of him saying that(paraphrasing)he only said that to get elected.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
The only way to get out of the deficit is to stop giving away government cheese to illegal immigrants. No more free education, medical care, welfare, etc...and just because you enter the country illegally and have 10 kids that does not mean they are U.S. citizens. If it all stopped, the illegals would go home. The prison system would be 50% less crowded so no more early parole, gangs would have less members, money could be used in much more efficient ways to build our states economy.

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
The only way to get out of the deficit is to stop giving away government cheese to illegal immigrants. No more free education, medical care, welfare, etc...and just because you enter the country illegally and have 10 kids that does not mean they are U.S. citizens. If it all stopped, the illegals would go home. The prison system would be 50% less crowded so no more early parole, gangs would have less members, money could be used in much more efficient ways to build our states economy.
Not only illegals but everyone else in this state suckin off the golden tit. The tit is dry no more milk. If you dont pay into the system u dont get shit bottom line. Take this to a vote they want us to vote on raising taxes why dont they take cutting welfare to a vote. E4L for Govenor:)devil

·
Registered
620 Posts
I lost 10% in wages all ready ( State Stationary Engineer at Corcoran State prison, home to charlie manson, sirhan sirhan, juan corona the serial killer, also the guy that killed Bill Cosbys son).
Anyway, now arnie wants another 5% of my wages.:|err A 15% pay cut kinda hurts the old piggy bank. To see all the services that our tax dollars pay for all these incarcerated loosers is ridiculous.:)coffee

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
If I didn't have my whole family living in Southern CA (most of them within 15 miles) I would get the fock out of here. Here's an idea, let's terminate the terminator! :)devil

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
we could save alot of money by eliminating "company cars" on the government, police, county, and city level. Why do police need to take motorcycles home? and squad cars? I have a neighbor that drives home a LACSD squad car and has his kids in it on a regular basis. I live in San Bernardino County. Makes no sense. Why cant these peeps drive to work like the rest of us and get there work cars to do their job? I do.

·
Registered
378 Posts
we could save alot of money by eliminating "company cars" on the government, police, county, and city level. Why do police need to take motorcycles home? and squad cars? I have a neighbor that drives home a LACSD squad car and has his kids in it on a regular basis. I live in San Bernardino County. Makes no sense. Why cant these peeps drive to work like the rest of us and get there work cars to do their job? I do.
I've seen a Caltrans truck at the lake on several occasions towing a personal boat. wonder who is paying for the gas.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It might work but it may be just milking the gorilla on a different nipple.

Why is it that we don't hold officials and politicians to running the government as effectively as a top company like, say Fed Ex or Honeywell?

"I'm sorry, your focking up and your dept and processes are all fock up. You're fired. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just One State
This is only one State..................If this doesn't open your eyes nothing will !

From the L. A. Times (NOT EXACTLY A BASTION OF CONSERVATIVENESS)
1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County ( L. A. County has 10.2 million people)are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border...
8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.
10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County )

(All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.. Over 70% of the United States ' annual population growth (and over 90% of California , Florida , and New York ) results from immigration. 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Why does it seem that no politician stands up trying to make illegal immigarnts, well ILLEGAL and kicked out of the country? Probably because there are more of them in the state then there are LEGAL working people. It's interesting how they (the politicians) are for cutting the education fund, but don't seem to do much about the Illegals.

So let's re-cap:

Cut the education fund for those who are legal TAX-PAYING citizens and give more benefits to the illegals?

Good job guys (politicians).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I get this post card from board of equalization friday about tax changes in
LA county, i am in San Diego so everyone in out of LA county gets this
post card what was the postage bill on that brillant move by some dumb
ass

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
BINGo

Should take a picture enxt time and send to the Fox News.

I've seen a Caltrans truck at the lake on several occasions towing a personal boat. wonder who is paying for the gas.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts

As I said, "big brother" is not the government, it's your neighbor. The government is relying on us to turn each other in.

If we have a 15% flat tax, does that mean they will eliminate the sales tax? Otherwise, the true taxes paid will be higher than 15%. (It's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer :)st )

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Why does it seem that no politician stands up trying to make illegal immigarnts, well ILLEGAL and kicked out of the country? Probably because there are more of them in the state then there are LEGAL working people. It's interesting how they (the politicians) are for cutting the education fund, but don't seem to do much about the Illegals.

So let's re-cap:

Cut the education fund for those who are legal TAX-PAYING citizens and give more benefits to the illegals?

Good job guys (politicians).
Exactly. Makes me crazy! :)sphss

1 - 20 of 27 Posts