Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week while going from Huntington Beach then through Banning CA to my place at Havasu Springs towing my new 07 Magic 28" deck just purchased 2 weeks before as a Repo a CHP stopped me at 9pm-yeah, at night! he said he noticed one of my chains danggling but more importantly that my boat had an AZ tag and the trailer a CA plate! My reply "so what"! He gave me a fix it ticket saying that I could not avoid fees and needed to pay CA fees? I tried to tell him the boat would be storred and only used in AZ but he would not have it. I talked to AZ fish and game and they said maybe CA is hard up and they had never heard of such a thing and said maybe if the boat was in the water but not on a trailer! Anyone else have this problem? I opted to send in the 425 for fix it after getting it signed off-

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Last week while going from Huntington Beach then through Banning CA to my place at Havasu Springs towing my new 07 Magic 28" deck just purchased 2 weeks before as a Repo a CHP stopped me at 9pm-yeah, at night! he said he noticed one of my chains danggling but more importantly that my boat had an AZ tag and the trailer a CA plate! My reply "so what"! He gave me a fix it ticket saying that I could not avoid fees and needed to pay CA fees? I tried to tell him the boat would be storred and only used in AZ but he would not have it. I talked to AZ fish and game and they said maybe CA is hard up and they had never heard of such a thing and said maybe if the boat was in the water but not on a trailer! Anyone else have this problem? I opted to send in the 425 for fix it after getting it signed off-
Fight it, the chp officer does not understand the law and has it twisted around.

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
ask boat cop on this?but mine was nev on the boat and ut on the trailer,boat is reg where you boat 51% of the time,tell the cop to pound sand,it would be like trailering a out of state car on a calie trailer"pound sand sir";)

·
IAFF local 1067
492 Posts
My boat is registered in Az. and the trailer in Ca. I was pulled over for speeding several years back and the CHP. officer never said a word about the trailer and the boat. I have towed back and forth many many times without a problem. I think the CHP. Officer that pulled you over made a mistake.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A boat on a trailer is no different than furniture in a U-haul, it's CARGO
If the trailer registration is legit your good, he has no authority over the vessel registration, except maybe to check proof of ownership.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wanna know what violation he wrote you for? dont think there is one for that unless you are towing with a AZ driver lic. AZ lets you reg as a non resident and fyi its not much cheaper, the only benifit is not having a lux tax on your property tax in CA. total BS:(:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
A boat on a trailer is no different than furniture in a U-haul, it's CARGO
If the trailer registration is legit your good, he has no authority over the vessel registration, except maybe to check proof of ownership.
when I reg mine CA dmv wanted me to reg the boat too, I told them to pound sand....:)devil

·
IDGAF
2,872 Posts
Actually I belive the CHP officer was wrong as his juristiction is whats on the highway, not whats on a trailer. you were in calif and had ca plates on the trailer, so you paid your calif fees. where and what is on the trailer is not the issue. Now had you had say a cal license and the trailer registered in az, that could be construed as avoiding to pay your calif vehicle taxes and fees.
I was stopped years ago because my motor home had oregon plates and my boat and trailer had calif plates and my license and res was in calif, even though the Motor home was registered in my and my moms name and at her address in oregon. After a long lecture and threat I decided it wasn't worth the fight and reregistered the MH in cal.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
If you have a CA drivers license, you must have CA plates on your truck and trailer.
I did not see where you mentioned having CA plates on your truck? Is this why you where stopped perhaps?
Let us assume you have CA plates and DL, that being the case as said above it does not matter what sits on top of the trailer.
Fight it, the officer is wrong in this case. At least that's my opinion.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
these guys are right, that trailer is a carrier and subject to registration, you could have a car on it expired in 1972 from Arizona and be ok.

·
Resident Legal Counsel
54 Posts
Bulls*@#--- I would fight it as well, since I also register my hull in AZ as a "Non-Resident"---legally just like many others., I believe you have a case.

Boatcop, are we wrong on this one?

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
what section did he cite you for on your ticket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You Must Take Out Of State Delivery And Not Bring Your Boat Into CA For A Min. Of One Year Or They Can Tax You. CA Has Gone As Far As Videoing Boats On The River And Contacting The CA Res. To Inform Them They Owe CA Portion Of Tax. I Am MT Reg. and Read The Rules 3X To Be Sure I Didn't Get Busted.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Boat Registration is only in play when the boat is "In Use". That means floating. (FYI, it doesn't have to be occupied. Even tied to a dock or in a slip is "In Use".

On a trailer, it doesn't have to be registered at all, or it can be expired.

The only laws that would apply regarding the registration while it's on the trailer are fictitious (fake) numbers, altered decal, or fictitious decals.

Fight the ticket and make the Chippy look like a fool in court. Or get a meeting with his supervisor and have it dismissed without going to court.

Here are the applicable CA laws:

VC-9850

Every undocumented vessel using the waters or on the waters
of this state shall be currently numbered.
No person shall operate
nor shall any county, city, or political subdivision give permission
for the operation of any undocumented vessel on those waters unless
the undocumented vessel is numbered in accordance with this chapter,
or in accordance with applicable federal law, or in accordance with a
federally approved numbering system of another state,
and unless (1)
the certificate of number issued to such undocumented vessel is in
full force and effect, and (2) the identifying number set forth in
the certificate of number is displayed on each side of the bow of the
undocumented vessel for which the identifying number was issued.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts