Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't been on here in a while but I can't believe nobody has posted anything about Augusta :shhh:

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was referring to the fuckin the "FILLER BOATS" got ..

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This made the Sunday paper

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Shortened qualifying session ruffles feathers at Augusta Southern Nationals By Justin Williams
Correspondent

CHRIS THELEN/STAFF
Andy Reynolds (left), in Running With Scissors, speeds down the river during a Top Alcohol Hydro qualifier. Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series officials canceled some qualifying drawing the ire of drivers.
1 more photos >>

2 comments »Latest by itsanotherday1 4 days 3 hours ago

An abbreviated qualifying schedule Saturday at the 29th running of the Augusta Southern Nationals did not stop Scott Lumbert from potentially making Top Fuel Hydro class history on the Savannah River.
It did, however, cause a number of drivers to voice their displeasure with officials from the Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series, which has headed up the event since 2010.
The second qualifying run was canceled for several classifications, though the top professional classifications were not affected.
Series director Ken Dollar noted that qualification was set to begin about 8:45 a.m., but it was pushed back until after 10. He said the Stevens Creek power generating station, which does not run during the day to accommodate the event, had to run overnight Friday. That raised the water level a few feet and moved buoys and timing devices, forcing officials to reset the course.
Dollar said that the late start, combined with “a couple of people having to go to the emergency medical station,” forced qualification to be cut short.
“We weren’t going to keep these people, including these volunteers, out here ‘til 6:30 in this heat,” he said.
Event chairman Dayton Sherrouse said that he heard numerous complaints from drivers.
“I talked to them after the fact … they were talking about not reporting (for today’s races),” he said. “I told them that they were making a statement against Lucas (officials), but that hurts us and the spectators in Augusta. They bought tickets, and they’re expecting a show.
“They don’t want to hurt us because their issue is not with us.”
Sherrouse said that today’s elimination rounds, which runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., will not be affected, aside from potential changes in qualifying position.
He believes the conditions were not a reason for cutting qualifying short.
“We checked with the medical team, and there were only six cases of heat issues,” Sherrouse said. “That is really small, given the number of people that were there. It’s a real low number, and none of them had to be put on IV. … Heat was really a non-issue.”
As for the spat between drivers and Lucas officials, Sherrouse said that his group did not know about the issues until after the fact.
“Lucas needs to do a better job with us to let us now what’s going on,” he noted.
Lumbert, driving Spirit of Texas for owner David Kirkland, had a run of 267.38 mph Saturday, threatening the event record of 252 mph. Now, he must back up that run with another run that falls within 1 percent of that total – roughly 264 and 270 – to set a new Augusta Southern Nationals record.
In April, Lumbert set the overall series speed record, with a run of 263.25 mph.
Lumbert doesn’t care as much about the record as he does about winning the event, something he has never accomplished.
His father, Ray Lumbert, and Kirkland have both won the event a handful of times, either as driver or crew member. Though Scott Lumbert has come close, victory has eluded his grasp.
“I’ve been coming here since I was a kid, 20-plus years, and racing with my dad,” said Lumbert, who along with Kirkland won the 2014 series title and leads this year’s race by a landslide. “My dad’s won it, David’s won it. I’ve been in five of six finals here and have yet to win.
“If this ends up being my first big win here, it would be huge for me.”
A total of 75 boats are competing in this year’s event. That number includes six from the Top Fuel Hydro, considered the top division.
Gates open at 8 a.m. today. One-day tickets cost $18, and children 10 and younger are free with an adult. Proceeds benefit the Augusta chapter of the Special Olympics.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I always joked when we were racing why couldnt they have Augusta in Sept or so when it wasnt so miserably hot. That mid July is killer,

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
so what was the fuckin?????
We paid for T&T on friday, the second pass they decided to call one of our qualifying passes. Then Sat. morning they announced that we would get 3 qualifying runs in, I just chuckled. We got one, while all the capsule boats got more. Then they "called it" because of weather---- it was too hot. If you were one of the unlucky ones that couldnt show up till Sat morning, you just got 1 pass before competition. For what it cost us to get through the gate $$$ we expected a few more passes. They call this thing the "worlds richest dragboat race" , what I think they mean is you have to be rich to afford to run it. :))ThumbsDwn

My annual SDBA membership was out so I had to join Lucas-$400
They said the boat-owner had to belong to Lucas-$300
T&T- $100
Entry Fee- cant remember?
Not sure what else they threw in there, but we peeled off $1075 just to get in there.

On friday they told us to be there @ 8am to start T&T, we were on the ramp 5 min till 8, they couldnt get the freakin paramedics on site and start passes till 10:30, we got 1 pass in, then @ noon they said they were starting qualifying. Its not like this is their first freakin race, pretty sure that this crap shouldnt be happening. At the drivers meeting they kept changing from one excuse to another. Very unprofessional. We asked for a safety pass Sat. morning and was denied.
Some of the drivers were in their boats- suited up for over an hr & a half, one told me he was in there 2 hrs.
Drivers meeting got pretty heated up, guy from Lucas doing the meeting got smart and said "meeting is over, if you wanna race show up, if not see ya later".
I quit drag racing on asphalt because the organizations had gotten too big and treated us like crap, hate to see it happen on the water.
With all that said, last yr when I went to my first SDBA race I was amazed at how nice everyone was, nothing like this BS. We were treated wonderfully by EVERYONE @ the sdba race. Huge difference here.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
We paid for T&T on friday, the second pass they decided to call one of our qualifying passes. Then Sat. morning they announced that we would get 3 qualifying runs in, I just chuckled. We got one, while all the capsule boats got more. Then they "called it" because of weather---- it was too hot. If you were one of the unlucky ones that couldnt show up till Sat morning, you just got 1 pass before competition. For what it cost us to get through the gate $$$ we expected a few more passes. They call this thing the "worlds richest dragboat race" , what I think they mean is you have to be rich to afford to run it. :))ThumbsDwn

My annual SDBA membership was out so I had to join Lucas-$400
They said the boat-owner had to belong to Lucas-$300
T&T- $100
Entry Fee- cant remember?
Not sure what else they threw in there, but we peeled off $1075 just to get in there.

On friday they told us to be there @ 8am to start T&T, we were on the ramp 5 min till 8, they couldnt get the freakin paramedics on site and start passes till 10:30, we got 1 pass in, then @ noon they said they were starting qualifying. Its not like this is their first freakin race, pretty sure that this crap shouldnt be happening. At the drivers meeting they kept changing from one excuse to another. Very unprofessional. We asked for a safety pass Sat. morning and was denied.
Some of the drivers were in thier boats- suited up for over an hr & a half, one told me he was in there 2 hrs.
Drivers meeting got pretty heated up, guy from Lucas doing the meeting got smart and said "meeting is over, if you wanna race show up, if not see ya later".
I quit drag racing on asphalt because the organizations had gotten to big and treated us like crap, hate to see it happen on the water.
With all that said, last yr when I went to my first SDBA race I was amazed at how nice everyone was, nothing like this BS. We were treated wonderfully by EVERYONE @ the sdba race. Huge difference here.
they have been doing the 1st qualifying run Friday afternoon all year, even back to last year. but one round on Saturday is ridiculous. especially considering there were only 85 boats there, counting 20 jet skis. what was the hold up? I have no issue with capsules getting 2 or 3 passes, but it is nonsensical to restrict the sportsmen classes to 1. all they have to do is get 'em on the rope.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
they have been doing the 1st qualifying run Friday afternoon all year, even back to last year. but one round on Saturday is ridiculous. especially considering there were only 85 boats there, counting 20 jet skis. what was the hold up? I have no issue with capsules getting 2 or 3 passes, but it is nonsensical to restrict the sportsmen classes to 1. all they have to do is get 'em on the rope.
They just said to hot. It was BS!
They argued about it long enough @ the drivers meeting that we could have got the passes in.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You get hot ones-you get cold ones-you get rain and hot-and you get winds at 20 mph direct and they used to send out the "filler boat) yeah we are fillers for someone who doesn't care that the money spent by us is more than the money spent by the teams that show up with the semis and twenty helpers -sorry rant over carry on

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Being my first time to Augusta we found the track had it's own personality right lane verse's left lane. Having to deal with the current in the right lane. That being said for all of the years they have had races there you would have thought the city of Augusta would invest the money and install a launch ramp at the starting line. We had to get towed to the starting line and each time that happened it would take atleast a 1/2 hr to get the boats down to the rope and get them ready to run. If a ramp were installed all of these problems would disappear and more time would be available for test and tune and qualifying.

·
Registered
680 Posts
In Ramp

Being my first time to Augusta we found the track had it's own personality right lane verse's left lane. Having to deal with the current in the right lane. That being said for all of the years they have had races there you would have thought the city of Augusta would invest the money and install a launch ramp at the starting line. We had to get towed to the starting line and each time that happened it would take atleast a 1/2 hr to get the boats down to the rope and get them ready to run. If a ramp were installed all of these problems would disappear and more time would be available for test and tune and qualifying.
Greg, we have said that about an in ramp at the starting line for years. We have been told it won't happen,don't know the reason. As far as too hot to race, that is BS. I have run at Marble Falls when it was well over 100 degrees. Augusta is always hot, some years are worse than others but always hot. I have run at Augusta almost every year since they have been having it. I was disapointed in the way this one was run it is usually run alot better. On a side note I met you several years ago when my brother and I picked up a 501 from your shop. It was candy apple red with a gold leaf flame job. I believe we bought it from two guys that were partners on it Shannon and Shaleen (sp?) That was along time ago had some great times in that boat.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lets here what happened from your perspective.

