Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
Started my new job today.
After 4 months (to the day) of job searching online, and going out and banging down doors...
Made the move (cross-country) to Tempe 4 months ago due to the wife's promotion. We worked for the same Co. and they were making promises of having a position for me also. They never came through. I had to resign after six years, constant promotions, and progression through the Co.
The economy tanked right at the time we made the decision to make the move.
So, I was not eligible for unemployment benefits. We've been paying for two residences because we can't sell the place back in Kentucky - and we're almost looking forward to taking a loss just to make it go away. And we've been doing this only on her income. This set us back several months to come.

I'm just glad to be back to work. I'm just a guy that likes to work. The hours aren't ideal, and the $$ is a little less than what I was used to, but not unreasonable, and they are pretty fair for the position. It'll require a little adjustment for me from what I was used to, but I'm just thankful to have a good job, and stay in my industry with the opportunity to still move up.
I guess I'm just saying my Thank You to some prayers answered, and hoping the best for you other guys/gals that have been looking for work.
It felt great to go back to work today, and I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Congrats and sounds like the company who hired you is going to be the big winner.

If there is a silver lining to this whole mess, I wonder how many people needed ( and got ) an attitude adjustment about work?? Definitely not saying you did, but working is a privledge and not a right. Seems many people I knew/know had really be abusing the system in the past.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats and sounds like the company who hired you is going to be the big winner.

If there is a silver lining to this whole mess, I wonder how many people needed ( and got ) an attitude adjustment about work?? Definitely not saying you did, but working is a privledge and not a right. Seems many people I knew/know had really be abusing the system in the past.
Searching for a job was a pretty humbling experience. And you are right, I needed a little attitude adjustment - I'll admit it now.
In the past, I've owned my own business (for 6 yrs), and managed employees at three other businesses (up to 25 people at a time).
I've never been one to abuse the system, but I've watched as others have taken advantage, and I was the one that paid (by covering their hours, or fixing their mistakes). When I resigned, I was maxed out on accumulated vacation and sick time - I always felt the need to be at work.
But, I realized the need to "Suck it up" and know that this employer doesn't know me yet, and they are only hearing what I tell them about my work ethic. That is something that I need to go and prove once again.
It's a bitch starting over, but it was the right choice for me and my wife. It puts her in the position we had planned on 5 yrs ago. I'm just the house boy, she's the Exec.:p

With your attitude they will be glad you showed up.:D
Thank You.
I take that as quite a compliment.
Thank You.

· Administrator
11,501 Posts

Ain't that the truth. Easy money breeds an entitlement mentality I have found in many cases. A lot of that goin around in the past decade. Congratulations Buoy on the job. They are tough to come by right now in most industries.

Work ethic is primary with me as an employer. Screw offs don't get by too long once I realize there's a problem. The employees that get the job done while the boss is not watching are the ones that impress (in any industry). In 35 years I have employed probably in the rhelm of 80-100 people. Some lasted a week or two, many just a little longer, some a year or two, and only a few long term 5 years +. Unfortunately a fair number were screwoffs or at least not hard workers. It sounds like you are one of the few with a platinum grade work ethic. Again kudos to getting the new job and good luck to you.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ain't that the truth. Easy money breeds an entitlement mentality I have found in many cases. A lot of that goin around in the past decade. Congratulations Buoy on the job. They are tough to come by right now in most industries.

Work ethic is primary with me as an employer. Screw offs don't get by too long once I realize there's a problem. The employees that get the job done while the boss is not watching are the ones that impress (in any industry). In 35 years I have employed probably in the rhelm of 80-100 people. Some lasted a week or two, many just a little longer, some a year or two, and only a few long term 5 years +. Unfortunately a fair number were screwoffs or at least not hard workers. It sounds like you are one of the few with a platinum grade work ethic. Again kudos to getting the new job and good luck to you.
Thank You. I truly appreciate that coming from you.
We've never met, but I know your reputation, and have dealt with your business in the past - all good.

I've fired guys before on their first day. After 30 minutes of orientation, the kids first question was "When's lunch"... I knew it wasn't going to go well on a cold day, February, working outside in Michigan. By the end of the day, I told him not to come back the next day. I actually had to deal with a phone call from his mother the next morning as to why he got canned. He just wasn't cut out for it.

Thanks for the well wishes Mike, and I'm sure we'll be able to meet up and shake hands, maybe tip a beverage, sooner rather than later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.