Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else running one of these pans? how's it work?

I bought the 10qt. deal from Rex, and seem to now have a oil pressure loss above 4000 or so RPMs....drops to about 20 psi. Get out of the throttle and it pops back up to 60psi or so.

I've tried a cheapo parts store oil filter as well as the Fram racing filter, which is supposed to filter less but flow considerably more with no real change. Just wondering if these pans like less oil in them than 10 quarts (with the filter)?

I'm using the stock bypass style filter adapter and running a good quality 10/40 conventional oil.

I kicked around the idea of all the oil getting stuck in heads, but in that case I think I'd see quite a bit of oil out of the breathers, which are not baffled...and there's none.

The motor is coming out this week...so just looking for ideas. The pickup, IIRC is set about 3/8" - 1/2" off the bottom of the pan.

· Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Is anyone else running one of these pans? how's it work?

I bought the 10qt. deal from Rex, and seem to now have a oil pressure loss above 4000 or so RPMs....drops to about 20 psi. Get out of the throttle and it pops back up to 60psi or so.

I've tried a cheapo parts store oil filter as well as the Fram racing filter, which is supposed to filter less but flow considerably more with no real change. Just wondering if these pans like less oil in them than 10 quarts (with the filter)?

I'm using the stock bypass style filter adapter and running a good quality 10/40 conventional oil.

I kicked around the idea of all the oil getting stuck in heads, but in that case I think I'd see quite a bit of oil out of the breathers, which are not baffled...and there's none.

The motor is coming out this week...so just looking for ideas. The pickup, IIRC is set about 3/8" - 1/2" off the bottom of the pan.
Pat I've had this before (similar) from oil "climbing" the rear counter weight on hard accell There a small baffle the sandwiches between the block and OP available to help "control" this from Milodon or Moroso Tom

· Administrator
11,501 Posts
windage....too much oil. take out 2 quarts. most 10 quart pans only can utilize about 8 before hitting the crank and foaming the oil, causing the lose of pressure.
I agree, try this. Foam up the oil and pressure will drop like a rock.

· Premium Member
1,644 Posts
That pan has an acceleration baffle on the back side to keep the oil from climbing up the back of the pan.

How much stroke is in the engine?

Have you got a HV pump or a STd volume pump in the engine?

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That pan has an acceleration baffle on the back side to keep the oil from climbing up the back of the pan.

How much stroke is in the engine?

Have you got a HV pump or a STd volume pump in the engine?
Melling HV pump...4.25" stroke

· Registered
538 Posts
Wow, same issue as mine again!! (except I have the Milodon pan) That rear baffle wont fit my engine due to studs on the mains...if the baffle is trimmed, not much would be left. I'm also losing pressure while on a run-in stand, so it's not from acceleration. Also tried raising or lowering the oil level to no avail...

· Administrator
11,501 Posts
There are many issues that can cause loss of oil pressure.

Too much oil, not enough oil, incorrectly positioned pickup too close or far from bottom of pan, cracked pickup tube sucking air, collapsed oil filter, too much clearance, drainback restriction of some type, incorrectly plumbed remote filter, internal oil pump issue, poor windage control or baffeling, stuck one way door in pan around pickup on pans that have such feature, assembly silicone collected on pickup screen letting some oil through but not enough, probably many others as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.