Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Ford Supercrew with a 5.4 starts running bad. 90K miles. I assume coil pack. Take it into the shop (not a dealer), to have codes scanned, diagnose the problem and get her fixxed.

Shop calls last week. Says the Intake manifold is leaking, and the coils are all fine.. o.k., I say. He pulls the intake, then calls me to tell me that the water jacket in the intake is eaten up (electrolysis in plastic?).. I go in and look, and sure enough, it's eaten up, and I doubt it'll seal much longer.. Note to self-- change antifreeze more often, I guess..

Now what? Shop says new intake is appx $500 for just the part.. ugg... I ask about used intake. He says 1 available for $150.00.. I'm thinking no brainer.. Used it is..

Now comes my question... After he puts the used one on, during the road test, it's leaking also-- right where plastic half meets aluminum half.. So we need another intake (which he finds).. So who pays the labor for the 2nd intake???? Is that his cost of doing business or in my court.. Should he have checked the original used intake before installing or is it still in my court.... I just don't know.. I'm not upset with mechanic in any way. I think he's doing his best. No issue there.

Just wondering about the labor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
852 Posts
For me it would depend on who obtained the used part... If I brought a used part to my mechanic and told him to install it, I'd be taking the risk if the part was bad. If my mechanic recommended a used part to me and it turned out to be bad, I'd expect credit for the used part and labor to replace it.

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
For me it would depend on who obtained the used part... If I brought a used part to my mechanic and told him to install it, I'd be taking the risk if the part was bad. If my mechanic recommended a used part to me and it turned out to be bad, I'd expect credit for the used part and labor to replace it.

Pretty much nailed it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I inquired about used part availability. He said he knew where one was and the cost. We used that one (that was bad).. So you're thinking he eats the additional labor?? 1st bad intake was already returned for credit (that shouldn't be an issue).

355 Posts
unfortunatley unless the used part came with a parts and labor warranty from the place the shop bought it or the shop has a labor warranty policy on used parts, the labor is on you. Most shops do not offer any kind of labor warranty on used parts. It is the risk you take for the money you try to save by using a used part. I am sure if you are cool about it the shop will probrably cut you a break on the labor cost, but they are not obligated to do so. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Most reputable used parts suppliers and recyclers will /should stand behind the parts they supply . Maybe give thought to asking the supplier to participate ? Tom

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
You've entered a gray zone imo based on what your agreement with mechanic was beforehand with regard to used part guarantee. Used stuff is usually bought / sold on an "as is" basis.

On the other hand a mechanic should probably recognize a potentially bad sealing surface and not recommend you use that particular part.

The gray area is where the part looked good enough where it would "probably" seal ok in his judgment, and you ok'ed wanting to save $300-400 vs the new part that would carry a guarantee.

That is a tough one and a good reason as a mechanic not to offer any sort of guarantee on used parts and make it perfectly clear to customer beforehand use it at their own risk.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I agree, since you wanted to go with a used one it's kind of a risk. Could have been something the mechanic just didn't spot when he put it on. If it were my shop I wouldn't charge you full labor rate to swap it out again, but would probably charge a little just for the time spent on doing it again.

·
detachable member
819 Posts
Like REX said what was the agreement on used part ?
At most shops there is no garantee on used parts only labor.....do not fault the shop for not seeing the crack...maybe is was not visable???
Talk to the owner of shop and work somthing out

Big Question is why would you want a used PLASTIC intake when the chances are all used ones leak or are about to leak....not a good thing while out on the 40 towin...
I know money is tight for everyone but somtimes you need to do it right the first time.

Oh and you are correct change that 100k coolant at least ever 60k..
I know this from being a service writer for many years and seeing many intake jobs from Chevy and Ford $$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
unfortunatley unless the used part came with a parts and labor warranty from the place the shop bought it or the shop has a labor warranty policy on used parts, the labor is on you. Most shops do not offer any kind of labor warranty on used parts. It is the risk you take for the money you try to save by using a used part. I am sure if you are cool about it the shop will probrably cut you a break on the labor cost, but they are not obligated to do so. Good Luck.

That's the way I see it.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
if no agreement was made about parts and labor on the used stuff and both of you recognize that, perhaps you can ask him to meet you half way on the labor for round 2. IMO u took the risk on the used part and there is never a warranty on used parts. however, maybe the mech should have/could have noticed the used part was bad then recommended a new part again. IMO shops should not be pushing used parts. i never use used parts cause shizz like this always happens to me and at the end of it all i was always out the same amount and was stuck with a used part in stead of a new part.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No clue about warranty. He found the intake. Need to look into this. Thanks!

Most reputable used parts suppliers and recyclers will /should stand behind the parts they supply . Maybe give thought to asking the supplier to participate ? Tom
Fingers are crossed!

You've entered a gray zone imo based on what your agreement with mechanic was beforehand with regard to used part guarantee. Used stuff is usually bought / sold on an "as is" basis.

On the other hand a mechanic should probably recognize a potentially bad sealing surface and not recommend you use that particular part.

The gray area is where the part looked good enough where it would "probably" seal ok in his judgment, and you ok'ed wanting to save $300-400 vs the new part that would carry a guarantee.

That is a tough one and a good reason as a mechanic not to offer any sort of guarantee on used parts and make it perfectly clear to customer beforehand use it at their own risk.

On the used intake, the leak isn't at the intake/head. It's between the top/bottom of the intake itself (where plastic meets aluminum).

I agree, since you wanted to go with a used one it's kind of a risk. Could have been something the mechanic just didn't spot when he put it on. If it were my shop I wouldn't charge you full labor rate to swap it out again, but would probably charge a little just for the time spent on doing it again.
Sounds fair to me.

Like REX said what was the agreement on used part ?
At most shops there is no garantee on used parts only labor.....do not fault the shop for not seeing the crack...maybe is was not visable???
Talk to the owner of shop and work somthing out

Big Question is why would you want a used PLASTIC intake when the chances are all used ones leak or are about to leak....not a good thing while out on the 40 towin...
I know money is tight for everyone but somtimes you need to do it right the first time.

Oh and you are correct change that 100k coolant at least ever 60k..
I know this from being a service writer for many years and seeing many intake jobs from Chevy and Ford $$$$$$$$.
I'm not mad at the shop, but they did say on the new (used again.. oh shit) intake, they're going to air and solvent test it.. Mighta been a good suggestion on the 1st used intake??

And I have had the radiator flushed twice since owning. I'm thinking they used (quick lube place) junk fluid..

if no agreement was made about parts and labor on the used stuff and both of you recognize that, perhaps you can ask him to meet you half way on the labor for round 2. IMO u took the risk on the used part and there is never a warranty on used parts. however, maybe the mech should have/could have noticed the used part was bad then recommended a new part again. IMO shops should not be pushing used parts. i never use used parts cause shizz like this always happens to me and at the end of it all i was always out the same amount and was stuck with a used part in stead of a new part.
He didn't push the used parts. It was my idea. Money's tight and it's just an intake. It's got no moving parts. What could go wrong??:)sphss Shit.

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
Common problem with fords. I wouldn't do the used part. Most parts houses will have it for half of the dealer and there brand new. The shops in my area won't warranty labor when a used part is involved

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Common problem with fords. I wouldn't do the used part. Most parts houses will have it for half of the dealer and there brand new. The shops in my area won't warranty labor when a used part is involved
Damm.. Wish I knew about this option as a choice "C".. Assumed it was a dealer only item, based on what shop said for price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have seen the local NAPA want more for parts then the dealers. You have to watch them. Also I make it VERY clear that there is NO WARRANTY of any kind on used parts.Guess how many times I have been paid for doing the same job twice by someone wanting to use used junk? You get what you pay for with auto parts.

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
I have seen the local NAPA want more for parts then the dealers. You have to watch them. Also I make it VERY clear that there is NO WARRANTY of any kind on used parts.Guess how many times I have been paid for doing the same job twice by someone wanting to use used junk? You get what you pay for with auto parts.
I can speak first hand and my napa sells that parts for half of the dealer. Most people don't know but there are 2 different napa stores. Corporate and independent. Our prices are controlled were the independent guy can charge what ever he wants. Most of ur rural areas napas are independent owned.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's all on the shop. You paid to have it fixed weather it takes the 10 trys or 1 try to get it fixed. He put a bad part on or did not do something right it's on him. Other wise you could be paying several times till he gets it right, NOT!

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
It's all on the shop. You paid to have it fixed weather it takes the 10 trys or 1 try to get it fixed. He put a bad part on or did not do something right it's on him. Other wise you could be paying several times till he gets it right, NOT!
"I GUESS"...if he had bought and placed on the new $500 part.......THEN THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE!
:|err

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
If you found a part and told him to put it on is one thing. He found this part and said it was good to go. It should be on him.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts