Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it had to happen eventually, my company is sending me to Juarez for a week. I'm staying in El Paso and have to cross each day. So, how bad is it? What's the border crossing wait? Should I join a gang and buy some drugs? :)sphss

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
ouch does your company not like you??

·
Ex-Californian
437 Posts
Keep an open mind and you'll be fine..I like El Paso but thats just me..I have no problems staying there..El Paso is the half way mark for when I go to and from California...

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
The crossing is not to bad. It depends on if your walking or driving. If your driving, make sure to purchase the insurance for your vehicle. Mondays and Fridays can be very busy. Theres another port of entry on the backside of El Paso if the main crossing gets to busy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
"Juarez is one of the most dangerous places on earth: Mexico's most powerful drug cartels use it as a beach head for their crack and cocaine pipelines into America."

-excerpt from article below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/442618.stm

You better get some life insurance and affairs in order! I would not go there even if I got paid. Not even Hazard pay... You just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...it's all over..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Juárez

Check out the stats on their MURDER rate. It is 3 times as bad as the worst city in America (New Orleans) for murders..

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As stated, be very careful. Crime has exploded there in the last 5 years. Stay on your toes, and do not relax your guard.

Darrell.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
What do you do that requires travel to Juarez?

As stated in previous posts its and incredibly dangerous place to be these days.

·
Brian's Tire Pros
32 Posts
they are killing 10+ people there everyday. men women children. i have dealers there (el Paso) that will not ever go to juarez again! be careful.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Local Here

Ok. I am a local. El Paso is great. Get ready to eat some mean ass mexican food because it just dosn't get any better. If you are staying down town make your company buy you some dinner at Cafe Central. It is El Paso's version of elegant dinning. The cream of chili soup is pretty damn good.
Now for J town. Is your company providing transortation to your manufacturing plant? Most companies use transport companies that specialize in keeping you safe. I would highly recommend using one of these companies. I am not sure where you are going over there but walking is out of the question regardless of distance. To much crazy stuff going on over there. Bridge wait times have gotten better but you can still count on waiting an hour if driving back to the US around quiting time. Bring your passport or they will not let you back in. If you have any questions drop me a PM.

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I work for a global automotive supplier and we have a plant right at the border. I'm told it's right off of Highway 45 a few miles from the crossing. No trip through any neighborhoods. I'm staying at a hotel right near the airport, then driving a rental car across and back each day. My company gives a copy of their rental insurance policy for Mexico. My plan is to cross over as early in the day as possible and leave before 5:00. There will be other people from Germany in town also so we might hook up and go together. I'm not too worried, I survived 2 months in Hermosillo, Sonora. All in all I prefer to be stuck in Montreal or Toronto, oh well.
DJ

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I work for a global automotive supplier and we have a plant right at the border. I'm told it's right off of Highway 45 a few miles from the crossing. No trip through any neighborhoods. I'm staying at a hotel right near the airport, then driving a rental car across and back each day. My company gives a copy of their rental insurance policy for Mexico. My plan is to cross over as early in the day as possible and leave before 5:00. There will be other people from Germany in town also so we might hook up and go together. I'm not too worried, I survived 2 months in Hermosillo, Sonora. All in all I prefer to be stuck in Montreal or Toronto, oh well.
DJ
Paint a target on the rental car, they look for them at the border cities, with the present climate for relieving large companies of money in exchange for employees, I would insist the company supply you with transportation....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Paint a target on the rental car, they look for them at the border cities, with the present climate for relieving large companies of money in exchange for employees, I would insist the company supply you with transportation....
that's some sound advice right there.

No way would I go down there driving a rental car. Nope, no way.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I went through El Paso for the first time this past week, at night... I told my friend I didn't know El Paso was so huge... He said that was Juarez I was looking at. At one point from the highway, I think you could have thrown a rock and hit one of their houses.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I went through El Paso for the first time this past week, at night... I told my friend I didn't know El Paso was so huge... He said that was Juarez I was looking at. At one point from the highway, I think you could have thrown a rock and hit one of their houses.
If you threw a rock, you would hit ten houses!!

·
The King
1,107 Posts
I've been crossing the border my whole life, so I am not as "gun shy" as most folks. I like their culture, food, women and speak some spanish, so I seem to get along O.K., as I can blend in (as well as any big ol' ****** can).

Having said that, I don't dig the rental car idea. Get a transportation company that was suggested earlier. The roads/streets down there are just different and if you make one wrong turn, you're screwed.

Kidnappings of foriegn business men are real, although rare. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

The violence is what it is, but it is primarily focused between the drug cartels, so unless you get caught in the wrong place when bullets are flying, you'll be alright.

Lastly, Mexicans (as a whole) don't do mornings. Get there early and get out early if you can. Trying to get back across the border at 5:00p is crazy. My schedule would be closer to 6a- 2p. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts