·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Pictures and everything. Nice.

MMmmmmmmmm Bacon. :)devil

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Slice the Bacon Explosion into quarter to half inch rounds to serve. If your roll was good and tight, you should now see a nice bacon pinwheel pattern throughout the sausage. Obviously pork is best served by itself, but if you feel the need to make this meat monster into a sandwich, try placing a couple Bacon Explosion slices on a warm Pillsbury’s Grands Biscuit. You’ll reach pork Nirvana is no time flat!
This is gonna be the hit of the SuperBowl Party.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Whoa! More like artery explosion. Where do I sign up?:D

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Tossed one on the smoker at about an hour ago. :|err

·
Extraordinarily good
215 Posts
Never, I mean NEVER, cook bacon naked

·
Registered
629 Posts
I made the bacon explosion for the superbowl but, did not smoke it.

Here's what I think.......

The dry rub both inside and out is too much.
The dry rub and the bacon also made it pretty salty.
If I was to use a dry rub again, I would make my own and leave out most or all of the salt.

Going to cook it next time with out any dry rub. The dry rub overpowers the bacon and sausage really. On top of the sausage, I will be putting in a lot of garlic, onions and peppers. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce all over the outside after it is cooked.

Also, I forgot to roll the sausage up first and then wrap the bacon around it. I wrapped the bacon and sausage together into a roll. It actually looks really nice that way when you slice it up. The bacon is throughout the loaf in a spiral.

My first try on a one to ten scale.......6/7 ish Everyone tried it but, no seconds. There's a LOT of room for improvement!!!!

Jim

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
I made the bacon explosion for the superbowl but, did not smoke it.

Here's what I think.......

The dry rub both inside and out is too much.
The dry rub and the bacon also made it pretty salty.
If I was to use a dry rub again, I would make my own and leave out most or all of the salt.

Going to cook it next time with out any dry rub. The dry rub overpowers the bacon and sausage really. On top of the sausage, I will be putting in a lot of garlic, onions and peppers. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce all over the outside after it is cooked.

Also, I forgot to roll the sausage up first and then wrap the bacon around it. I wrapped the bacon and sausage together into a roll. It actually looks really nice that way when you slice it up. The bacon is throughout the loaf in a spiral.

My first try on a one to ten scale.......6/7 ish Everyone tried it but, no seconds. There's a LOT of room for improvement!!!!

Jim
Yep, a salt free dry rub.
I make it by mixing a little ground garlic, COSTCO salt free seasoning and Lawry's seasoned pepper

Jimmy Dean orig ground sausage works great.

Oscar Mayer thick and lean bacon works good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnBJM4KrV4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIS73NmZBco&feature=related

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I wondered what this thread was about, there called fatties, or the breakfast ones are chubbys. Here's a pic of 1 I did a month or so ago.
1/2 lb sausage
1.5 lbs ground elk
in the center swiss, sautaed(sp) shrooms, golden mushroom soup, and more bacon.
smoked with apple and a lil hickory.

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Mine came out fabulous.

I didn't use a rub, just sprinkled on ground pepper with some powdered garlic and onion.

I used maple sausage and hickory smoked bacon. Next time I think I'll put a thin layer of ham on top of the sausage before rolling it up.

Should've put a thicker layer of BBQ sauce inside. The coat of BBQ sauce on the outside got a little dark but tasted fine. Next time I might wait an hour before putting the outside layer on.

Used cheapy hamburgur buns with a little bit of mustard. My son had a couple of his team mates over and they devoured 'em quickly (not that that is any real indication of how good it was, since high school aged boys will eat everything in sight).

This is a must do recipe. It tasted better then I expected.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made one for lunch saturday. It was awesome. A crap load of grease comes out of this thing. Don't put it right over the flame on a grill.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts