Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm with Farmers Insurance. Before I talk to them I have this question...Someone backed into my rear fender of my truck. Did not leave a note. I'm guessing $1500 in damage, maybe more. I have comprehensive coverage with a $240 deductible. Will my insurance cover the damage? Will my policy go up if I make a claim? Wanted some advise before I call my agent. I assume this is a comprehensive claim and not collision. Or will they just say it's not an insurance claim..I just have to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That is considered a collision loss. Don't report it since you do not have collision coverage . You might want to changes insurance companies in the future an even though you are fault free it could effect your rates. I was an agent with with Farmers for over 35 years. I am with an independent agency re-witing my former clients. Everything you report to your insurance company shows up, fault free or not, you would be surprised.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is considered a collision loss. Don't report it since you do not have collision coverage . You might want to changes insurance companies in the future an even though you are fault free it could effect your rates. I was an agent with with Farmers for over 35 years. I am with an independent agency re-witing my former clients. Everything you report to your insurance company shows up, fault free or not, you would be surprised.
I have collision coverage..I don't understand why it would be considered collision since the truck was parked and not a comprehensive claim..if it is collision will my rates go up? My collision deductable is $500 and my comprehensive is $240.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is considered "collision" because that is how the policy defines the accident.

Collision is typically defined as "collision with another vehicle or object" . Comprehensive coverage is all other causes of damage except those that are specifically excluded. Fire, theft, vandalism, flood, etc..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your rate should not go up since it is a non-fault accident. You will have to pay your deductible unless you have ID on the owner or driver of tbe other vehicle and collision deductible waiver coverage on your policy.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Huh??

I have collision coverage..I don't understand why it would be considered collision since the truck was parked and not a comprehensive claim..if it is collision will my rates go up? My collision deductable is $500 and my comprehensive is $240.
Yeah, you should be covered....I'm sure the insurance guy ^^^ didn't understand what you said about your coverage... The "comprehensive" part of your policy is for your vehicle, and should cover you for this as it would for vandalism, broken glass, theft, etc etc... The collision and liability should cover the other vehicle if you should happen to rear end some one, and the comprehension would then be used to fix you vehicle... I may be totally wrong here, but that is the way it was explained to me.... I can't speak about your rates, but at that much damage it would seem you really need to report it and get your vehicle fixed on their dime, minus the deductible. Why else would you be paying for it??? Maybe the definitions of collision and comprehensive some how over lap because it was an actual accident, ( I assume), and not an act of vandalism... Then again, maybe the "hit and run" some how changes things?? Either way, you are fault free and a victim, report it to the police and your insurance carrier...
Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yeah, you should be covered....I'm sure the insurance guy ^^^ didn't understand what you said about your coverage... The "comprehensive" part of your policy is for your vehicle, and should cover you for this as it would for vandalism, broken glass, theft, etc etc... The collision and liability should cover the other vehicle if you should happen to rear end some one, and the comprehension would then be used to fix you vehicle... I may be totally wrong here, but that is the way it was explained to me.... I can't speak about your rates, but at that much damage it would seem you really need to report it and get your vehicle fixed on their dime, minus the deductible. Why else would you be paying for it??? Maybe the definitions of collision and comprehensive some how over lap because it was an actual accident, ( I assume), and not an act of vandalism... Then again, maybe the "hit and run" some how changes things?? Either way, you are fault free and a victim, report it to the police and your insurance carrier...
Ray
Ray, you're right for once, in that you guessed you might be worng. Property damage(PD) covers the OTHER car, Personal Liability(PL) covers persons in the other vehical, and can cover people in yours, EXCEPT YOU. You and yare our family are covered under MEDICAL.

Comprehensive covers your car for things other than a accident involving another vehicle. Sand storms, floods, hail storms etc.

HOWEVER!!!!, The last time I had a veichle damage while parked, the insurance ran it under my "uninsured" and that carried a much lower deductable than my collison. And it did not affect my premiums, but the agent said it would be there on the record and could effect the premiums MORE in the event of another claim in the next 5 or so years. Never happened, and my premiums have stayed in line with a no claim rate.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
433 Posts
Comprehensive covers fire, theft, vandalism, breakage of glass, falling objects, winds storm, ect, everything except collision. Another vehicle hitting your car would be a collision. This would be a fault free collision loss and would not effect your rates, at least when I was with Farmers. In my previous post I thought you did not have collision coverage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ray, you're right for once, in that you guessed you might be worng. Property damage(PD) covers the OTHER car, Personal Liability(PL) covers persons in the other vehical, and can cover people in yours, EXCEPT YOU. You and yare our family are covered under MEDICAL.

Comprehensive covers your car for things other than a accident involving another vehicle. Sand storms, floods, hail storms etc.

HOWEVER!!!!, The last time I had a veichle damage while parked, the insurance ran it under my "uninsured" and that carried a much lower deductable than my collison. And it did not affect my premiums, but the agent said it would be there on the record and could effect the premiums MORE in the event of another claim in the next 5 or so years. Never happened, and my premiums have stayed in line with a no claim rate.
You are correct. Some states have uninsured motorist property damage coverage available. We don't in Nevada.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct. Some states have uninsured motorist property damage coverage available. We don't in Nevada.
In Idaho I do have uninsured motorist coverage. I just wanted to get all the necessary, important information together prior to calling the agent and then get boned. I just didn't want to get shanked. I didn't even consider the uninsured aspect because the truck was parked without a witness or note.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
In Idaho I do have uninsured motorist coverage. I just wanted to get all the necessary, important information together prior to calling the agent and then get boned. I just didn't want to get shanked. I didn't even consider the uninsured aspect because the truck was parked without a witness or note.
Farmers is going to consider it a hit and run and put it on your uninsured motorist coverage. It is not going to be on the collision portion of your policy. Using the uninsured motorist portion of your policy will not affect your rate. You will be responsible for paying the uninsured motorist deductible.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Farmers is going to consider it a hit and run and put it on your uninsured motorist coverage. It is not going to be on the collision portion of your policy. Using the uninsured motorist portion of your policy will not affect your rate. You will be responsible for paying the uninsured motorist deductible.
Thats pretty much how my agent explained it to me. If he ran it thru the uninsured it wouldn't effect my rates, and no deductable, or at least less, can't really remember. However, if I didn't have the uninsured, it still would have been covered under collision, but with a deductable, and it might have affected my rates. It would have at least been a "collision claim" that could have resulted in higher rates in the event of another claim, even if the next was a non fault collision as wellalso.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Thats pretty much how my agent explained it to me. If he ran it thru the uninsured it wouldn't effect my rates, and no deductable, or at least less, can't really remember. However, if I didn't have the uninsured, it still would have been covered under collision, but with a deductable, and it might have affected my rates. It would have at least been a "collision claim" that could have resulted in higher rates in the event of another claim, even if the next was a non fault collision as wellalso.
If your agent told you they would put that type of claim on your collision portion of your policy he/she needs to be retrained. If your state doesnt have uninsured motorist coverage it should go on the comp portion of the policy as a type of vandalism. Here you only have to have a single uninsured policy. One policy is transferable to every covered vehicle under the same roof. Here the deductible for uninsured is 250, which is set by the state.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
If your agent told you they would put that type of claim on your collision portion of your policy he/she needs to be retrained. If your state doesnt have uninsured motorist coverage it should go on the comp portion of the policy as a type of vandalism. Here you only have to have a single uninsured policy. One policy is transferable to every covered vehicle under the same roof. Here the deductible for uninsured is 250, which is set by the state.
Charlie, I think every state has different requirements for how that exact claim is handled. If you have unisured, then thats where the claim is made. However, I do know somebody that had a similar incident, no unisured, no comprehensive, no theft, no fire. And it was still covered. Here, MOST insurance carriers offer theft, fir and comp as a singular package. PL, PD grouped together, and Collison, uninsured, and under insured as add ons.
If you don't have uninsured, and the car is smacked, you MAY still covered under your collison. Depends on the state laws.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm Getting Boned

I think I'm getting boned...just talked with Farmers claim service..said it is going to be considered a collision claim..even though it's not my fault and the truck was unattended..$500 deductible and goes down on the record as the lowest form of collision...I looked up the Idaho Code for for uninsured motorists and it states it should be considered a hit and run and would fall under my uninsured motorist portion of my policy...it's bull shit.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Bingo. I went through this exact same thing last year when someone in the mall crashed into my car. The insurance covered it completely less the deductible and my rates didnt go up in January.

Your rate should not go up since it is a non-fault accident. You will have to pay your deductible unless you have ID on the owner or driver of tbe other vehicle and collision deductible waiver coverage on your policy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts