Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Randy what blades did you use to cut the bottom? I cut out the holes for my lights on the trailer and the fiber glass was 1/4" thick and I ran through 8 blades to cut the 2x8 ovals.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Looking good Randolph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
2,925 Posts
Yo Big Ern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWIPE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)devil:)devil:)devil:)devil:)devil:)devil

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy what blades did you use to cut the bottom? I cut out the holes for my lights on the trailer and the fiber glass was 1/4" thick and I ran through 8 blades to cut the 2x8 ovals.
Cave we used a sawsall, cut like butter:)hand

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Daytona

I hope I'm wrong but I think that is one of the 19's that the Herberts modified for the outboard class. Are you going to set the intake in the this boat the way the bottom is?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope I'm wrong but I think that is one of the 19's that the Herberts modified for the outboard class. Are you going to set the intake in the this boat the way the bottom is?
no we made a few changes, and added some keel should work out pretty good

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
19 Daytona

Back in day when the mod vp class was a popular race boat a number of outboard racers had there own ideas on how they wanted the bottom of the Daytona.It's look's like you've got on these boats.If what I see in the pictures is correct you've got your work cut out for you. If what I see is true this boat has been modified to really air out with an outboard. This bottom is not friendly to a jet boat installation. The outside sponsons have been modified and the center keel has been really modified for more lift which is not the way you want to go with a jet drive.

·
2,925 Posts
Hey Randy, I would listen to Greg!!!!! He is "THE MAN" when it comes to setting up Daytonas. He sets them up and has raced them for years. He knows his schit;)

Spitter

·
2,925 Posts
:))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:))

Please elaborate why you posted that? Randy has owned some very fast boats. He is no rookie by any means but like us all, he is still learning

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Back in day when the mod vp class was a popular race boat a number of outboard racers had there own ideas on how they wanted the bottom of the Daytona.It's look's like you've got on these boats.If what I see in the pictures is correct you've got your work cut out for you. If what I see is true this boat has been modified to really air out with an outboard. This bottom is not friendly to a jet boat installation. The outside sponsons have been modified and the center keel has been really modified for more lift which is not the way you want to go with a jet drive.
hey greg, if i'm seeing it correctly, it looks like the outter sponsons have been "shallowed" about 3-4' forward of the transom, almost creating a "step"? then, there's a large drop in the center sponson? don't recall ever seeing anything like that on a deep tunnel before.. would probably ride like a stock southwind, and get real wobbly at certain speeds... :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've had at length discussions with a few people about bottoms of daytona's since my latest build of my GS 19' Daytona. One thing that I mentioned a while ago when pics were posted of this boat are the steps on the outer sponsons. raising the outer sponsons in relationship to the center keel is not a good idea for a jet. I would add aluminum plates or fill those steps. If you are putting big power to that boat, I would be very careful.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I've had at length discussions with a few people about bottoms of daytona's since my latest build of my GS 19' Daytona. One thing that I mentioned a while ago when pics were posted of this boat are the steps on the outer sponsons. raising the outer sponsons in relationship to the center keel is not a good idea for a jet. I would add aluminum plates or fill those steps. If you are putting big power to that boat, I would be very careful.
i got tired of the real nasty southwind wobble years ago, added 1" air dams to the inside of the outter sponsons. that worked so well, i added another inch, and have been running it that way for over 3 years now. i'd almost like to try another inch if i could find suitable angle... but, a southwind isn't a daytona, so i don't know that air dams are gonna work that well on one of those...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts