Performance Boats Forum banner

Attention all IRF members

6K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  steveo143 
#1 ·
#21 · (Edited)
I'd like to invite the owner of this boat to join the IRF. Just to mix it up a little more 'n shit.

Jet, turbo (turbine), v-drive, and out drive (surface drive) all in one. He covered all the bases, I think.

Perhaps it could use a larger diameter prop??? :))eek:)) :)sphss

#23 · (Edited)
I saw that turbine boat a few times at Firebird.

When I met Henry Morris in June I asked him many questions about turbines and learned a lot.

He has made the small turbine in his 19 Daytona work real well using the reverse bucket to hold the boat in place while he spools the turbine up. Seems like it takes about 10 seconds spool up time.

So an IRF member must include anyone who can think outside the box then ?
Well I guess that's me then ..........

So what do you call those that are so stuck in their ways that they CAN'T think outside the box, still do everything the same as they did in the 1970's and resist the thought of any change at all even if it could produce some positive results ?

Holy shit I hope I never degrade to that.

#34 ·
Twist twist twist bob until it suits your arguement.i dont give a flying fuck what you think about my engine my boat or me.i drive my boat at least once a wk lately to 100 whens the last time you have? Maybe its time to get behind the wheel and burn some aggression out that way, thats what i do ;) fucking dyno vids, your lame and your shit attitude is gtn old.go drive your boat, fuck your ole lady, change your depends, clean your dentures and eat shit oldman im goin to bed and beat up my hot young gf's puss while you jerk it to how cool you are ;)

#35 ·
I pretty much knew a dyno vid without a turbo and some big ass bullshit numbers wouldN'T impress you. It what makes us different people. You buy into the bullshit, I buy into the PROVEN results on the water

#42 ·
I like a good shit talking thread as much as the next guy, but it takes all the fun out of it when you guys take it all personal 'n shit.

Small penis accusations is all in good fun, involving another members wife in such a tone is going to far IMO. :|err

#45 ·
Dont consider your post trash talk.you steven have my respect due to how you treat others and i honestly think youre very sharp and full of valueable wisdom.gn started this thread and started calling us fucking morons later in it and we both know where thatd lead if he done it in person.no diff than callng him a needledick and continueing to push a button.both would lead to somebody eating teeth in the real world.fuck him i have not respect for his sort regardless of what he knows or done.

Id love to see some of you guys this summer which is why we re heading to bb laborday wknd.wld like to see some certain guys i enjoy being around and of course backup some shit talkn.got 5gals of methanol this mornin and gna run more boost than i ever have to the ls jus to see how itll hang that wknd.be a pal and send me a 10 tuned boat to run against aftr we settle in there that sunday.i know theyll be plenty pics takin for your site and if i get smoked it helps to know by how much and if i dont id wanna see that pic too of course;) that 10 for 10k thread got me curious if we can beat a 10 boat racing on bb from dig.

#49 ·
who tried the first twin screw under a tfh??? any guesses??? another fact; the viability had to be proven, and jim faulkerson did that with one pass. the second fact is, patton/Anderson had been building there's from a year before that. it was duane and mike patton's dominance ON A TRACK that proved the viability and performance advantage.

Not a guess, a fact, Bill Harrison of Hemi Engineering ran his own design twin screw TFH back in the late 70's or early 80's.

#52 ·
The first twin screw hydro I believe was Warren Russell's boat. The whole setup was indeed built by Bill Harrison. I thought that it was in the early to mid 70s at the latest. I might be way wrong on the time line. Your memory might be better than mine.

Bill told me that the reason that they abandoned the twin screw setup was because the boat would not turn. Remember they used to leg it down to the holding rope in the old days. They also used to kind of try and drive them towards the trailer, at least at Long Beach.

Bills own boat "Der Fuhrer " (sp) or the Hemi Engineering Special ran a 2 speed trans that Bill built himself. It was a single prop boat, that was ran a few years after the twin screw experiment.

Why can I remember this stuff from 40 years ago, but I can't remember what I had for lunch?.............Skip

#54 ·
Turbo cars were completely dominant until the NHRA made them reduce the turbo size so the other cars could compete. What Garlits did for the rear engine cars that made them drivable was slow the steering down. I was standing behind the starting line at Lions and watched Pat Foster take a nasty crash taking out the win light.

You are correct about Garlits having the first successful rear engine car, but he had a lot of knowledge from other peoples attempts and misfortunes.

The Fuel classes are pretty boring now days because the NHRA tells you exactly what parts you can run, so everyone has the same thing. The guy with the best clutch setup wins, unless he is sleeping at the lights.......Skip
the point was, just because someone comes up with an "idea", it doesn't mean everyone under the sun is going to junk what they've been doing and climb aboard the idea train, as though it solves world hunger. -someone- really has to spend the time and effort to demonstrate that a change of that magnitude is a "real" performance improvement ON A TRACK, not just a pipedream.
there is very very little that is truly "new". most all of this stuff goes back 50, 60, 70, 80 years. compared to v-drives, jet boats are "new". the only thing that does occur is refinement, and evolution. it wasn't all that long ago that a boat had to be an all out race boat to reach 100mph. now they're all over the place.
nhra has limits on everything. doesn't matter if it's turbo's, screw/roots-mfi, nos. if it's not limited, there's no show. just a bunch of blown up carnage to gather up and throw away. it's all about the show. and that's no different than boats. the "stars" of dragboat tv shows are the promods, because they look like race boats and they have close races pretty much every lap. even though people show up at tracks to watch the tfh's. tfh and taf put on a good show too, but they like the close racing for tv shows. same reason nhra has controlled the cars. I remember watching nhra attempts at tv shows 25-30 years ago, and it was terrible with every other car burning down or blowing up. didn't last because there really wasn't much in the way of "racing".

the thing was, when Harrison was doing that, fuel engines weren't really making 7000-8000hp. after patton put down several 240mph passes well under 5 seconds (1/4), the writing was on the wall. there have been a couple of guys really try to make the twin deal work in tah, but the power just isn't there. dement/ermshar tried it in taf, but couldn't get it to work as well as a single.

#53 ·
Turbo cars were completely dominant until the NHRA made them reduce the turbo size so the other cars could compete. What Garlits did for the rear engine cars that made them drivable was slow the steering down. I was standing behind the starting line at Lions and watched Pat Foster take a nasty crash taking out the win light.

You are correct about Garlits having the first successful rear engine car, but he had a lot of knowledge from other peoples attempts and misfortunes.

The Fuel classes are pretty boring now days because the NHRA tells you exactly what parts you can run, so everyone has the same thing. The guy with the best clutch setup wins, unless he is sleeping at the lights.......Skip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.