Total BULLSHIT !!!! I got there at 6:30am Friday morning to get ready to be at the ramp for test&tune @ 8, only to hang out till 10:30 or 11 before being called to the ramp, they said it was due to the paramedics not being on the scene but the Augusta reps said they were there before 8am .. I got in 3 passes Friday during T&T and made my Qualifying pass on Friday.. I knew there was gonna be a qualifying pass on Friday just cause that is what Lucas went to last year but it was not announced until Friday so I can understand where some guys got confused.. They couldn't start @ 8 because the river came up over night and messed the track up and then I think DeClark took half the buoys out on a pass:)hand .. They made the announcement that ME-QE would not be makin another pass due to the heat but PM and PO and TF warm em up .. About 30 drivers from the classes headed up to the in ramp to talk to Dollar and he said he was reconsidering it and for us to go back to our pits, NEVER herd another word !!!!! Drivers meeting got called and there were several pissed off drivers and Chastain just made it worse with what he said .. Pretty much I dont give a fuck and this meeting is over, and then it got alittle more heated when Shawn Reed just about got into it with somebody and then the sheriff got on the horn and told us to leave the area.. LOL, it was kinda crazy !!!! Could have been handled 1000 different ways than the way it was .. The guys from Augusta came over to talk to the drivers and kinda smoothed it over, they were alittle pissed at Lucas at the way things were handled. Showed up Sunday and ran the race and it seemed like everything went alot quicker and better .. I did get to tell Ken Dollar that we missed him at the drivers meeting at the in ramp, he just laughed ... I really think Dollar wanted to get us our runs but Chastain shut it down !!!!!

On a good note, I got my azz kicked by the great Greg Carr (hate running the guy 1st round) He ran a .07 to my .09 and got in 2nd chance and went some rounds and took home the win:))THumbsUp

Lets hope Wheatland goes better than Augusta did.. And after all these years of running this race you would think Augusta would add to ramp for the fuelers, it really slows everything down !!!!!

Good to see ya out there Hass, the boat looked pretty good out there on the pass I got to see.. Tell Jack to come over to a KDBA deal, they treat everybody the same and will try like hell to get you all the passes you wont .. You would love KY lake, its a awesome place to run ..

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think DeClark took half the buoys out on a pass:)hand ..

Whats up with that, guy takes out one bouy and gets blamed for the whole damn thing, damn bouy was 10ft into lane all weekend anyways
so between the show stoppers (capsule boats) and the filler boats (open boats) there appears to be no love? LOL

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Total BULLSHIT !!!! I got there at 6:30am Friday morning to get ready to be at the ramp for test&tune @ 8, only to hang out till 10:30 or 11 before being called to the ramp, they said it was due to the paramedics not being on the scene but the Augusta reps said they were there before 8am .. I got in 3 passes Friday during T&T and made my Qualifying pass on Friday.. I knew there was gonna be a qualifying pass on Friday just cause that is what Lucas went to last year but it was not announced until Friday so I can understand where some guys got confused.. They couldn't start @ 8 because the river came up over night and messed the track up and then I think DeClark took half the buoys out on a pass:)hand .. They made the announcement that ME-QE would not be makin another pass due to the heat but PM and PO and TF warm em up .. About 30 drivers from the classes headed up to the in ramp to talk to Dollar and he said he was reconsidering it and for us to go back to our pits, NEVER herd another word !!!!! Drivers meeting got called and there were several pissed off drivers and Chastain just made it worse with what he said .. Pretty much I dont give a fuck and this meeting is over, and then it got alittle more heated when Shawn Reed just about got into it with somebody and then the sheriff got on the horn and told us to leave the area.. LOL, it was kinda crazy !!!! Could have been handled 1000 different ways than the way it was .. The guys from Augusta came over to talk to the drivers and kinda smoothed it over, they were alittle pissed at Lucas at the way things were handled. Showed up Sunday and ran the race and it seemed like everything went alot quicker and better .. I did get to tell Ken Dollar that we missed him at the drivers meeting at the in ramp, he just laughed ... I really think Dollar wanted to get us our runs but Chastain shut it down !!!!!
How the hell did you squeeze in 3 laps fri. between 11am & noon when they started qualifying?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The issue seems to be Mike Chastain not what class boat that you are running.No respect for the racers. :)Unsure

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How the hell did you squeeze in 3 laps fri. between 11am & noon when they started qualifying?
We hammered down Hass. And qualifying didn't get started till 1:30 or 2. Where were you ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts