Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had DSL for years and although slow it at least worked 2 weeks back was "sold" the upgraded "fiber optics" version call Uverse now having continual problems ........

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had DSL for years and although slow it at least worked 2 weeks back was "sold" the upgraded "fiber optics" version call Uverse now having continual problems ........
I'm having the same problem as you. The line seems to drop in and out all the time. Looking at doing a change soon, but I hate to go thru the email name change bs

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I'm having the same problem as you. The line seems to drop in and out all the time. Looking at doing a change soon, but I hate to go thru the email name change bs
Change it now. But make it through a company other than a service provider. Gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. If you have or intend to own an Android smart phone, gmail would be the way to go. Not sure how iphone's are optimized. Anyway, after I lost a lot of contact info through AOL (YEARS ago), I switched to yahoo and have never had to change.

As far as Uverse... Family members have had the same issues. Not sure what route they took to fix the problem, however I remember they had tech's out to the house 5+ times, and they tried to blame it on the home wiring... wasn't the case. Don't buy into that excuse. Sounds like a scam to me. "The signal test's fine up to the house, I guess we need to rewire your house."

Good luck!
-Seth-

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Inside info I gained last week from THE MAN in their infrastructure group is that they are trippling down on the whole program...

As for wiring your house? It should be fiber right to your demarcation point inside your house??? What is to REwire???

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
we have it phone,computer,tv... 1 yr now no complaints

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inside info I gained last week from THE MAN in their infrastructure group is that they are trippling down on the whole program...

As for wiring your house? It should be fiber right to your demarcation point inside your house??? What is to REwire???
Thats the "RUB" 2mm I told them going in that there was NO modern wire, or fiber acroos to my property , the original "build" for cable and Telephone I built (contracted and paid) 30+ years back was 2000 ft my house, House is a 1000 fet from the nearest road. Sales lady when ask said they would build this F/O during install , last friday came a plug and play router ONLY :no:

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts

Exactly my point. TV, internet, and phone would go out at the same time, and the tech guy said it was the house wiring. I told them BS.

Either the guy couldn't figure it out, it was a scripted response to steer customers away from keeping AT&T responsible for lack of reliable service, or he was trying to drum up some extra "service" business... like mechanics have been known to do.

In any case, the house wiring was fine. The problem was elsewhere.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Unless you're in a fairly new development they have issues getting strong signals to all areas. I live in a 40+ year old house and even though they say the area is upgraded I don't know anyone in the hood that subscribes to it. Anyone who did try it gave it up because of issues.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Unless you're in a fairly new development they have issues getting strong signals to all areas. I live in a 40+ year old house and even though they say the area is upgraded I don't know anyone in the hood that subscribes to it. Anyone who did try it gave it up because of issues.
AT&T sucks and will continue to, I'd NEVER use them for ANYTHING...:)hammers

Our area is Charter; when they converted to Fiber Optic some years ago, they ran a new line from the street up the driveway, pulled Cat 6 throughout the entire house, all on their dime...:))THumbsUp But we got tired of their bad equipment, pixelated broadcasts and higher costs, and went with DTV a few years ago. Still use them for Internet...

The MONEY we spend monthly for DATA is amazing...:)bit

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

3:30 got automated call saying an ATT technician had visited my home (after last nites service request) and all was working fine !

7:00 PM arrived home fired up the home computers and Viola ! its "Fubared".... called "Christie" (in India) who placates me with profuse appologies and assures me that if I set home tommorow (8 am to 8 pm) and wait.... a SENIOR tech will be out to repair this permanently :shock:

I reboot the router and I'm on ..... they just dont get it !

·
Registered
441 Posts
At&t is not good. multiple phone numbers for each billing issue. Bills went up 100 percent without notification and no service change.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Gotta agree on AT&T sucking !!!!! I Just had to switch to Uverse and so far I like it. I haven't had any problems and it's alot faster than my DSL I had.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tom, Ask your "senior" technician what is the light reading on the fiber? shouldn't be any higher then -14 DBM. Fiber is usually very reliable. Its the equipment plugged into it that causes problems. Fiber requires a power source which dubs as a battery back-up. When they go bad they can think there running on DC power and kill the Ethernet link. A reboot will clear the issue temperately. Thats How there designed to save Battery power in case of extended power outage. Yes, quality of In house wire plays a huge part. You want a direct connection to your router from the fiber card. And nicks, cuts, tears, taps, or even a corroded jack inline will drastically decrease speed even connectivity. If your close enuf to your fiber card plug your router directly into the card that will eliminate all inside wire for test purposes. Hope this helps and No I dont work for AT&T. -Ben

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom, Ask your "senior" technician what is the light reading on the fiber? shouldn't be any higher then -14 DBM. Fiber is usually very reliable. Its the equipment plugged into it that causes problems. Fiber requires a power source which dubs as a battery back-up. When they go bad they can think there running on DC power and kill the Ethernet link. A reboot will clear the issue temperately. Thats How there designed to save Battery power in case of extended power outage. Yes, quality of In house wire plays a huge part. You want a direct connection to your router from the fiber card. And nicks, cuts, tears, taps, or even a corroded jack inline will drastically decrease speed even connectivity. If your close enuf to your fiber card plug your router directly into the card that will eliminate all inside wire for test purposes. Hope this helps and No I dont work for AT&T. -Ben
Hey Ben good to hear from you , Heres the deal re the "fiber card" ;) I'm somewhat clueless on whats here (F/O or wire wize) but NOTHING on my property or the 2000 feet of phone wire (to the street) (I granted them an easment years ago) has changed at my house or on my property in close to 30 years the ONLY change made from my DSL to this Uverse is the new router they supplied last week its using the same jacks and wires ...... when ordered they suggested or alluded (at my query) that they would survey and re- string this but no one came this was a self install ,the router just "showed up" Tom

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Ben good to hear from you , Heres the deal re the "fiber card" ;) I'm somewhat clueless on whats here (F/O or wire wize) but NOTHING on my property or the 2000 feet of phone wire (to the street) (I granted them an easment years ago) has changed at my house or on my property in close to 30 years the ONLY change made from my DSL to this Uverse is the new router they supplied last week its using the same jacks and wires ...... when ordered they suggested or alluded (at my query) that they would survey and re- string this but no one came this was a self install ,the router just "showed up" Tom
Heres a Fiber card.If you dont have one of these. you dont have fiber.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/..._7HOIFMJC8Sz0I9lEGl-AbDGM-JJjiIVLEzQua8--lK-Q

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update !!

Yesterday was a series of calls from India as well as the "office of the president" a nice Technician switched out the router and Viola ! it worked (for a day) this morning is like Ground Hog day HOWEVER I did find out that Uverse is NOT nessesarily a Fiber Optic system as it was sold but in case like mine (older build areas) its a "patch" to a fiber system a few miles away so I have a "soup can and string" attached to a phone line ..........

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Good luck Tom, I couldn't get rid of u-verse fast enough! I even had the higher speed it still sucked the router is a "Big" pos..:happy:
Iwas like you calling all the time.....and frankly, I was sick of *********! lol

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
3:30 got automated call saying an ATT technician had visited my home (after last nites service request) and all was working fine !

7:00 PM arrived home fired up the home computers and Viola ! its "Fubared".... called "Christie" (in India) who placates me with profuse appologies and assures me that if I set home tommorow (8 am to 8 pm) and wait.... a SENIOR tech will be out to repair this permanently :shock:

I reboot the router and I'm on ..... they just dont get it !

ah man you could of got 3 months of free movies if you asked for any inconvienence

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fwiw update !

Finally after 3 weeks of BS 50 calls and a continuous battle with the phone company they relented and shut down my god awfull "fiber optic" Uverse connection , and grudgingly restored my original crappy (but nonetheless functional) DSL (a whopping 1.45 MBPS ) while doing this (negotiations) we also simultaneously opted to have Cable Internet brought in, Charter cable ran lines to property and home and installed in less than 48 hrs from request and my Cable internet yeilds 31.5 MBPS download almost 20 times faster for less $$ NEVER again with the phone company .....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts