Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not probably the right place to post this, but no response in the Audio section yet.

I am a JL guy and yes, I would like to stick with JL, but the price is whats got me thinking.
I am installing (8) JL 770’s 4ohms 100RMS and leaving (4) MB Quart 4ohms 100RMS that are currently installed. Total of 12 speakers.

JL audio support recommends that I use (2) HD 600/4 (150 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm. Price for (2) of these is $1000-$1200.

I went to local audio store and was suggested I use (1) PDX 4.150 (Per channel into 4 ohms : 150W x 4). Internet price $425.00

What has the experience been with the PDX 4.150? Does it hold up to extreme heated outside temps?
Is this one amp going to make this system rock?

Thanks

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I know this is not probably the right place to post this, but no response in the Audio section yet.

I am a JL guy and yes, I would like to stick with JL, but the price is whats got me thinking.
I am installing (8) JL 770’s 4ohms 100RMS and leaving (4) MB Quart 4ohms 100RMS that are currently installed. Total of 12 speakers.

JL audio support recommends that I use (2) HD 600/4 (150 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm. Price for (2) of these is $1000-$1200.

I went to local audio store and was suggested I use (1) PDX 4.150 (Per channel into 4 ohms : 150W x 4). Internet price $425.00

What has the experience been with the PDX 4.150? Does it hold up to extreme heated outside temps?

Thanks
The PDX is an amazing amp. The JL is a little more refined and powerful IMO. You still won't go wrong with the PDX.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
I like the PDX line however have no experance with them. Keep us Informed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Pick yourself up some old Orion HCCAs like I did you'll be real happy.I just bought 2 Orion HCCA 250r.2x50 at 4 ohm.But at 1 ohm 2x200 and at .5 ohm 2x400:D.Class A/B amps and unregulated power supply.Just installed this past weekend.MADE IN THE USA.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Pick yourself up some old Orion HCCAs like I did you'll be real happy.I just bought 2 Orion HCCA 250r.2x50 at 4 ohm.But at 1 ohm 2x200 and at .5 ohm 2x400:D.Class A/B amps and unregulated power supply.Just installed this past weekend.MADE IN THE USA.
:)devil:)devil I love those amps.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I bought them on Ebay.1998 and they sound and work great.I'll be giving them a good test at Parker this weekend.:|err
20 years ago........... you could run four twelves at half an ohm off one of those things and they would pound. I broke a lot of them, lol. Orion used to be right here in Tempe. I would break them on the weekend, take them in Monday and have them back by the next weekend to go cruise Central again. :)devil:)devil Oh the good old mini-truck days.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Thanks
I have a pdx 1.1000 pushin two mb quart 12's, and a pdx 4.150 pushing four mb quart 5.25's and two mb quart 6x9's and it plays loud and clear. I have had them in the boat for a season and a half and they play all day loudly, and have never shut off on me. The amps are tucked away between the side panel and side of the boat so they get no air circulation either. They are all in a 21 foot closed bow ultra by the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response. Looks like the PDX is holding up.
I do question whether the one PDX 4.150 will power 10-12 speakers all day long.
I am thinking maybe I should play is safe and get (2) of them. Anyone with knowledge on how many 4ohm 100RMS speakers this amp will power?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You would probably be better off with 2 of them. I wouldn't want to add any more to mine and I run 6 off of it.

·
Slow Learner
909 Posts
My boat originally had a JL 1000 and & a 600. I had to warranty three of the 600's and ultimately swapped it out for a pdx, everything has been fine since then, The 1000 has been great though.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
I was in the same dilema. Just replace my Audisons with (2) JL600/4s and a 750/1. I bridged the output on each 600 so I'm getting 300/pair of speakers. So far, real happy with them! Of course everyone says good things about the PDXs too.

I went with the JLs because they had a marine version and I was sick and tired of my Audison's crapping out from the "marine" environment. Who would have thought they wouldn't work under water :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts