Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's been a post or two about aviation fuel, but the search engine doesn't show any. Just looking for input, pro's n con's. Actual octane rating, etc., just want to learn how well or poorly it will work with my supercharged engine. THANKS !

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Did your engine come out of a plane Chris.....??lol You will be fine at 10psi and 92 with your new set up buddy! If need be, buy some good fuel and not look back, as much as you are invested in that beast of yours I would not risk it.

Maybe BUSBY will chime in or contact him, he will get you all the info you need!

Travis

·
Registered
320 Posts
100 LL is good fuel.
Lakesonly did a great write up on it back on the other forum.

I'm at 8.75 static, 9.5 lbs. boost and 32 deg. total timing-never an issue with 100LL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
run ave gas for years nothing rong with it thats why planes use it i allways put some marvels mystery oil in the tank with it because there is now lubricant in it

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link guys. I wish peeps would post up what timing they are running with Av gas. I too have plenty of friends that have run it for years w/o any troubles.

I currently am running an Ford Racing block, 547 cu, Diamond pistons, 9:1 static, 32* locked, 8 lbs of boost currently (but am changing pulleys to try for 10-12). I am pulling timing out right now, but was wondering if or how much I would need to with Av fuel ?

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Thanks for the link guys. I wish peeps would post up what timing they are running with Av gas. I too have plenty of friends that have run it for years w/o any troubles.

I currently am running an Ford Racing block, 547 cu, Diamond pistons, 9:1 static, 32* locked, 8 lbs of boost currently (but am changing pulleys to try for 10-12). I am pulling timing out right now, but was wondering if or how much I would need to with Av fuel ?

Not sure bout boost, but I know of a coupla guys runnin it in 13:1, 500"+ BBCs 32* total.

·
Registered
320 Posts

I posted my specs.
I assume you are running alum. heads? Intercooled?
My total timing is all in at 2500 rpm, 32 total.

·
Registered
320 Posts
AL heads, intercooled, Jacketed Lightnings, Dom 1050's worked over by Jim Guthrie.
That ought to pin your ears back in a 21 jet.:D

I run a 502 w/ a 3.3 I/C Whipple, single 1095 king demon rs, jetted 95 primary and 110 secondary. No PV's. Tuned it with an a/f meter. It was tough getting enough fuel through the one carb. I run a bypass Aeromotive set up @ 9.5 lbs. fuel pressure.
13 seconds from in-gear idle to 110 on gps.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That ought to pin your ears back in a 21 jet.:D

I run a 502 w/ a 3.3 I/C Whipple, single 1095 king demon rs, jetted 95 primary and 110 secondary. No PV's. Tuned it with an a/f meter. It was tough getting enough fuel through the one carb. I run a bypass Aeromotive set up @ 9.5 lbs. fuel pressure.
13 seconds from in-gear idle to 110 on gps.
What Regulator are you running? Are you running 9.5 at idle...? I would be supprised it is not blowing the needles open!

I run a bypass areomotive 13202 regulator that goes 1 to 1 under boost and idle at 5.5-6 psi. So at 10lbs of boost my fuel pressure would be 16, or 26 at 20 lbs of boost.

Travis

·
Registered
320 Posts
What Regulator are you running? Are you running 9.5 at idle...? I would be supprised it is not blowing the needles open!

I run a bypass areomotive 13202 regulator that goes 1 to 1 under boost and idle at 5.5-6 psi. So at 10lbs of boost my fuel pressure would be 16, or 26 at 20 lbs of boost.

Travis
Yes 9.5 at idle. Right at the threshold, but that is what it took to keep it fed at wot. I tried various setups including boost ref. the regulator. This worked best overall. I think it's the 13207? off top of my head.
-10 all the way to regulator, each -6 goes to one bowl of carb.
pictures...

Attachments

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
468", 12# non-IC boost. 32*, run av gas all day long. Have been for years.
I do blend mine down: 30g av to 5g of 93. I run high fuel pressure also, close to 9 at idle, but wot is 4-5.

·
i'm back!!
687 Posts
The old "green" av gas..110/130 was great, as good as C12 ran it for years,12-1 with 175 shot. the new "blue" 100ll I just treat as 96 octane and also add some 2 stroke oil or vp M1 for lube..10 psi zero issues...race gas is really insane if u burn 100+ gal a weekend......but its always C16 for a heavy boost load.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I run 100ll with Marvel in my Teague 1100's. 572 CI, 11 lbs boost 32 degrees locked out, 8.5 static comp
Why would you guys be running oil in your fuel??? 100LL is Low Lead (LL). There is lead in there, which is a lubricant for the valve seats. All of your motors have hard-seats in them for unleaded anyway. So the LL is above and beyond what the motor needs.

You lubing the fuel pump(s)?? Carburetor(s)?? Lycoming and Continental aircraft piston engines don't need any fuel lubricant - curious as to why you guys think it needs to be in there??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts